pushy vendors?

nowendy

We too are going to visit Progresso instead of Costa Mayer because of the hurricane. I would like to just hang out on the beach. I have read conflicting stories about the vendors hassling you. Any recent visitors with any experience of just sitting around the beach. Will they come and hassle you on the beach? Should we be looking for an AI resort so we can have peace and quiet?

Thanks,

On the beach, you will be approached and asked if you would like to buy anything. If you just say, "gracias, no", they will leave you alone. If you truly don't want to be approached-then do the all inclusive. EIther way, I hope you enjoy your stop. I love Progreso and Merida.

nowendy. I've spent three annual two week vacations in the area. Also two port calls previously. I have NEVER been hassled anywhere in the Yucatan. Are there vendors? Sure. The area has rampant poverty. The vendors are merely trying to earn an honest living and providing for their families. Like I suspect any of us would in the same dire circumstances. As Lynngould suggested, try a friendly "gratias no".

Although I've spent a couple of nights at the Reef Yucatan AI, I would not waste my time at an AI when I could get out and experience a new and different culture. I can't wait till I can return again.

There is so much to do while visiting Progreso. Checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Progreso the first week of October. We did not go to the beach as we went on a Mayan ruin tour and then returned to the outdoor market at Progreso to shop. I think some of them were quite pushy there. Even a no thanks or no gracias did not seem to work for us some of the time. It didn't for others as well, as I watched them getting hassled as well.

I wanted to look through the marketplace to see what they had; I didn't want to buy the first time through as we wanted to see what was there. When I told the vendors that I was looking at all the vendor's items first, I had some of them say "that's what everyone says, and then they don't come back." Well, needless to say, I didn't return to those particular vendors. I did buy some things at that market, but we got tired of being hasseled and got on the return shuttle to finish shopping at the port stores. Nobody hassled us at those stores.

I realize there's alot of poverty, but I can't deal with having things pushed at me constantly. It's just not condusive to my buying something. The women at the market were not pushy, but I thought some of the men were. It must work on a number of people though, because they woulnd't be doing this if it weren't successful much of the time.

I remember from St. Marten, all the island girls at the beach trying to get our attention and approaching us to see if our daughter would want her hair braided. It finally took my husband to tactfully tell them to go away, we are not interested.

They did.

I feel for the locals and they are trying to do anything and everything to make a buck.

But some of them need to be a little more considerate.

Archived