Gatwick to Heathrow?

auntdot

I also posted this on the British Isles thread - but maybe this is a better place...

In October we will likely be flying into Gatwick from Venice - and then out of Heathrow to Toronto on BA. Would we be better to overnight near Heathrow for our return flight? or if we can make the times work, how would we get from Gatwick to Heathrow for a same day return (if we used a different carrier from Venice??) Or any other suggestions to make this easy!!

Thanks,

Dot

The best way to do this is via the National Express coach service(http://www.nationalexpress.com). The coaches run every 10-15 minutes between 2 am and 11:30 pm abd cost 19 GBP per person. The coach stops at Heathrow Terminal 4 and then terminates at the Central Bus station (about a ten minute walk to the other terminals through the tunnel system). I have done this, and it's very efficient.

A big factor will the time of day you get into Gatwick. The coach trip does take 70 minutes airport-airport barring any unforseen traffic problems. I'd probably be inclined to get to Heathrow the night before just for the peace of mind if I had an early flight. If you have at least 6 hours between flights you may be able to do it the same day.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Julia

I also posted this on the British Isles thread - but maybe this is a better place...

In October we will likely be flying into Gatwick from Venice - and then out of Heathrow to Toronto on BA. Would we be better to overnight near Heathrow for our return flight? or if we can make the times work, how would we get from Gatwick to Heathrow for a same day return (if we used a different carrier from Venice??) Or any other suggestions to make this easy!!

Thanks,

Dot

National Express-travels between the two airports-at least 2 buses per hour. Takes about 1.5 hours between airports, so allow plenty of time between flights (at least 4 hours).

It is relatively easy-if DH can figure it out by himself, it is definitely easy. He HATES traveling overseas by himself. I booked the bus online, he had the voucher and somehow found the bus, made it to Gatwick from LHR, and got on the plane to Amsterdam. He was able to do it in reverse successfully.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/airports/airports.cfm?t=air

Just a quickie...

No airlines fly from LHR to Venice so despite the annoying connection you'd do better to do it with BA all the way. You can check your bags right through to Toronto at Venice and you'll get your longhaul baggage allowance.

Just a quickie...

No airlines fly from LHR to Venice so despite the annoying connection you'd do better to do it with BA all the way. You can check your bags right through to Toronto at Venice and you'll get your longhaul baggage allowance.

Actually British Midland flies between Heathrow and Venice. But as you said, with two separate tickets, the passenger is subject to the 20 kilo (44 pound) per person limit on luggage for the flights within Europe. Technically, this limit applies even if flying BA between Venice and Gatwick IF the Venice-Gatwick flight is a separate ticket. Often airlines give you the transatlantic weight limit if you have a connecting flight with them.

NOTE: you can NOT check your luggage from Venice to Toronto if you have an airport change in London. Years ago that was true but it has been 5-10 years since BA transferred baggage between Gatwick and Heathrow. If you change airports, you must carry your own luggage with you.

John

If you are thinking of staying overnight at Heathrow, you can look at the website below. It is the Heathrow airport offical website, listing all the nearby airport hotels.

They are all situated on the perimeter of the airport and transport to /from the airport is provided by frequent shuttle services.

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/hotels.html

If you are flying out from Heathrow terminal 4, consider Yotel, a new hotel being opened inside the terminal from 1st December. There is already one in Gatwick airport. The rooms are about 80-110 sq feet in size, with bed and bathroom, and one can hire it for a minimum of 4 hours. It is certainly cheaper than a hotel room, and you won't have to sleep in the airport.

https://www.yotel.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived