NCL Crown vs. Majesty to Bermuda comparison??

Tomct

We are planning a June/05 cruise on the Crown, from NYC, but would like input on the differences between the two ships. We'd especially like to hear from those who have experienced both ships. I heard the Majesty will be going in for a refurbish, so that could have an impact as well.

Our reasoning for the Crown is based on positive feedback we have read, and the intinerary that makes three stops. We know you can get to anywhere on the island from any port, but like the idea of the three stops, and the short cruises.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

By the way, by the time we make that journey, we will have had one cruise on the Star, and three on the Dawn, so we will have an adjustment to make as far as size of ship is concerned. Any comments in that direction are also welcome.

Good morning Tom I posted a review of the Crown and I have spoken with the people who were on the Majesty. I like St George but the Ferry service from there is limited and the buses slow and sometimes very crowded. If you like the bigger ships you may want to consider(blasphemy here) RCI. They will be using a voyager class ship next year.. I know you love Freestyle me too but you may want to consider this other alternative. I know this sort of violates answering the question you asked and I apologize if you don't want to consider the alternative...

Sid

Sid: As much as we've enjoyed the larger ships, we are looking forward to experienceing the Crown. We've just had such great service from NCL staff, and have a great contact there that has helped make our cruises special. I hesitate to contact him until I've got specific (tough) questions, because he is ranked, and I don't want to bother him too often. After doing my homework, and just prior to booking, I will probably contact him to confirm our final decision. We are also talking about 20 others going with us, so I feel obligated to perform diligent research.

Thanks for your advice; I've probably already looked at your review, and you may have also responded to one of my prior posts on this subject.

We are currently leaning toward the Crown, and will likely book soon, since it is a group, but will look for your review upon your return. We will be on the Dawn 10 day to S. Caribbean on 12/9/04, so will be active on the board upon our return. I hope all the islands fare well during all these storms.

Hi Tom-

I've been on the Dawn and I just returned from the Crown. The Crown is not in top-notch physical shape but it hardly is the rambling wreck others here have opined. I enjoyed the Crown- It has limitations- The pool and deck area are tiny. Food was better than the Dawn- I think we had the same menu, albeit in a different order than the Dawn- I found the food quality, especially the baked goods, to be better. They had daily tea- which was nice- I'm missing my cookies and ice cream cone mid-afternoon snack today.. Service was good, but spotty-- I'll leave the "service" disagreement to those who prefer the "old style" cruising. Entertainment was good- Comedian was very good ( Steve Van Zandt)- Production shows were not like the Dawn's - there eight people total in the Jean Ryan troupe- they tried.. Elvie Rose was the singer ( she has been kicking around NCL for years, but is very entertaining)- Bermuda was WONDERFUL- I agree with your liking the idea of being in the three different stops, made things a lot easier. I mastered the bus schedule ( found it online) and we traveled around mostly by bus or ferry- Very easy- I found it very enjoyable. In fact, I was almost eager to leave the Dawn on the last day- Yesterday I would have been glad to stay.. Also got on and off the ship with no problem-- It was money well spent.

Hi TomCT:

We just completed our second cruise aboard the Majesty. I have two reviews in the member review section from both trips if you are interested in researching the Majesty a little more. One consideration for you might be the ease of the Black Falcon Pier Cruise Terminal in Boston. Em- and Debarkation are so easy. No traffic and very easy to get to on a Sunday morning.

We have found the buses and taxis to be adequet forms of transportation. Given the number of people in your group, if you are all traveling to the same destination, the minivan size taxi's would be affordable as you can fit up to 8 in each. We like staying in one spot during our stays in Bermuda. St. George's is a wonderful town with plenty to see and do. It is quiet at night as you are not on the main "drag".

Feel free to email me with any questions you may have regarding the Majesty. Which ever ship you choose, have a great time as Bermuda is such a great place to visit.

I appreciate the comments that are coming in, though all the positive ones keep me confused. The comforting thing is it does not appear that we will go wrong, no matter what we choose. With the Majesty scheduled for a refit, the choice becomes even more difficult.

I still welcome more info, in hopes of helping with the decision, or making the choice more difficult.

thanks, again

Tom-

Haven't been on teh Majesty,but we thoroughly enjoyed the Crown. Will try to write a review tomorrow if time allows. In the meantime,I just made some comments on the Crown on a Bermuda thread on this board,probably a few threads down,if that helps.

Archived