Vietnam overnight or Cambodia overnight

CruiserMom

We're booked on a cruise with 2 overnight options in Vietnam. Both are 3 days, 2 nights away from the ship.

Option #1 is a tour of Vietnam to include: day 1 - travel from Chan May (De Nang) to Hue, full day tour Hue, fly to Hanoi, overnight Hanoi; day 2 - full day tour Hanoi, fly to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), overnight Saigon; day 3 - full day tour Saigon, before travelling to Phu My to rejoin ship.

Option #2 is a tour of Cambodia & Vietnam to include: day 1 - travel from Chan May to to Da Nang, fly to Saigon, have lunch at a hotel before returning to airport for a late afternoon flight to Siemreap in Cambodia, overnight in Siemreap; day 2 - full day tour Siemreap (Angkor Wat included), fly to Saigon, overnight Saigon; day 3 -full day tour Saigon, before travelling to Phu My to rejoin ship.

Cambodia is somewhat more expensive, but cost will not determine choice.

Some say Cambodia is not to be missed. Need help to decide, please.

We're booked on a cruise with 2 overnight options in Vietnam. Both are 3 days, 2 nights away from the ship.

Option #1 is a tour of Vietnam to include: day 1 - travel from Chan May (De Nang) to Hue, full day tour Hue, fly to Hanoi, overnight Hanoi; day 2 - full day tour Hanoi, fly to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), overnight Saigon; day 3 - full day tour Saigon, before travelling to Phu My to rejoin ship.

Option #2 is a tour of Cambodia & Vietnam to include: day 1 - travel from Chan May to to Da Nang, fly to Saigon, have lunch at a hotel before returning to airport for a late afternoon flight to Siemreap in Cambodia, overnight in Siemreap; day 2 - full day tour Siemreap (Angkor Wat included), fly to Saigon, overnight Saigon; day 3 -full day tour Saigon, before travelling to Phu My to rejoin ship.

Cambodia is somewhat more expensive, but cost will not determine choice.

Some say Cambodia is not to be missed. Need help to decide, please.

An awful lot of flying around on tour 1. Not much time for sightseeing. You won't see much in one day in Hanoi-Uncle Ho's tomb, Uncle Ho's house, a couple of government building, maybe the water puppet show (there are three in Saigon). And you will probably be subjected to "shopping", which will be in hand picked vendors, where the tour guides get tips/commission. You will miss the REAL shopping, which means just get into the market and start walking. And you miss Halong Bay, which is absolutely SPECTACULAR!!!!

If you want to see Angkor Wat, the choice is easy.

Thanks Greatam. After looking at it again, I realized the same thing ... there is too much time spent traveling & less time touring.

I noticed your other posting on the Ports of Call Asia board & I wanted to ask you about your comments on Angkok Wat, but not necessary now. I'm afraid to go out on our own in Vietnam. We did do an overnight on our own in Beijing last year with a private guide & driver, but we were with another couple & it worked out great. I have a feeling that the shopping will be just like we experienced in Beijing & again is Shanghai. I didn't realize they got a commission, but I figured they were told where they must take us to shop & eat. I do like to do some shopping, so that doesn't bother me, although my DH doesn't like it as much.

Thanks for your imput.

If your ship dock at Da-Nang, my suggestion is visit Hoi An as soon as you arrive in Da-Nang. then spend two nights in Hue that will give yiou a full day to see hue. The 3rd morning back to Da Nang. The ride from Hue to Dang is up to 4 hours. Depend on what time your ship leave the port, if you have extra time, spend an afternoon on the beach in south China sea or visit Hoi An again. Da Nang to Noi An is only 45 minutes by car.

Archived