Stateroom Comforts

TonyJ

Hello all,

DW and I will be going on our first cruise in October and are wondering what kind of amenities to expect in our stateroom.

It's on Caribbean Princess JJ catagory (inside stateroom).

In particular can we expect a blow dryer in the bathroom? I'm thinking not but dw is hoping for 1 less item to buy/pack.

BTW, this site is great, I'm on it every day getting tips and also, getting myself more and more psyched up !!

:) I can't wait until October !! :)

Hair Dryer is supplied, but not in the bath area, it will be on the wall next to the vanity table.

As for other items, there will also be shampoo, conditioner, hand and body soap and most times lotion for your use.

Other than that, bring everything else with you in reguards to personal items.

And enjoy your first cruise.

We were on the CP last summer... Your stateroom does have a hair dryer, but it leaves a lot to be desired.. I'd bring my own, if I were you.. It also has a fridge. The fridge has no compressor, and relies on continuous air circulation to cool. If you want to keep your things cold, lift the outside cabinet door about 3/16th on an inch to dislodge it from the fridge door and prop it open 6-8" with a shoe, etc. This will allow enough air circulation to keep you things good and cold.. You also get shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap in the bathroom. If you need more your steward will get it for you.. There's an extra blanket provided, and you can get extra towels if you need them. Bring a power strip, or a 3-way gang plug, as outlets are very limited.. Bombero.

You always have access to a beath towel. There are always two in the room and if you need more just ask the Steward. Enjoy your first cruise. You will love it. There is also a safe in each room. It is very small but is big enough for you to put your passports, birth certificates, extra money. etc.

Marilyn

Also, you will receive a card each day asking if you would like fruit and which kind to be placed in your room. There is also a room service card each evening asking if you would like a light breakfast in your room. It has a list of choices. If you do order room service, be very specific, though, as to how many cream, sugar, jams, etc. that you want. We usually tip the person who brings it. (Room service is also available for lunch in your room or at anytime really.)

If you prefer, your bed in a queen configuration; or feather pillows, or a bedboard or softener, Princess always tries to accomodate you. Feel free to ask if you need something. Hope this helps.

There is a hairdryer in the room but it didn't have the power needed for thick or long hair so I bring my own. Even tho there are shampoos, conditioners, lotions and gels provided, I bring those too as I prefer my own brands and scents. Bathrobes may already be in the room or you can request them from your room steward and they will be provided. You can also request that a small selection of fruit be kept in your room and replenished dialy. The refrigerator was great for me as I keep canned drinks in my cabin so as not to have to make a midnight run to the bar to use my soda sticker. I always take a battery operated travel alarm clock with me that lights up so I can tell the time day or night.

In ref to the hair dryers - I have long and thick hair. I have found that there are only two settings on these; high and low. For my hair, the high setting is too powerful and tends to burn and frizz my hair. The low setting simply takes too long to dry, so I bring my own. :cool:

We were on the CP last summer... Your stateroom does have a hair dryer, but it leaves a lot to be desired.. I'd bring my own, if I were you.. It also has a fridge. The fridge has no compressor, and relies on continuous air circulation to cool. If you want to keep your things cold, lift the outside cabinet door about 3/16th on an inch to dislodge it from the fridge door and prop it open 6-8" with a shoe, etc. This will allow enough air circulation to keep you things good and cold.. You also get shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap in the bathroom. If you need more your steward will get it for you.. There's an extra blanket provided, and you can get extra towels if you need them. Bring a power strip, or a 3-way gang plug, as outlets are very limited.. Bombero.

Okay, we have been on many Princess cruises and totally don't get your fridge comments??????? What don't we get?? They have always worked like normal mini fridges for us?????

Hello Murphy.. A big complaint on most ships that provide refrigerators is that they don't cool good enough.. Since they are unlike most mini fridge's in that they have no compressor, they rely on air circulation.. On some ships they are recessed in a cabinet, which is fine. But, on some of the newer ships they are hidden, or enclosed in a cabinet behind a door.. This cabinet door cuts down on the air circulation and thus the cooling efficiency.. Leaving the cabinet door propped open will eliminate this problem, should it occur in your cabin. On the CP the cabinet door is attached to the fridge door, but can be disconnected and reconnected very easily by following my original post.. I hope this clears up you question.. Bombero :) :)

Your cabin steward will also bring extra towels and bathroom necessities.

Also, if you are bringing on wine for your room, he/she will give you wine glasses. Exta hangers are usually a must too. You will have a wonderful time.

Bombero, glad to see your smiley faces :) :)

Thanks Bombero!! Guess we never left anything in the fridge long enough to it to matter......our red wine doesn't need much cooling (hehehehe).

Jemingway: Our cabin stewards have never refused us ever to keep our wine glasses stocked, my guess is perhaps you had a new one. We have also requested "happy hour" snacks at 4:00 every day, and sure enough when return for our day wherever, there was a little bowl of chip and nuts waiting for us!!!

Our cabin steward refused to bring wine glasses. He said we had to call room service, which was not easy. Finally, I worked out a deal where he called room service and we got wine glasses right away.

Hmmm, our guy got them for us and gave us clean ones everyday. :)

The one thing we did miss out on was the room service. We believed that you could only get what was on the menu, including the breakfast one. That is what they told us when we called. Will test ride that next cruise. :) :)

Do you have to insist that you want off menu items, how is this handled?

Our cabin steward was very nice and did a great job. He bristled, however, at getting us wine glasses. He would call room service for us from our phone and then we had incredible service. He would tell them to bring us snacks, cheese plates, etc. and they would bring it almost immediately. We never even looked at the menu.

Thanks guys, all the info really does help.

I'll keep in mind the door trick too, just in case.

Wow, big breakfast.....I've peeked at the dinner menus and I think whatever they have in mind by 'light' is gonna be plenty.

I'll probably wake up stuffed. ;)

Another thing is if you want an egg crate for your bed call your TA and have them fax a request to Princess and it will be available. I've also ordered breakfast and requested items that weren't on the original slip. I just turn it over and write out my request and never have had a problem.:D

Debbie

Archived