I am having second thoughts about NCL

themishmans

Might be easier to answer if we knew with a few more details what you are having second thoughts about? It would certainly eliminate those that are bound to answer : "Don't worry, the tap water is fine" or "Yes, you can wear jeans" without knowing what you are worried about.

You don't give much info but we're going on the dawn 0ct 08 and cannot wait. We've been on ncl twice in the past two years and LOVE it.

The dawn from what I hear has so much for families to do so I don't think you made a bad choice at all. Your kids alone will have a blast.

Put the bad thoughts out of your mind, read some reviews on the dawn and have a great time.

I love it b/c I love the freedom of freestyle. I'm on vacation; don't tell me when to eat or make me eat at with strangers.

As others have asked, what are your concerns?

If you are hearing "bad things" do this: Think of a resort where you have been & that you loved. Now google it on some travel site where real people can comment. Read those reviews. Some of them will say that the place you loved sucked. It's just human nature; not everybody loves everything. Take it all in stride.

You will have a lovely time until you talk yourself out of doing so. (don't do that :rolleyes: )

Two people (on separate occasions) have told me that NCL is really a down-market line and I should have booked something more upscale. :( I don't know if they know what they are talking about, but since I have not cruised before, I am uncertain.

We are going Christmas week, so it's not like this is a cheap vacation for us. In fact, it rather stretches the budget. I just want it to be nice. My girls are looking forward to it and I don't want to disappoint them.

My DH is a bit of a snob (I love him, but it is true). I really don't want him to have anything at which to look down his nose.

Just pre-vacation jitters I guess.

If this is your family's first cruise, I think you'll have a wonderful time. You have picked a beautiful ship and an intinerary you want, what's not to like?

If you had cruised before and loved traditional cruising with assigned seating and formal nights, then maybe NCL wouldn't be for you. Remember one thing - thousands of people are repeat cruisers on NCL, the line must be doing something right.

Keep in mind that most people dont post rave reviews even though they had a fabulous time . For some un-known reason when some 1st or 2nd time cruiser's find an insignificant problem they let it blow thier whole trip . People like to bitch more than praise , I dont know why but you will come to understand that on these boards ..

Now go have a great time and when you come back you can tells us all about it .. THEN you"ll be like the rest of us junkies :p

MPK

Two people (on separate occasions) have told me that NCL is really a down-market line and I should have booked something more upscale. :( I don't know if they know what they are talking about, but since I have not cruised before, I am uncertain.

We are going Christmas week, so it's not like this is a cheap vacation for us. In fact, it rather stretches the budget. I just want it to be nice. My girls are looking forward to it and I don't want to disappoint them.

My DH is a bit of a snob (I love him, but it is true). I really don't want him to have anything at which to look down his nose.

If you wanted something a little more upscale it will cost you. You already said your over your budget now. There is nothing wrong with NCL and I believe you and your family will have a great time. Don't let little things and people bother you. Just look forward to the cruise and have a good time. Its a very relaxing cruise being freestlye. No problems here and I have been on several NCL cruises:D

We just traveled with friends that "heard" the same story as you, "NCL is the bottom of cruises, they are awful, food is bad, freestyle means people are low class and show it in their behavior and manners."

They got off the cruise and told us all the stories they "heard" about NCL was so far from the truth where did people get that mis-information.

We started cruising with NCL about 4 years ago, never tried another line as NCL fills what we expect and want for a cruising vacation. We make our plans around our schedule, not the cruise line. The crews are great and we have made some great friends with passengers and crew.

We have 3 cruises with NCL within the next 2 months and another planned for 11/08. I am searching for another cruise between March and Novemeber to plan an all girls cruise.

You decided to cruise on the Dawn, which we have been on the Star(sistership to the Dawn) 2x, go with the attitude that all will have fun. The staff are great, the passengers are good, and you are cruising at Christmas time. Come back and tell us all about your cruise.

If you have never cruised before you wont be disappointed with ncl.Your major cruise lines are like beauty contestants their good just some are a little better than others.Stop worrying and enjoy.

