Blue Footed Booby

amyaacc

Anyone had experience in Puerta Vallarta of seeing these birds? It seems they are only on the Marietas Islands?

I am on the Ryndam over New Years and the tour to the Marietas takes all day---even though the ride out there is less than an hour. My husband and I are torn because there is so much to do and so little time, and we were targeting other tours before we realized this may be the only opportunity to see the booby. We would love to get out there and see this bird---but don't need to waste half the day hanging out on the beach and doing whatever else. Anyone know of shorter trips? Or could one get a water taxi? Or perhaps you will tell me that cruising into port they are visible???

thanks in advance for any advice,

Amy

Yes, we have seen them on Mariettas island.

Those islands are out at the far beginning of the bay, I think too far away for the small watertaxis. You probably better take a tour.

No ship can dock there and no persons are allowed on the islands.

Tours incl. snorkeling a.o. are offered, but remember you can only see the birds while sailing close to the shore and around the island.

We booked a whale-watch tour at the end of the season and the only way to see them was sailing far out, which in this case included a view of the Mariettas.

Archived