How decent is Celebritys Cabernet Savignon?

Daphna101

I'm certainly no wine expert, and my tastes run toward acceptable and inexpensive. That said, I drank this wine with dinner every night on the Century last April and enjoyed it very much. My only mistake was paying by the glass each evening, and I won't do that again -- this time it will be ordering by the bottle which they will hold for me for the next evening(s). Let's see if a more sophisticated wine palate weighs in here with a differing opinion. :p :)

David

We thought it was ok for the price. Our fav cab was not available (St. Francis ) so we tried the Celebrity's brand the first night. It was as good as anything that we had around that price. That's about all we want to pay with the huge mark-up. It was maybe fruitier (is that a word?) than most cabs - but in a nice way!

Just curious if anyone can comment on Celebritys House Brand -Cabernet Savignon. It comes in their special bottle, and does Not include a corking fee. I like bold good reds.

Thanks

Daphna

Daphna -

This is a very nice red - I think you might like it:

146 Tignanello, IGT, Marchesi Antinori, Italy 1999/2000 78.00

Intensely fruity and complex on the nose, full-bodied, rich and complex.

There is exceptional structure and lengthy finish.

Also the Pinot Noir "Carneros" La Crema is not too bad 35.00

SEE YOU SOON!:)

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have had the Peter Lehmann Shiraz / Barbarossa. Quite nice. Had it at a local tasting recently. I llke that the wine steward will re-cork your wine for the next night should you not drink it. It doesnt happen much with us. :D

Daphna

Forensic, I agree La crema is good, never heard of the other. Since we are neighbors, are you bringing any wine?

I believe all Celebrity house wines are from either Wente Vineyards or Murrietas Well which are both wineries from my Livermore Valley.Wente actually owns both of them.If you pull the cork on either one it will have the original winery on it.If you attend the Celebrity wine and food pairing these are the wines that are poured.These wines are readily available at Costco in california at least and Beverages and More stores.They are both available on the internet if you want to try before you cruise.They are all decent IMHO.

Hello!

Just curious ... does anyone happen to have a copy of the wine list that Celebrity serves on its ships? Or, does it vary and get changed out too often to publish?

DH and I are cruising on the Constellation 3/21-3/31 and would love to have an idea of what they may be serving ahead of time. :)

Also, do they allow you to carry on a couple of bottles - then charge for corking? Is that worth it??? I forget what the range of cost is for wines on board.

We were served a nice Sequoia Grove Cabernet on the Constellation two years ago and it was less expensive on ship than what we have to pay for at home in MA at our local discount wine shop. And of course, it is now a favorite! :eek: -mj

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have had the Peter Lehmann Shiraz / Barbarossa. Quite nice. Had it at a local tasting recently. I llke that the wine steward will re-cork your wine for the next night should you not drink it. It doesnt happen much with us. :D

Daphna

Forensic, I agree La crema is good, never heard of the other. Since we are neighbors, are you bringing any wine?

I wish we could, we have some wines we would love to bring! But we are flying and I have enough problems keeping to the weigh limits.:(

Tignanello, IGT, Marchesi Antinori, Italy -- This is what they call a "Super Tuscan" and we love it! Of course they charge way too much, especially due to it being a recent year, but they charge way too much for all of their wines, I would bring it if I could.

Also, do they allow you to carry on a couple of bottles - then charge for corking? Is that worth it??? I forget what the range of cost is for wines on board.

j

Two per cabin and the fee is $25 per bottle.

Not sure what the OP means that the house brand carries no corkage fee as they do not charge corkage on any bottle/brand purchased on board. They are already getting their profit on what they charge.:confused:

Two per cabin and the fee is $25 per bottle.

Not sure what the OP means that the house brand carries no corkage fee as they do not charge corkage on any bottle/brand purchased on board. They are already getting their profit on what they charge.:confused:

Thanks for the scoop.

Sounds like for the additional charge of $25 corkage fee per bottle, not worth bringing anything on board. Might as well just relax and order from their menu, rather than go through the trouble of carrying bottles... :(

Thanks again - you saved us some trouble!!! :)

I tried a bottle of the very first X Cab a few years back on Connie and it was really nice and a good value, but do not remember the vintage. Had another bottle this summer on Galaxy and while it was decent and quite drinkable (approachable as they like to say in the tasting rooms) it did not quite measure up to my first bottle and I do know they were different year vintages. On my next cruise I will try the next vintage since I have yet to have a bad bottle of wine on a Celebrity cruise.

Thanks for the scoop.

Sounds like for the additional charge of $25 corkage fee per bottle, not worth bringing anything on board. Might as well just relax and order from their menu, rather than go through the trouble of carrying bottles... :(

Thanks again - you saved us some trouble!!! :)

We did take 12 bottles (6 cabins) and paid the fee. It was special wine and the Sommelier at the specialty restaurant commented that is was better than any had aboard. In general, though, I would bring it to drink in my cabin and buy it at dinner since they have made their corkage fee excessive, IMO.

Archived