By the way , We cruise NCL with our 8 & 10 year old girls and they love , ( favorite line ) .. Curious ?? has the person who told you about NCL ever cruised before ??

mpk

Yes, they had both cruised but neither ever cruised NCL. One is also my ditzy sister in law, whose opinion on everything else is completely unreliable, so I don't know why I listened to her this time. ;)

I actually value the other woman's opinion.

I haven't been on the Dawn, so I can't offer you opinions about that particular ship.

We LOVE NCL! For my lifestyle, freestyle cruising is exactly what I feel comfortable with. I'm not interested at all in having to dine at assigned times, at an assigned table, with assigned tablemates. I like having the freedom to eat when I want, at my choice of restaurants, with either just my family that I'm cruising with or with a larger group including friends from the roll-call. My family doesn't follow any sort of set schedule at home, and I certainly don't want to be dealing with a regular schedule on vacation.

I'm not interested in having to dress up and meet someone else's definition of formal attire. We do normally "dress up" for what used to be called formal night and get our photos taken, but with NCL's relaxed dress code, I don't feel like I have to follow the dictates of the fashionistas on the other lines.

From what I've read since I started posting on these boards 4 years ago or so, the majority of the posters who make disparaging comments about NCL are the ones who have been cruising for years and like the more traditional way of cruising. Those of us who picked NCL specifically for it's freestyle cruising are much more likely to be satisifed.

When I first started cruising, I was sure I was going to hate everything about it -- mainly for the reasons listed above. 4 years later, and 5 completed cruises, I'm perfectly happy with NCL and see no reason to switch in the near future :D .

Yes, they had both cruised but neither ever cruised NCL. One is also my ditzy sister in law, whose opinion on everything else is completely unreliable, so I don't know why I listened to her this time. ;)

Well then , no worries ... You know what they say about opinions " there like A&o%es , every ones got one:eek: ..

Youll have a great time , I garunteeeeeee it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our first cruise was with NCL...on the Sun. It was everything that we could have hoped for. since it was our first cruise we didn't know what to expect, and I had a small case of the jitters, but it was wonderful. Our next cruise will be with RCI simply because of the opportunity to sail on Voyager of the Seas. Both Itineraries are going to be very similar, and the cruise length is the same. We will be back on NCL again and I'm very confident that we will have the same feelings.

We are travelling on NCL for the first time this January. My father in law, who IS a snob, there is just no other way to term it, finds that NCL is his favorite cruise line. We are very much looking forward to this cruise.

Remember - a vacation is what you make of it. Things happen, but as long as you don't let the little things ruin your vacation, you are going to have a fabulous time :)

Unfortunately the 2 people have never sailed with NCL before, therefore they are passing on only what they have heard. That statement should always be "look I don't have first hand knowledge but this is what I heard...". Then you have to wonder where did they hear it from, etc, etc. Now is the time to make your own opinion. You have never sailed before so you have nothing prior to compare to. Go, enjoy, be opened minded, be flexible, relax. We have sailed twice on NCL most recently onthe Dawn. Loved both cruises, have a third booked, what does that tell you. We have found the food to be excellent (I enjoy anything I don't have to prepare, cook or clean-up), the service was great, very friendly, there were a million things to do on the ship and always found something interesting to do at the port, even if it was walk around a town and country I have never been to before. Read some of the reviews here on this board, always try to read between the lines, especially on the very negative reviews. I have found the negative reviews generally are for 1 of 2 reasons. #1 the reviewer has sailed other lines and was constantly comparing instead of just enjoying. #2 one minor negative thing did happen to the reviewer however they made a federal case of it and they harp on it in their review and it ruined their entire cruise. So what, the bed wasn't turned down in a timely manner, or there wasn't shrimp at the buffet. As I said be flexible, reasonable, don't sweat the small stuff.

We sailed last Christmas on the Spirit, and it was the best Christmas we have ever had. There was caroling, Santa was there for pictures and everyone 12/ under received a present from Santa. We enjoyed service aboard the ship, the massive tree, ginger bread houses and lovely decorations.

