Cruising out of NYC?

smw0621

A group of us are looking into cruising on the Norweigan Gem in Feb '09 out of NYC. The ports of call are Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Bay, Nassau and Grand Bahama Island.

Has anyone done this or gone to these ports? I've never heard of Great Stirrup Bay at all.

Thanks in advance...

It's the standard NYC itinerary...not too exciting...but we enjoy the ship more than the ports so we don't really mind.

It's nice they are doing Grand Bahama Island instead of Miami or Key West.

Actually the two times we sailed from NYC (on the Dawn and the Spirit) the stop at Great Stirrup Cay was canceled...so I have never been there!

A group of us are looking into cruising on the Norweigan Gem in Feb '09 out of NYC. The ports of call are Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Bay, Nassau and Grand Bahama Island.

Has anyone done this or gone to these ports? I've never heard of Great Stirrup Bay at all.

Thanks in advance...

Just a tip, it's preety cool down there in Feb. You need to get much farther south to get really warm air & water.

Happy Cruising

As mentioned GSC is NCL's private Island. It's a small island and the only people you will se on it are the passengers and crew from the ship and a few people that work and stay on the island. There is swimming, snorkeling, parasailing, floats, bars, buffet lunch, hammocks, volleyball and little souvenir shops. Nice little island that you take tenders to from the ship. ALways recommended to get to the island early so you get a good lounge chair, hopefully in the shade if you want that. Even in Feb, you'll like sailing out of NY Harbor. very Impressive. I see you're from upstate NY. I'm from Albany and I really like taking the train to NY. Beautiful trip.

As mentioned GSC is NCL's private Island. It's a small island and the only people you will se on it are the passengers and crew from the ship and a few people that work and stay on the island. There is swimming, snorkeling, parasailing, floats, bars, buffet lunch, hammocks, volleyball and little souvenir shops. Nice little island that you take tenders to from the ship. ALways recommended to get to the island early so you get a good lounge chair, hopefully in the shade if you want that. Even in Feb, you'll like sailing out of NY Harbor. very Impressive. I see you're from upstate NY. I'm from Albany and I really like taking the train to NY. Beautiful trip.

great info...I will also be going in February... I am assuming that some activities (ie snorkling, parasailing,etc) and the food are extra cost??? :confused:

great info...I will also be going in February... I am assuming that some activities (ie snorkling, parasailing,etc) and the food are extra cost??? :confused:

Food is included in your cruise fare -- hamburgers, hot dogs, general picnic fare. Snorkeling is free if you bring your own gear ;) -- check out an inflatable life vest (required by NCL for all snorkelers) for free on the island.

Food is included in your cruise fare -- hamburgers, hot dogs, general picnic fare. Snorkeling is free if you bring your own gear ;) -- check out an inflatable life vest (required by NCL for all snorkelers) for free on the island.

thanks!

I see they offer a snorkle trip for that day...but not sure it is worth it --we have our own masks and if they loan you vest--all I would be missing is fins (probably not work $29!)..:rolleyes:

thanks!

I see they offer a snorkle trip for that day...but not sure it is worth it --we have our own masks and if they loan you vest--all I would be missing is fins (probably not work $29!)..:rolleyes:

That is precisely the conclusion we came to. We spent ~$30 apiece for snorkeling gear a couple of years ago -- it has already more than paid for itself! ;)

If you want to see other people on GSC, from the beach facing the ocean walk left as far as you can go; you will come to Coco Cay just a few hundred yards away. It's Royal Carribbean's private island. :eek:

Bring your own snorkleing stuff. You can get away with not renting the fins; the reef isn't that far. The required life vest is free. Snorkle to your heart's content.

Drinks are extra on GSC just like on the ship. You sign for them the same way. I would also recommend bringing a camera with you. There is a great spot to take a picture of the ship from the beach. ALso, bring a good pair of walking shoes and do not walk on the stone walls the outline the beach without them. Very sharp rock.

If you have no children going with you, you should be aware that the 7 day President's Week cruise (usually the 3rd week in February) is a school holiday in the Northeast. Thus there will be hundreds of school age children on board.

We have sailed out of nyc 3 times on ncl going south and once going north. It's great, takes us about an hour to get to the city. I've been on Port Canaveral itinerary and it was my least favorite so far. Port canaveral is the disney world stop and we stayed on the ship. This itinerary was also loaded with family with a lot of kids, and that's fine if you want that kind of less peaceful cruise. Miami was flat out boring since I had been there and it's a little city with a beach. Great Stirrup cay was the nicest spot I thought. Beautiful white beach. no one there except the little huts that sell souvenirs and a little food. But beware of one thing, my adventurous 70 year old Mom went out on some slimy rocks (i was worried she'd slip). Instead she sat on some red algae that she had a terrible allergic reaction to and actually had to see the onboard medical facility. she blew up like a balloon.

Other than that it was great. All cruises are great as a general proposition. A lot of times we stay on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

The vests sound lame, would get in the way of diving to the bottom while snorkeling. If you do go way left or right, away from the main beach, can you snorkel there with your own gear and not get "busted" without a vest?

The vests sound lame, would get in the way of diving to the bottom while snorkeling. If you do go way left or right, away from the main beach, can you snorkel there with your own gear and not get "busted" without a vest?

No b/c if you venture into those areas, a lifeguard on a jet ski will pull you out of the water.

The currents & rip tides are fairly strong. Wear the vest, It could save your life.

Archived