Roll Call: Pride, Baltic 5/26/08

JaneBP

OK, thought I would start this thread with some questions. I did a search and found that many of you have done this itinerary already.

I want to ask about using a private tour company for two of the three days in St Petersburg. I want to give this as a Christmas present to my brother and sil, who are on this cruise. I thought this might be more fun than an onboard credit. (Shhh, don't tell them, I am trying to keep it a secret...)

I do not see the option to visit Moscow for the day, and wonder if it has been dropped from the schedule? To give them flexibility, the tour could be done on the first and third days and leave the second for whatever they want to do. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks, Martita,

I have read several of those forums, but most cruisers are from larger ships and I now need information from Seabourn cruisers. I have already contacted some of the tour operators as well. So many of the Seabourn tours are like private ones. But I like the idea of planning a personal itinerary.

Thanks, Martita,

I have read several of those forums, but most cruisers are from larger ships and I now need information from Seabourn cruisers. I have already contacted some of the tour operators as well. So many of the Seabourn tours are like private ones. But I like the idea of planning a personal itinerary.

They will of course need personal visas to tour on their own. The ships group visa will not cover them.

They will of course need personal visas to tour on their own. The ships group visa will not cover them.

Thanks. I found out that the St Petersburg tour companies can issue a 72 hour visa for those cruisers who book with them. It's like what the cruise line tours use.

I did this trip on Regent three summers ago and used Red October for our private tour guide. We were two couples and a driver and guide met us every day right where we got off the ship in a small Mercedes van and we thought they were excellent. They have a website. They will suggest itineraries for you, but you can do your own research and they will accomodate any request and send you a detailed itinerary in advance which you can always change when under way. If you use an authorized tour guide like Red Ocotber they will take care of the visas for you. The onkly drawback is that you will not be able to get off the boat and tour on you own. This did not bother us at all since the all day touring with them was so jam-packed that we were exhausted in the evenings and had no desire to go back out again. (They will also take you out again in the evening if you so desire) Getting your own visa is a big hassle.

We recommended Red October to friends last summer and they were equally pleased. We used them for two days and took the ship's excursion to Moscow the third day.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like additional information.

Thanks, MarciAnn. Red October is one of the firms I contacted. I also contacted Alla, and preferred her responses and itineraries. Now, have to figure out some logistics.

I wonder if Seabourn has an evening event while in port? Sometimes, they have local dance/music troupes.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would bump up this Roll Call now that the final payments have been made. I will be sailing with my brother and sil, but it's no longer a secret.

Any others joining us or will we have all the caviar to ourselves?

Jane..we will sail vicariously with you. This is a trip that has always appealed. I just cannot imagine being "there" and not going to Moscow..I have dreamed of seeing the Kremlin. To me..the most facinating structure in the world. Lola

• 1 month later...

I am really looking forward to hearing all about this cruise as we are doing it next year. Have already been to Russia so wont be too hard for us to make choices in tours and like Lola said, Moscow is facinating......we actually enjoyed Moscow more than St Petersburg.:)

I would recommend Exeter, the travel company. They have put together a terrific trip for us this summer and they come highly recommended by other cruisers. Enjoy!!

Thanks, that's not a company with which I am familiar. However, after planning with Alla, I have decided to use the Seabourn Concierge travel advice from Carol Frey and she will arrange things for me in St Petersburg and Moscow.

I am now also planning to do the Berlin tour (last there in '67) because after the cruise, I am spending time in Germany visiting old haunts, as it were. So there will be time for bratwurst and brotchen (used to cost 1 DM, then $.25) and Wiener schnitzel. Although if Markus is aboard, I might request some from him as well.

I figured that this thread was a good place to post this, because there will be many Seabourn cruisers in and out of Copenhagen this summer. In today’s NYTimes the travel section has an article on ‘The Coming of Age of Nordic Cuisine’. It discusses 3 restaurants, one of which made the recent Best Restaurants in the World list (link below). I will let you form your own conclusions, instead of discussions of quotes such as ‘inventiveness and wit’ and ‘nitrogen-treated elderflowers'.

1. Nona, Strandegade 93, 45-3296-3297; http://www.noma.dk (2 MIchelin stars)

2. Alberto K, Radisson Royal Denmark Hotel, 45-3342-6161;

http://www.alberto-k.com

3. Geranium, Kronprincessgrade 13; 45-3311-1304; http://www.restaurantgeranium.dk

http://www.theworlds50best.com/2007_list.html

Hi Jane,

You're definitely doing the right thing in going through Seabourn. I have tried independent travel agencies in the past and have encountered so many problems that I now only consider using the cruise line. If anything goes wrong you have the backing of the line. Having sailed on all sisters Carol Frey is the best and clearly the most experienced concierge the company has so I'm sure she will be able to take care of your needs.

Enjoy!

Absolutely. I Might think otherwise about a private tour if I was part of a group, but I have been very happy with all that Seabourn arranges. And yes, I would hate to be left on the pier....

Archived