Agincourt Reef or Lizard Island?

farm girl

We are going to Cairns post cruise with a large group. We arrive on April 15th 2008 and are staying at the Sebel Reef House for 4 nights. On the 16th we go to the Agincourt reef on Quicksilver. On April 17th we to to the Daintree Rainforest and a bunch of other places up there. On the 18th we go to Kuranda. (Our leaders have done a great job in organizing great tours:D ). On Saturday we return to Sydney.

My husband and I love to snorkel. Should we do the Quicksilver trip out to the Agincourt Reef or should we spend the money and fly out to Lizard Island for the day? Or should we do both the Quicksilver and the Lizard Island trip and skip Kuranda? Everything sounds wonderful so it is very hard to make a decision.

We had a meeting today and we were told to decide by Dec 1 2007. Thank you so much for any help.

I have been both to Agincourt Reef with Quicksilver and have also visited Lizard Island for lunch. Both of these trips were many years ago when it wasn't so developed up north.

When we were at Lizard Island we were restricted to a certain area as it is the most exclusive island in Australia and we weren't allowed to mix with or near the guests. I presume it would be different if you were going to snorkel there.

If you love to snorkel then do the Quicksilver trip and have a day at Lizard Island. Kuranda is really a "hippie town" and has a market plus all the shops that go with an alternative life style. It is interesting but I wouldn't put it on my list as a must see especially if you are visiting the Daintree. That is the pick of the rain forest up north.

That would be my choice if I had to decide.

Jennie

My husband and I did the flight to Lizard Island last January. We also only had a few days in the Cairns area pre-cruise, so I really debated whether or not to spend the money on the Lizard Island trip. I'm pretty sure I posted a short summary on these boards if you do a search. It was about $900 USD for the 2 of us, so very expensive. Since we did not take a boat snorkel trip, I can't compare to say if it was worth the extra dollars. The plane ride & visit was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us.

Be aware you're at the mercy of the weather--if a storm is approaching, you won't be able to fly. They also need a minimum of 4 passengers to make the trip. The flight to/from along the coast and over the Great Barrier Reef is awesome. On Lizard Island you trek from where the plane lands for about 15 minutes to a beautiful beach/cove. No signs of anyone else around except a cruise ship or two anchored out a ways. The snorkeling was beautiful. No restrooms, so everything is wilderness style.

For us it was a big splurge. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I would spend that much money for it again.

Thanks to all of you:D . My husband and I will do the Quicksilver trip as planned by our travel guide. There is also a scenic flight you can take after you arrive at the reef, so we might do that also.

When we arrive in Cairns on Tuesday, if the weather is good, then I will plan an additional reef trip for Friday, maybe Lizard, maybe another island. I will check around. Thanks for the information on Kuranda. It sounds like a great trip but I had rather snorkel if the weather is good.

Thanks again,

Sharon

Archived