Formal Attire / Dining

Stout Drinker

I'll be going on the Sun in a few months. I know with freestyle cruising there isn't a mandatory formal clothes requirement. However is there a designated day where a lot of people are dressed formally or semi-formally?

If so would you feel out of place if you weren't all dressed up?

My preference would not to be formal but my wife would probably like it. Its one of the many things we need to negotiate!!!

Thanks.

I'll be going on the Sun in a few months. I know with freestyle cruising there isn't a mandatory formal clothes requirement. However is there a designated day where a lot of people are dressed formally or semi-formally?

If so would you feel out of place if you weren't all dressed up?

My preference would not to be formal but my wife would probably like it. Its one of the many things we need to negotiate!!!

Thanks.

Dress up night is optional. Im going on the Sun in Jan and have NO plans of packing (lighter luggage:D ) or wearing any dress clothes. That is why I love NCL. You will not feel out of place at all.

you will see some...not as many as other cruiselines. it's nice to watch people in their "dress-up" clothes. watch the daily newsletter for when it is for your cruise. usually it's the 1st sea day. you will see everything from long gowns, after-5 dresses to jeans. DH does kahkis and print shirt (sometimes pull-over, sometimes buttons), i do black pants and dressy top. she can wear a formal gown and you can wear resort casual...both of you can be happy.

Will be on the Sun in Jan with adult "kids" - all ten of them (which includes spouses) - think most will go resort casual - some dressy (probably the girls). Guys are delighted that they don't have to dress up (including mine) but that the rest of us can. One nice thing about Free Style - doing one's own thing seems really reasonable - and relaxed!

We just returned from the Pearl. We brought formal clothes because we like to dress up. However, there were not many couples that did and, there was no specail dining area(that I could tell) where the "formal night" was suggested. So, as another poster said, you saw evening gowns and blue jeans. If I ever take another NCL cruise, I will not bring formal clothes at all. If I want to go formal I will go with Celebrity, RCI, HAL, etc. This was my second "freestyle cruise" and I have decided that freestyle is not for me.

If you don't dress up on your cruise, you won't be the only one since I'm not going to either :p To me, the Carribean cruises scream "casual" - it can be way too hot and humid to wear formal clothes in my opinion. Plus, with luggage restrictions, it's a lot easier to just pack comfortable , casual clothing. But if you decide to make your wife happy and dress up, you won't be alone. On my Jewel cruise, I bet around 50% of the people were dressed up on the optional formal night (and they looked quite nice).

i had to fight with DH to get him to wear long pants...in a few years he will be 60 and still wants to wear shorts everywhere, all year round.

we CAN dress up if we HAVE to..but, thank goodness, for NCL we don't have to and can dress for comfort. when we go to hot climates with long day on tours...dressing up is not prime on our minds. never worry about what others, around you, are doing...if she wants to dress up...let her and tell her who great she looks...even if you are in kahkis.

dressing casual has only improved our cruising experience.

I am going on the spirt and January and had the same question. I was thinking of just bringing my black cocktail dress and telling the bf to wear his suit. He mentioned bringing his tux (I think his idea is he owns it so might as well wear it?), but I would rather him wear the suit....

I am going on the spirt and January and had the same question. I was thinking of just bringing my black cocktail dress and telling the bf to wear his suit. He mentioned bringing his tux (I think his idea is he owns it so might as well wear it?), but I would rather him wear the suit....

Tell him to bring both, we were on the Dawn in Sept. everyone dressed nicely for dinner, never seen any jeans the entire cruise.

Archived