I would say you will have the time of your lives, but I won't be so forward as that, you make your opinion. but I will tell we had the time of our lives, twice.

Would love to see you post after the cruise and give us your opinion from an experienced cruiser.

If, as you say, hubby is a bit of a snob, I highly recommend dining in the specialty restaurants. On Pride of Hawaii, we ate in the Asian restaurant twice (our absolute favourite), Teppanyaki once (OK, I've been to better), French (good), steak house (wonderful!). We found the service in the specialty restaurants to be great - a lovely upscale dining experience.

While there wasn't a formal night like on some other lines, there was one night where passengers were encouraged to really dress up if they wanted to, and many did. Most of the people I saw were dressed very nicely in the evenings anyway, if that helps with snooty appeal :D

As others have mentioned, you can't please everyone - there will always be complainers in every bunch. We often get what we expect. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, and will meet lots of nice people. Don't go looking for issues and you're less likely to find them.

We're booked on NCL Pearl in December - can't wait!!!!

Bon Voyage!:)

Ask your S-i-L what her favorite vacation / cruise line is. Then go read about it. Somebody somewhere will have hated it. There's no accounting for taste.

We've been doing 'civilian' cruising for over ten years now and all I'll say is NCL really is our favorite cruise line. Like everyone has said, we really appreciate the 'Freestyle' dining and eating when and where we'd like. When planning our next trip, we always look at NCL first and are even flexible to try and cruise NCL before most others. Try and think of it this way, not everybody drives a Ford or a Chevy, for their own reasons. Trust me, you and your family are going to love your cruise. Next time, try someone else. You'll soon find the cruiseline YOU like the best.

Keep checking back on CC and you'll be prepared, no worries. There used to be a list on here of helpful ideas for cruising that I thought was terrific, but it was LONG and very entertaining to read. Smile, be happy, and go knowing you will have the time of your life!;)

we ve cruise d on RCCL, Carnival and NCL many time s..each having their

strong and weak point s..but, it s hard to get away from NCL..

the time we chose NCL was cuz we want d to try something different from the schedule d seating in the main dining..the wife at first had her

doubt s about the whole freestyle concept..but after the 3rd day she

was hook d..

we now only sail other cruise line s only when NCL doe s not offer the same itinerary..*man i luv spell check*..

as nice as the specialty restraunt s are..our only meal in main dining

was as good or better than that of specialtie s..

your children will have alot to do..there s something for everyone sailing..if they don t like the children s program..there s still the pool and teen club s..on the Star *Dawn s sister ship* we pass d the teen club..it was ripping so loud that only if i could go in..:p

and just because someone wear s jean into the main dining doesn t mean he s low class..it could turn out to be donald trump :eek:

So... two people who have never cruised NCL before are badmouthing them. Sounds like hearsay and gossip to me!!

I HAVE been on NCL, as well as Carnival, Costa, and Bermuda Star, and I can tell you from my personal experience that our NCL cruise last December was my favorite - and that's including the bad weather we had and comparing it to the wide-eyed wonder of cruising as a child at Christmas time!! NCL's freestyle concept really works for us. We also like their prices. There's been some flak about the surcharge restaurants and charges for soda, but to us, that's a good thing. We pay the base price for the cruise, then decide if we want to eat outside the included venues (last time we didn't, and loved the food), or drink soda between meals.

I have never been on a cruise I didn't enjoy and I never expect to. As I said, freestyle works well for us, but I would definitely book another line if the itinerary, timing and price was right, and I have absolutely no doubt that I would love it. To me enjoying cruising isn't as much about the line itself, but about the overall experience. You're on the water, you're seeing scenery and life that is different from your home, and most importantly, someone else is doing ALL the chores!!! ha ha ha

You're going to LOVE your holiday!! I envy you being able to travel at Christmas!!

Have fun! (and when you get home and the gossips try to tell you the only reason you enjoyed it is because you 'don't know any better' remind them that they don't either... they've never tried it, so all they can do is spread rumours!!) :p

Archived