Pearl review Nov 2-11 Southern Carribean

jimc_usa

Embarkation

We stayed at a Holiday Inn on Miami beach - we planned on getting an early tan but it rained.

We arrived at the Port of Miami at 10-30 am and were on board by 11-15 am.

Cabins were not available until 1:00 pm, so we toured the ship, and then had lunch. We had a CC get together with all the major "biggies" in attendance, including the Captain and the cruise director. Later in the week our group was treated to free bowling and free drinks. All our luggage arrived safely. We had one bootle of rum, well wrapped in a suitcase, and when we received it there was a sticker on it that said LIQUOR. However the bottle was still in the suitcase! (maybe a warning, or lazy stewards - who knows?)

The cabin was small, but the beds were quite hard, which I thought was great, not the DW though. Outside the cabin door is a revolving sign for Do Not disturb, make up room, etc. We didn't see it for 2 days and our bed was never turned down (no big deal) until we discovered the secret.

We never saw our cabin steward until the last couple of nights, but he kept the ice bucket filled and cleaned the room, what else can you ask for?

The weather was fabulous for 10 days - one afternoon it rained quite hard for an hour, so we stayed in the water . I stay out of the sun (red hair) but the DW got a super tan. We watched all of the sunsets, either from the deck or a restaurant. I saw some sunrises (early riser).

The food.

We never ate in a restaurant that was an extra charge, my DW wanted to eat lobster in Cagney's but it was another $10.00 on top of the $20.00 charge and we heard that the lobster wasn't that great, but apparently the steaks were.

We had every breakfast in the Garden restaurant (buffet). What can I say? There was everything I wanted to eat. There was a group of 150 Germans and they even catered to their taste with German sausage for breakfast. We ate at 7.30 am on sea days and 7-00 on excursion days. It was only crowed on the last morning before leaving the ship.

We ate at the Summer Palace 2 nights and had a fabulous 5 course dinner.

1 night at Mambo's the TexMex restauraunt- the food was good, but strange enough I had better fajitas in the Garden Buffet.

We also ate at the Indigo and it was great.

And one night at the Italian - La Cucina. I ordered the Italian sausage and peppers and guess what? It didn't come with Pasta! None of the entree's came with pasta, I blame our waitress for not explaining the menu properly.

On the Sunday we watched the football game in the atrium and looked down on the huge screen from the Blue Lagoon eating our wonderful Fish and Chips.

The rest of the time we ate in the buffet - we thought the food in the buffet was marvelous. All the fresh fruit you could eat, wonderful bread of all types and a salad bar for even the most finnicky of people.

The Ports

We were impressed by all the ports. In Samana we did the Island beach escape so we didn't actually see Samana. We were tendered to the wonderful beach escape on Cayo Levantado.

Tortola, Antigua, Barbados, and St. Lucia were all great but St. Lucia was the best. Although be warned the prices on booze and tobacco etc may be cheaper on the ships. In St. Lucia the beach wanted $20.00 per beach chair, so none of the crowd bought them. We were only there for 1-1/2 hours. You'd have thought they would have preferred 50 people X $5.00, rather than nothing - Oh well. It seems that these (fairly new?) ports have already learned how to fleece the tourist.

The Entertainment

The shows were professional (maybe we don't get around much anymore), the ventriloquist was one of the best I have ever seen.

The singing and dancing was super, and Second city, were, well, Second City. Jeff Tracta (Bold and the Beautiful (who I had never heard of) was exceptional, he could sing, he had great impressions and a very proud American finish. The last night was a passenger talent competition and there was some great talent. (A member of cruise critic sang)

Off the ship

We were almost last off the ship because we stayed in Miami and did not want to get to the hotel to early. The one thing I did not understand was: We went through customs and immigration before we got our suitcases. I always thought it should be the other way round, but absolutely no hassles, very quick.

All the staff were polite, in fact so polite it almost got irritating saying Good Morning to 20 wait staff (just kidding), there was a standing joke in the buffet restaurant, when at the table, if you bent down to pick something up, they cleared away you plate. :D

The cruise critic people we met up with were terrific, I am sure you will get their reviews later, as some of them stayed on the ship to do the 5 day cruise following.

The Pearl is a big ship, but once you got to know your way around - no problem. We loved every minute and we would do it again in a heart beat.

Wonderful, thank you and welcome back! :)

We are in the excited stages of preparing to embark.

Is it the Summer Palace where there is a more restricted dress code than the Indigo?

Yes - you cannot wear jeans in the Summer Palace, you can in the Indigo.

The first night formal photographs werte taken, there was a long line waiting to get in the Summer Palace, the irony was, they had several more formal photo nights :)

Hi Jim

So happy to hear you had a great cruise. We were on the Pearl last January (just the two of us) We are going again this Friday:D , but are taking our five kids with us (15,20, 25, 25, 27). Just a few questions if you don't mind. We also will not pay extra for restaurants so these questions are for the regular restaurants.

1) Was there lobster on any night?

2) Was there escargot?

