Lamanai & River - time after? if so, what to do?

carissa921

It's only a little more than a week until our cruise (last minute plans to begin with) and I still haven't chosen any of the shore excursions! This is our first cruise and we are so confused!

If we do Lamanai & New River Safari through NCL, how long is the ride back? Once you get back, what is there to do? The tour starts at 8:30am and goes for 7.5 hours. The ship leaves at 6pm.

We'd like to grab some souveneirs or maybe hang out at a beach? We won't be back in time for any of the ship-sponsored beach excursions. It's probably only enough to walk somewhere near the drop off point (wherever that is!).

If we did Altun Ha, we would have much more time, but even then, what would we actually do??? This is my problem with every port on the list, we want to make the most of our stops but don't know what to do outside of the excursions or tour companies.

(P.S.-we don't want to pre-pay or arrange with an independent tour guide, we would like something we could do on our own)

Thanks!

Carissa

It's only a little more than a week until our cruise (last minute plans to begin with) and I still haven't chosen any of the shore excursions! This is our first cruise and we are so confused!

If we do Lamanai & New River Safari through NCL, how long is the ride back? Once you get back, what is there to do? The tour starts at 8:30am and goes for 7.5 hours. The ship leaves at 6pm.

We'd like to grab some souveneirs or maybe hang out at a beach? We won't be back in time for any of the ship-sponsored beach excursions. It's probably only enough to walk somewhere near the drop off point (wherever that is!).

If we did Altun Ha, we would have much more time, but even then, what would we actually do??? This is my problem with every port on the list, we want to make the most of our stops but don't know what to do outside of the excursions or tour companies.

(P.S.-we don't want to pre-pay or arrange with an independent tour guide, we would like something we could do on our own)

Thanks!

Carissa

I have been looking into doing this trip through the ship too, and I really don't think we'll have any time left to do anything when the excursion is over.

Remember, you have to be back on the ship an hour before it departs, so that would only leave about an hour anyway - IF everything runs smoothly!

I feel your pain! These are all new ports for us too, and I have no clue what to do - especially since we are NOT snorkelers or beach bunnies!

Good Luck!

:)

plus belize is a tender port, not docking. add in time for the lines and the trip back to the ship in the tenders. that's why we are taking this same tour through NCL. it's a long trip, but gets rave reviews. (read down the page to another discussion on lamanai and the river safari).

belize is not a good port for just walking around, at least not near the docks. we are doing the beach thing in cozumel.... belize is so well known for it's mayan ruins, i don't want to miss this chance. i haven't asked, yet, but many someone could tell us if there are a few shops around the docks? (i imagine there is) usually some local vendors sell trinkets around the ships.

Thanks!

Carissa

I am happy to see that NCL offer trips to Lamanai. We were there last February and LOVED it! We did it as an independent tour and took the risk of not getting back to the ship - we made it with time to do a little shopping.

I would also recommend that you do a search for other threads about Lamanai - there is a lot of good information in them.

I will try to give you quick answers to your questions.

I wish we had as much time in Belize as you do. I do not know if you will be able to do another tour or go on your own a beach after your return. There are vendors outside the port that have interesting handicrafts. Inside the port there are shops - jewelry, Rx, and other shops.

The trip to Lamanai is a thrill. The bus ride is interesting as you will travel along the Pan-American Highway (old and new) and see the countryside.

From Orange Walk you will get on a boat that will take you down the New River ant a fast pace stopping along the way to see alligators, birds and flora. (24 miles)

Once at Lamanai, you will walk through the site and see the many ruins of the Mayan civilization. You will have the opportunity to climb one of the pyramids - a great thrill. It is very steep and not the easiest thing, but I am so glad I did it.

There is a small museum and a few local craft "shops" at the site. You will also eat lunch there.

You will leave Lamanai the same way you came in. Take the boat back to the bus and drive back to Belize City.

Take a look at the other threads for more info and pictures!

You will have time to do a little shopping after the NCL Lamani excursion but definatly not enough time to go to a beach. Also, as said before, you probably don't want to go wandering on your own outside the pier area. There are armed security guards at the gate to the pier for a reason. On the plus side, there are some shops at the pier as well as a few small ones at the ruins if you are only looking for a souvinere. We had about an hour and a half after returning from the NCL excursion to do some shopping.

Keith

We did the Lamanai & New River Safari through NCL and it is still one of our favorite memories. The runis are amazing. You won't be disappointed. There's a small craft market (probably 8-12 different sellers) set up where the riverboat meets the bus, and on your way back from Lamanai your tour guide will give you some time to shop. We found the selection and the prices to be much better than what was available at the ruins gift shops. The articles seemed more like truly local products rather than mass produced souviners. We bought a beautiful hand-carved wooden mask that the artist signed and dated for us on the back--nice since it was a birthday for one in our group. Have fun!

Archived