Rome in April

How crowded will it be? Will the lines be long for St. Peter's. Only time I can fit that in would be in the afternoon. Want to climb to the top. Don't need a tour. Also, how will the weather be? I'm in Miami, so anything less than 60 feels COLD TO ME:eek: Just need to know what clothing I'll need.

How crowded will it be? Will the lines be long for St. Peter's. Only time I can fit that in would be in the afternoon. Want to climb to the top. Don't need a tour. Also, how will the weather be? I'm in Miami, so anything less than 60 feels COLD TO ME:eek: Just need to know what clothing I'll need.

You should be just fine...nice time to go and no,it will not be crowded ..here is a link re temps..

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Rome, Italy

Some years back, I spent the entire month of April in Rome. Since Easter was pretty early that year, I had been hoping that the throngs would clear out after that. No such luck! There were tons of tourists around, at least part of the time because the European schools have their mid-term break in April. All the professors and their families were on tour, not to mention the college students themselves.

That being said, it's certainly a much nicer time to visit than the height of the summer! I climbed to the top of St. Peter's and don't remember any excessively long lines, and the view at the top is spectacular! And St. Peter's early in the morning is deserted and wonderful.

As for weather, keep in mind that although it might not be freezing cold, in Rome in April IT RAINS. And rains. I remember grumbling about this to several natives who all said in surprise, "well, of course, it's April, this is our rainy season." It doesn't pour all day long and the skies aren't always black and gloomy; but bring your umbrella along every day, because at some point during the day you'll there's a good chance you'll need it!

Archived