3) Did the sign say "no jeans" in the Summer Palace? We definitely liked the intimacy of the Summer Palace over the Indigo (which seemed loud and more like a cafeteria atmosphere) and will make sure the kids bring extra non-jeans for dining.

4) Did you have to make reservations for La Cucina or Mambo's?

5) Tell me they still have all of the wonderful fruit soups especially in the garden cafe.

Did they still have the Tubz and Geisha show? In January, they had those plus Jeff Trachia (sp), Second City, and a magician and illusionist? Would you say it is the same shows?

Thank you for your time. I greatly appreciate it.

Hi Jim

So happy to hear you had a great cruise. We were on the Pearl last January (just the two of us) We are going again this Friday:D , but are taking our five kids with us (15,20, 25, 25, 27). Just a few questions if you don't mind. We also will not pay extra for restaurants so these questions are for the regular restaurants.

1) Was there lobster on any night?

Never saw it anywhere but Cagney's (but we were not looking).

2) Was there escargot?

Only in La Bistro I believe

3) Did the sign say "no jeans" in the Summer Palace? We definitely liked the intimacy of the Summer Palace over the Indigo (which seemed loud and more like a cafeteria atmosphere) and will make sure the kids bring extra non-jeans for dining.

The only restaurant where you cannot wear jeans is the Summer Palace

there is a sign and also in the daily paper.

4) Did you have to make reservations for La Cucina or Mambo's?

Yes - we tried one night at La Cucina when it was empty but they still said they was no tables available - go figure. If you book for the day after you can get almost any time you want.

5) Tell me they still have all of the wonderful fruit soups especially in the garden cafe.

Yes - but we are hot soup people

Did they still have the Tubz and Geisha show? In January, they had those plus Jeff Trachia (sp), Second City, and a magician and illusionist? Would you say it is the same shows?

Different dance shows still Jeff Tracia, Second City and a wonderful ventriloquist, well worth seeing, very funny

Thank you for your time. I greatly appreciate it.

Really good ship

In Samana we did the Island beach escape so we didn't actually see Samana. We were tendered to the wonderful beach escape on Cayo Levantado.

We are going on the same itinerary on the Jewel in February. We have been debating about doing the Cayo beach trip. Just wondering how you found it - you referred to it as wonderful so it sounds like you enjoyed it!

Did you buy anything to eat or drink there? How often did the tenders run to take you back to the ship?

Thanks!!

We are going on the same itinerary on the Jewel in February. We have been debating about doing the Cayo beach trip. Just wondering how you found it - you referred to it as wonderful so it sounds like you enjoyed it!

Did you buy anything to eat or drink there? How often did the tenders run to take you back to the ship?

Thanks!!

We did the Cayo beach with a large group frm CC and had a great time. Lots of loungers, good security, nice beach, good snorkeling at eithe end od the beach. There is a bar on the beach, a massage place, a guy with a seal, parrots, stalls selling crafts, etc and a food place with burgers or a buffet or lobster. We had a better time than those who went into town or other excursions. The boat for the beach picks you up at the ship and return trips seemed to start about 2pm.

Thanks for the review. We can't wait to go!

Can you tell us more about Cayo Levantado Beach?

Are there trays in the buffet?

I did not know you could board that early. Is that because of Latitudes or can everyone board that early? Finally, were you allowed to drop off your carryons in your cabin prior to lunch?

Thanks!

Thanks!!

The tenders started back officially at 3 pm, but there was a crowd waiting at 2:00 ish so they went back early.

As already stated there were lots of beach chairs and lots of security. I believe there was hair braiding opportunity. We didn't have the lunch, but if I remember correctly the drinks were almost the same price as on the ship.

I am a latitude - but I don't think we told anyone that. You are not allowed to go to the cabins until after 1:00 pm.

Thanks for the review we were on the Pearl last year and loved it!

We are going on the 14 day B2B Pearl in March 08. We are also staying at the Holiday Inn on Miami Beach...Just wonerding what you thought of the hotel? did you take a taxi to the port? I don't think it is very far from the hotel?

Thanks for the review we were on the Pearl last year and loved it!

We are going on the 14 day B2B Pearl in March 08. We are also staying at the Holiday Inn on Miami Beach...Just wonerding what you thought of the hotel? did you take a taxi to the port? I don't think it is very far from the hotel?

I stay at Holiday Inns because I am a Priority Club member and the hotel was free. However everything else cost money. I did not take my laptop and to use the hotel computer was 20 cents/min. The breakfast buffet was okay and was $12.95, otherwise the hotel was very nice.

We took a taxi to the port and it cost me $25 with tip.

I stay at Holiday Inns because I am a Priority Club member and the hotel was free. However everything else cost money. I did not take my laptop and to use the hotel computer was 20 cents/min. The breakfast buffet was okay and was $12.95, otherwise the hotel was very nice.

We took a taxi to the port and it cost me $25 with tip.

Good to know. Thanks. My husband is prority club as well and we are getting the two nights free...I'm not sure I would have paid the price that they are asking.

Thanks Again!

Archived