Timeshare trade for cruise

wilson9112

Wilson: You should look into extending the expiration date of your weeks with those timeshares. You will be charged a fee but it's worth it so you don't lose the time...then work on using the one with the least amount of time left. We have successfully rented our week also....we put out the word to friends who glady pay the amount we ask for.

If you haven't already noticed, you are charged fees for every move you make; however there are a lot of perks that get thrown in the mix that you can take advantage of as another poster stated. We recently spent a week in Mexico for $299 total at a high end resort. Of course, they're hoping you attend the timeshare presentation when you arrive....it's called a "hook."

I didnt know you can extend the week! thanks. Yes, I know the hook. They got me to upgrade from a 2 bedroom to a 4 bedroom. I will never attend another presentation again!

I'm really enjoying reading this thread. DH and I just bought a timeshare in Ormond Beach. It's not on the point system, though. We haven't quite digested all the information on what we can do with it, but I've learned a lot from reading all the posts here. Thank you all.

I belong to a vacation club that issues points. To get a cruise I have to exchange 3000 points plus pay. For 3000 points I get a studio for a week at a 4-5 star resort in peak season. I am currently booked on the Carnival Miracle for 8 nights out of NYC in May. To book that cruise through my vacation club, I would surrender 3000 points, plus pay $900 each for two people. We are currently paying $1200 per person. I don't think this represents good value for money.

My feeling is that when you swap your week at the timeshare, you end up paying the full brochure price for the cruise, plus you have to pay straight away. My recommendation is take your vacation club/timeshare vacations on land and buy your cruises at the best discount you can. You can always rent out your timeshare weeks or give them to family.

Hello,

Thank you for responding. I agree that a timeshare swap for a cruise is not the best use of resources.

Fred

My feeling is that when you swap your week at the timeshare, you end up paying the full brochure price for the cruise, plus you have to pay straight away. My recommendation is take your vacation club/timeshare vacations on land and buy your cruises at the best discount you can. You can always rent out your timeshare weeks or give them to family.

I agree. When using my weeks I look at what it will cost me if I don't use the week. My maintenance fees are only $210 a year but I want to save at least $600 to make it good value. I try to use the week at places where the accom is more expensive and pay for it where it is cheaper.

I own in Bali but never use it there as accom is so cheap. It has wonderful trading power.

Yes, I was thinking about booking it like Hawaii or Vegas and then renting the week out after I get a week booked. I don't know yet, just fishing around. I have 3 weeks LOL (but expiring, I keep cruising instead)! Any suggestions?:D

Renting out an exchanged week is against the rules of both II and RCI. You could lose your membership, your week and the goodwill of the renter who shows up and is not allowed to check in.

Your options are to use the week(s) yourselves or to gift it to friends or family.

Archived