Charges on Sign and Sail Account

ariel7303

I just returned from the Carnival Liberty 11/04/07 sailing. Half way into the cruise I was checking my account on the room tv to verify that my tips were not added to my account since I had prepaid the tips. Although, the tips were not listed...$57 in charges was listed there. Amazing to even myself but I had not made any purchases. I went down to the Purser's desk and it took about 24 hours to get the charges taken off. I understand that mistakes happen and my mistake was resolved timely. I just wanted to remind everyone to check their accounts carefuly to verify a mistake has not been made.

We checked our account either first thing in the morning before leaving our stateroom or last thing at night. I am not saying they Carnival trys to do anything but we just like to make sure everything is okay. SMART HABIT TO GET INTO ON BOARD SHIP.

Frankly, this is a smart habit to get into, period. Although it also applies to your sign and sail account, it is not a cruise ship specific problem or issue.

I have had erroneus charges added to my bill other places, especially at hotels and restaurants. You should always check your bills and invoices to insure that you are charged for what you received and only what you received.

Sorry if my tone sounds harsh, but sometimes these threads get started and people act like they've never had an erroneously billed item anywhere except on a cruise ship. Then someone starts saying they will never cruise on Carnival again because, obviously, Carnival does it on purpose to get more money out of everyone, and so on and on. I don't like errors either but fact is, as long as people are involved in the process, stuff happens. No one is perfect. Oh yeah, and last time I checked, most computer programs were written by people so sometimes full automation isn't the answer either.

I must be having another rough day at work. It's got to be five o'oclock somewhere.

We take one of the envelopes from our Platinum stationary and put it in the vanity drawer to collect the receipts.

Yes, we have every one and before we leave the ship...hubby checks off each and every one!

We were on the same cruise and one of our beach towels was missing from our room. I asked our cabin steward if he took it and he said no. I then went down to the pursers desk and told the woman about it and she called our cabin steward and he again said he didn't take it. I told her that I know we brought both towels back when we came back from the hot tub because we hung them up in the bathroom. She said if it wasn't found we would be charged for it. The next day the charge was on our bill. Then the next day she called and said an extra towel was found in laundry and we would be credited for the towel. I checked our account on the tv and we were credited for it. I guess our steward "forgot" that he took the towel to laundry!

We leave in 12 days....Jeez I'm going on vacation to enjoy and not have to cover my butt with the towels! I'll just ask the steward to remove them from our room along with the overpriced water and crap in the frig and sign something saying he/she did this. Less stress and hassles.

I don't have them unlock the refrigerator. I sign a paper saying I requested the refrigerator be locked so I'm not charged for anything in it.

I use ice buckets to keep pop cold, last cruise the steward put 3 of them in my cabin.

Yeah, the fridge didn't keep anything cold anyway. Our steward brought us a large plastic ice bucket, without us even asking, and kept it filled with ice. The towels we just tossed up in the closet shelf because I was paranoid about losing them.

I am curious what the extra charges were for?

When they charge someting, they key the folio number into the computer. I don't think they even need your card - they don't swipe it. If someone gave the wrong number, or they keyed it in incorrectly, it may show up on another account. It can happen.

I am glad it got resolved. It must take a lot of work for the ship staff to sort through all the issues that come up!

My only problem would be keeping up with all the charges!!

All those little white receipts kind of end up in a wad in the desk drawer!

;)

I know we have the same problem, too many receipts to keep track of.

I haven't yet sailed on a ship that had the interactive tv with which to check the bill. I always keep the little slips.

And I've never been in a cabin with a minibar, so I plan on just keeping it locked.

Our room stewards have always removed wet/used beach towels and replaced them by that evening. We've never had a problem with that. I'm not going to cram beach towels into my already overstuffed suitcases when they provide them on the ship. I do keep my eye on them when we're on shore.

We drink, and usually purchase 1 photo from formal night, but that's about all that goes on my card, so it isn't that difficult to keep up with.

I always know almost exactly what should be on my S&S and have never checked it until the final night. Now that DD is 21, we're on a 7-night cruise so will have more charges, and we'll have the ability to check it via the TV, I imagine I'll check it at least once mid-way through.

Actually, I can't imagine NOT checking it when it's so easy to do so.

Well shoot...on another line (that shall remain nameless) we were charged nearly $300 for excursions we didn't take. I went down to the pursar's desk EVERY day on this cruise to tell them, those charges are not mine...over and over again. On the day of disembarkation they tried to detain us on the ship!!!! I went to the pursar's desk AGAIN and told them that I would not be paying for excursions that were not mine (I'd put a stop on my card via the internet when I saw that they were not cooperating in me paying for them). They FINALLY had be sign a letter saying that they would remove the charges b/c I was disputing them. However, we recently got a letter stating that we were being placed in collections for this amount from this cruise line! I NOW only pay in cash for my sign in sail.

Archived