Cash for Sail & Sign vs. credit card

oasis05

Any tips on the best method? I'm leary about using my credit card and having a hold placed on it. Just how is this handled? I read that you can write CASH across Sail & Sign form. Does this mean that final bill payment can be made using cash instead of a credit card transaction?

Why are you leery about using a credit card? You have some protection against erroneous charges using your credit card; you can contest charges you think are wrong or unfair. If you like paying off your bill in cash, you can do so at the end of your cruise at the purser's desk.

You can open your S&S account with cash also, but you will need to visit the purser's desk to add more money to your account as you exhaust your deposit. Who needs that hassle?

i use both methods and neither on is a problem. I go to the pursers desk first thin when I board the ship anyway because I get dramamine from them. The minimum you need to put on your account is the amount of tips. Anything else is up to you depending on what you are planning on spending.

We always use our CC and pay it off at the end of the cruise. However, we had our CC number stolen and it was used by someone from the ship. The ship was the only place on the entire trip that we used this particular CC. The day we got home from the ship, the CC card company called us wanting to know if we made long distance phone calls with our CC. That's what sent the red flag for the CC company to call us. The calls were made to foreign countries. So, this time around, we're paying $1,000.00 cash towards our S&S, I no longer trust them with my CC.

We always use our CC and pay it off at the end of the cruise. However, we had our CC number stolen and it was used by someone from the ship. The ship was the only place on the entire trip that we used this particular CC. The day we got home from the ship, the CC card company called us wanting to know if we made long distance phone calls with our CC. That's what sent the red flag for the CC company to call us. The calls were made to foreign countries. So, this time around, we're paying $1,000.00 cash towards our S&S, I no longer trust them with my CC.

Thats a really serious issue. Either someone grabbed it as you checked in or someone looked up your info in the ships computer. I hope Carnival is looking into this as well as your cc company.

I ALWAYS use cash, it seems so much easier. Like the other poster said, it helps me to stay on track. I ususally start off with $500 and if I need to add more, then I do. I save up money on purpose for the trip and I don't think that I would like to have to pay a cc bill months after my vacation. I just take all the money and spend freely!

We but a CC down when we first got on. Then as we started using the S&S we put cash down (like when we booked an excursion). It helped us stay with in the budget but we didnt need to worry about not having cash for the ports (which I found easier to have then a CC). The last day we paid off the S&S with cash and the hold they had on the CC will be gone in 36 hours I believe.

Any tips on the best method? I'm leary about using my credit card and having a hold placed on it. Just how is this handled? I read that you can write CASH across Sail & Sign form. Does this mean that final bill payment can be made using cash instead of a credit card transaction?

When you get to the terminal in go to check in, they will ask you for your cc - just tell them that you are going to use cash. They will try to convince you to use your cc and expalin that there will only be a $60.00 hold. I stuck to my guns and said that i was going to do cash. When we got on board, we went to the pursers deck to set up the account. The computers were down and we were told to come back in an hour. So we headed up to the Liod deck for lunch. Can back after lunch and set up the account with no issues (we were on the Ecstasy). We set up $400.00 ( for a 5 day) and I had pre-paid my tips prior to the cruise. Needless to say we had a great time, purchased A LOT of drinks and pictures and still we received a check for the balance left on our account for $86.00 under our door the morning of debarkation.

They will try to convince you to use your cc and expalin that there will only be a $60.00 hold. I stuck to my guns and said that i was going to do cash.

We've always used cash and they've never said anything at all about it. They even made it easier on our last trip. When we told the guy checking us in that we would use cash, he told us that he wasn't sure where it would be, but they would have a table set up just for putting down cash deposits. No standing in that long purser's desk line! We asked someone when we boarded where the table would be and we were told in would be in the theater a bit later. Only one person in front of me when I went to deposit money. I hope they keep this up! :)

When you get to the terminal in go to check in, they will ask you for your cc - just tell them that you are going to use cash. They will try to convince you to use your cc and expalin that there will only be a $60.00 hold. I stuck to my guns and said that i was going to do cash. When we got on board, we went to the pursers deck to set up the account. The computers were down and we were told to come back in an hour. So we headed up to the Liod deck for lunch. Can back after lunch and set up the account with no issues (we were on the Ecstasy). We set up $400.00 ( for a 5 day) and I had pre-paid my tips prior to the cruise. Needless to say we had a great time, purchased A LOT of drinks and pictures and still we received a check for the balance left on our account for $86.00 under our door the morning of debarkation.

is the remaining balance always paid by check, dollar check ain't no good to me:mad: :D

i'd rather use cash as we have another 2 and a half weeks in the states after the cruise and the CC will get a bad bashing after the cruise never mind on it !!!!

is the remaining balance always paid by check, dollar check ain't no good to me:mad: :D

i'd rather use cash as we have another 2 and a half weeks in the states after the cruise and the CC will get a bad bashing after the cruise never mind on it !!!!

You can cash the check at the purser's desk prior to disembarkation.

I normally received my refund check the night before and would take down to the purser immediately. Someone is there 24hrs.

We didn't want a check either, so we simply went to the purser's office when we were done using our account and they paid us our balance in cash. :)

It is nice to just have them swipe a credit card at check in, and not have to do a single thing with your account until the end of the cruise (look at the account to make sure it is correct).

Let them steal my credit card number, I have zero fraud liability on all cards, I am not responsible for a penny that I didn't charge.

I can't imagine carrying around hundreds of dollars on vacation, I have had a wallet stolen, at home, and was very happy that I don't carry much cash, just a few calls to the credit card companys and all was good.

I do understand if people are worried about spending too much, that is why it is nice on the newer ships that you can keep track of your account on the TV.

If you have a card with rewards, and avoid carrying a balance, you can make money by spending money, I can't say that for cash!

MAC

MAC

I thought you had to put down $200 as a deposit to open a SS with cash?

You are correct. A $200 deposit is required for a 7 day cruise. I used cash on my first cruise and plan on using it again on my second. It is soooooo easy and if I need to check my balance I just use the room's television. And I agree about keeping to a budget, it helps.

You are correct. A $200 deposit is required for a 7 day cruise. I used cash on my first cruise and plan on using it again on my second. It is soooooo easy and if I need to check my balance I just use the room's television. And I agree about keeping to a budget, it helps.

You can actually put down any amount over the tip amount. My MIL puts 100 down for a seven day cruise.

Archived