Obstructed Oceanview Guarantee-Westerdam

mp006

I just booked an Obstructed Oceanview Category "H" GUARANTEE on the Westerdam 5/18/08. I am not picky regarding location, as I booked an oceanview because it is larger than the inside staterooms.

Has anyone had an upgrade with this type of booking, and if so, what can I expect? Even if there is no upgrade, I'll be happy. It will be fun anticipating "the upgrade fairy" (maybe) when the time comes.

My DD and her DH have an H guarantee pending right now on the Zuiderdam (and we have a VD guarantee) so hopefully I'll be able to answer your question in 1 to 2 weeks. (I'll subscribe to this thread.)

We have twice booked VE guarantees on Vistas and been upgraded to VA each time.

I had a obstructed view cabin on the Westerdam and was quite pleased with it. An upgrade would have been nice, but this room was located in the middle of the ship and we did have some view and plenty of natural light. For us the savings was worth the obstructed view.

Hope the Upgrade Fairy visits you!

Ferry Watcher

My daughters had H cabins on the Zuiderdam in May 2005 -- not guarantees -- and they did not get upgraded.

They had H guarantees on the same ship this fall -- and they ended up in GG cabins, a slight upgrade, but still obstructed view.

Two other people in their party also had H guarantees and also were upgraded to GG.

We had booked H category Guarantee, Obstructed Oceanview on the Maasdam, and were upgraded to an E Oceanview, so that worked out great. We made it a point to be happy with the H category if we landed there, as the price was fantastic.

For our upcoming Zuiderdam cruise, we booked a VE balcony guarantee, and were upgraded to a VB balcony. :)

Some say that booking a guarantee is like a crapshoot, but I don't see the problem as long as you're totally fine with the rooms in the guarantee category, AND you already saved money. Additionally, you get the thrill of anticipation as you wait for your cabin assignment / potential upgrade!

Have fun!!!

Some say that booking a guarantee is like a crapshoot, but I don't see the problem as long as you're totally fine with the rooms in the guarantee category, AND you already saved money.
We once booked an HH Guar and were upgraded to an FF. We didn't like the location, and have since raised our "minimum" to EE on S-class ships.

I just booked an Obstructed Oceanview Category "H" GUARANTEE on the Westerdam 5/18/08. I am not picky regarding location, as I booked an oceanview because it is larger than the inside staterooms.

Has anyone had an upgrade with this type of booking, and if so, what can I expect? Even if there is no upgrade, I'll be happy. It will be fun anticipating "the upgrade fairy" (maybe) when the time comes.

We leave on 11/24 on the Oosterdam. We booked an H guarantee. When we got our cabin assignment last week we had been upgraded to a category D. We would have been happy with the H since that's what we could afford this cruise, but, of course, even happier with the D.

Wow, all of these categories are confusing. I am checking the deck plans and it's hard to tell the difference between one obstructed oceanview and another. Of course the unobstructed would be great. Are they all the same size, and if they are what is the big difference?

Wow, all of these categories are confusing. I am checking the deck plans and it's hard to tell the difference between one obstructed oceanview and another. Of course the unobstructed would be great. Are they all the same size, and if they are what is the big difference?

Actually, not much. Mostly it is location, for those that are sensitive to motion a cabin located more mid-ship may provide a smoother ride in rough seas. This is not always consistant, for example in the case of the Vistas, though VE's are more central, VC's are an upgrade due to a larger verandah.

Go figure... :confused: :D

My recent experience was that I initially booked an inside cabin, paid to upgrade to a category H cabin and was eventually upgraded to a category GG. In the meantime, HAL called to offer me a downgrade to an inside cabin for an onboard credit. That was a no as I was determined to have the category H or higher not for the natural light, which there was plenty of or for the view of the lifeboat but for the tub. Your cabin on the Westerdam will be wonderful!! Have a super cruise.

Archived