Space Bags

smw3012

We are braking the cardinal rule and not flying out the day before on our 12/1 week long honeymoon cruise. Was considing only using carryon luggage but putting our clothes in space bags to have enough space. Has anyone every done this? If so how did it work out?

I have used them, still did not have enough room after shoes and personnel things. You can seal them up some what press them down put weight on them.Was not the same as sucking air out but gave some space.

but here is one problem...What are you going to seal it back with?

Travel space bags are cool, you do not need a vacuum device, all you do is roll the bag with the clothing in it and it has some cool check valves that lets the air out but won't let it back in.

The problem is that, yes you can make room but now your luggage becomes very heavy, if you are flying you will get hit with the weigh penalty.

Fred

I used these bags this Spring when I flew to Hawaii for 10 days...with only a carry on luggage!! They worked great & I even got the cleaning lady to use her vacume B4 I came home.

Not real impressed with them at home tho....they just don't hold up well for storage....seem to let go & loose their air or tear VERY easy.

I will try to use the travel ones on my cruise in Jan....we'll see.

We have used the travel ones for our past 3 cruises. I love them. We use hard side luggage and 4 of the bags. I can get undergarments in one, DH's shirts (not dress shirts) in another, my sport clothes in one and my mini first-aid kit with liquids in the other. Good stuff is in garment bag with dry-cleaner bags over each garment. The shoes just kind of fill in the blank spaces.

We are braking the cardinal rule and not flying out the day before on our 12/1 week long honeymoon cruise. Was considing only using carryon luggage but putting our clothes in space bags to have enough space. Has anyone every done this? If so how did it work out?

Why not investigate one of the concierge luggage services and have your suitcases sent on ahead? Then you can pack what you want, they are safe and reliable and a carry-on will hold your 'must-haves'. I use DHL through Seabourn, but there are many firms that do the same thing. I am sure Carnival can give you more information if you need it.

I've been using space bags for years the travel ones work really well. After rolling if you place them on a chair and then gently sit on them you can get them to go even flatter, and it keeps the wrinkles and the curve down. Last cruise i placed some liquor in a travel space bag in seeing you need to check that now with the new limits on carry-ons. Well sadly one bottle leaked a bit but nothing made it past the space bag. I don't think a ziplock bag would have held up as well. Just be careful once you make more room it means you will want to bring more stuff with you. Weight becomes a issue now. I like to weight my luggage at home then add 3 pounds to the number i get just to make sure i come in under the limit set by th airline. I add 3 pounds just to cover and differences in scales, no issues so far and usually well under the limit's set.

The travel space bags work really well to save space but can make your bag very heavy after a while. The problem with doing a carryon only is what to do with your liquids/gels since they cannot be carried on a plane anymore, only checked. (Except for one quart size ziploc with 3oz. or less containers in it.) So if you have tubes of sunblock, shampoo, moisturizer, foundation, etc. what will you do with it if you don't check luggage? Anything over 3oz. must be checked and anything that won't fit in the quart size bag also has to go. I'm the queen of travel size toiletries but no way could I get a weeks worth of stuff including my makeup into that one ziploc.

• 1 month later...

We used these travel bags for an 11 night + 3 additional nights in Honolulu and were able to pack in carry on luggage only....definitely the way to go. The kicker, we did this sailing on Norwegian where there are no required formal nights and $25 only to wash an entire huge bag full of laundry. The space bags made this all possible and we used the travel kind that didn't require any vacuum to seal. These worked amazingly and everything was so easy to sort through at security as it was all in bags that pulled out and inserted back into the baggage so easily.

We did take only toiletries up to 3 oz. -- you can by toiletries including sunscreen anywhere including bottles of these ietms sold right on the ship. We did take a small spray bottle of 'wrinkle releaser' for the cotton clothing and as mentioned, sent some laundry out onboard. The nice thing about taking smaller toiletries onboard, once gone, they are tossed, allowing more room for souveniers from the islands....nothing too big, mind you.

What I would do different next time, pack in the carry-ons but make sure one is of the type you wouldn't mind checking. You can pick up a another piece while on vacation very cheaply or even free to pack additional items you may want to purchase. We ended up giving our room steward a pair of sandals that he really liked (after we asked if he was interested, mind you) to make room for a large album we bought at one of the markets in Hilo. There are all sorts of ways to make room in your luggage for the way back if you don't mind leaving / tossing some of the stuff you brought with you. I think being able to pack in carry-ons only was fantastic. I think we are trying it out again on our next cruise as we have pre and post cruise plans that are each in different cities than that of embarkation/disembarkation and don't want to have a lot of additional luggage to worry about. We will have to opt out of going to formal nights but will be worth it if we can pull this off once again.

Yes, we will be using those space bags if this comes to pass.

FWIW, We have used the 10 gal and 20 gal ziplock bags for ski trips (considerably more/bulky clothing). They worked great. Put your clothes in, seal it with about one inch to spare, roll out the air, then finish sealing. We have reused them a couple of times. I did not compare the price to the space bags, but I am guessing they are cheaper and for us they worked fine. Take some extras in case you spring a leak or two. Good luck.

Archived