Full tip for children ?

marcogilbert

How much do you tip for children ?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you tip for children ?

• Same as an adult. (Full tip)
    • 50% of an adult.

Maybe someone can explain to me why as a society we "tip"? I've never understood why we pay extra to some people for just doing their job. I'm assuming that the waitress at the restaurant was employed by the restaurant to be a waitress and that she receives an hourly or salary wage from the restaurant, so why do we pay them extra just for doing their job? To me that makes about as much sense as tipping the police officer after he has given you a ticket for speeding. After all he was just doing a good job?

Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to start an arguement and I do tip, but I really hate feeling that I have to do it. :rolleyes:

gmess - Most (though not all) restaurants only pay a server about $2 something an hour and they rely on tips for the rest...then they usually have to 'tip out' the bus people / bartenders, etc. (so if you don't tip someone they still have to tip out based on the tab so they paid to serve you). Seems like there should be a better system - I too hate 'having' to to tip.

dforeigner - You make a good point about the kids...I was considering the 50% (I think maybe because the price of their meals & stuff are less and we are accustomed to tipping for service based on the cost) but really when I think about it my kids require more than I do sometimes.

I will tip the full amount and maybe more if service is outstanding. The only time I won't tip the recommended amount is if someone is outwardly rude. On my last cruise, the maitre' d did absolutely nothing; not even say hello when we would enter the restaurant. I really wanted to skip his tip but DH made me leave the standard amount. Our waiter, on the other hand was incredible and he got extra. For the few on cruise ships who don't work that hard, there are probably another 80% that bust their behinds to make things great and don't have a great paying job/benefits to begin with. I give them the benefit of doubt and just consider it as part of my cost of the trip. Kids too. :)

Tricia

If the service is good, I pay whatever tip the cruise line recommends.

However, check and see where your tip goes. It does NOT go to all those people behind the scenes busting their behinds. It does NOT go to the cleaning lady who always smiled and made me feel so welcome. It does NOT even go to people that worked directly with my children, the camp counselors. The tip usually only goes to the cabin steward and wait staff.

If my children do not eat in the dining room, then I have no problem cutting that portion of the tip and giving it to the camp counselors instead. I just wish I didn't have to stand in line at guest services to do that.

I guess I don't agree with this one: Children are expected to pay the full tip and the camp counselors too. (because I don't see why my children should be expected to pay more than me).

Adults, like our children, engage in various activities on the ship from line dancing to games to trivia to shows. People don't tip for each of these services; they are part of the cruise.

We do have to pay the counselors, because that is an expected part of their income, just like the waiters. They are paid lower wages because of expected tips.

So, I repeat:

If the service is good, I pay whatever tip the cruise line recommends. It's just the right thing to do (even if you DO divy it up to the people you'd like it to go to).

But, honestly, I prefer the cruiselines that ask a proportionate tip for kids. Third and fourth passenger rates are lower for a reason. It is easier to clean a room with 4 beds than two rooms with two beds each. There is one bathroom to clean, one floor to sweep, one desk to straighten, and one towel animal to make. And, like I said, my children do not eat in the dining room that often.

Maybe someone can explain to me why as a society we "tip"? I've never understood why we pay extra to some people for just doing their job. I'm assuming that the waitress at the restaurant was employed by the restaurant to be a waitress and that she receives an hourly or salary wage from the restaurant, so why do we pay them extra just for doing their job? To me that makes about as much sense as tipping the police officer after he has given you a ticket for speeding. After all he was just doing a good job?

Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to start an arguement and I do tip, but I really hate feeling that I have to do it. :rolleyes:

Initially the tip was a bribe, money presented up fromt to make sure that you got the waiter's attention and assured that you got the best service that you could afford. The more tip, the better service. Eventually the tip was presented at the end of the meal as a reward, a tradition probably started by those that tipped up-front but didn't receive superior service.

In the cruising world, the tip is the large part of the server/steward/head waiter's wages. The reason that you get such terrific service is because of tips. The tipping procedure puts you in a unique position to reward great service and to punish substandard service. Where else do you have that power? The DMV? The doctor's office? The Post Office? Nay but you do have it on a cruise ship and your tip not only rewards those that serve you well but it punishes those who disappoint you. This simple thing also helps to improve the quality of the service on future cruises. Well-tipped great servers will stay on while lousy servers who get skunked tend to leave the ship and go work for the TSA. Future cruisers thank you for tipping appropriately.

If the service is good, I pay whatever tip the cruise line recommends.

But, honestly, I prefer the cruiselines that ask a proportionate tip for kids. Third and fourth passenger rates are lower for a reason. It is easier to clean a room with 4 beds than two rooms with two beds each. There is one bathroom to clean, one floor to sweep, one desk to straighten, and one towel animal to make. And, like I said, my children do not eat in the dining room that often.

Maybe it's just my kids but they create a lot more mess for the housekeepers and servers than my wife and I do. My youngest knocked-down his drink an average of once per meal (knocked down, not knocked-back) and they left clothes and other things all over their stateroom that were dutifully picked-up and folded by the stateroom steward. They should be paid more.

In shoreside restaurants, tips were often increased proportionally to the amount of food and utensils on the floor when we were done with a meal.

As a mature couple new to cruising, we have been investigating as many cruiselines as possible to learn about the differences (and there are many). I'm investigating Disney more for the cruising possibiities for the grandchildren than for when we travel on our own. In learning about the Disney cruises, I'm so happy to discover that the Disney product is as good (or better) than ever.

The question of tipping (and tipping on behalf of the children) is interesting and I'm happy to consider than cleaning up after the children can, indeed, be more work than cleaning up after adults, so I'm glad this issue was raised.

I thought you all might be interested to know something we learned on our last river cruise. As cruise clients booking from the US the amount of the tip is "recommended" and we are left to give the recommended amount, less, or more, as indicated. It may be automatically added on but you have the freedom to change it. Our Australian and New Zealand friends told us that when they booked the cruise, the tip was added on as part of the price (they knew exactly what it was but it had to be paid up-front -sort of like a tax and there was no freedom to change it). I have noticed that some of the large cruise lines do the same thing - only US and Canadians have this "recommended" tipping, presumably because we are familiar with the concept of tipping and understand that it is really a significant part of the wages while Australians and New Zealanders do not understand the concept of tipping, as we do, so it is added on as a basic part of the price.

I'm not sure I got my point across the way I wanted to, so here it is:

After all tips are figured, I think all passengers should be expected to pay the same total amount.

The proportionate tipping rate for children allows us the leftover money to tip the camp counselors, which is expected for any child using camp.

Thus, in the end, the children pay the same for their enjoyment of the cruise as we do. I can not see why they should pay more.

NOW ...

I can see how anyone might want to give a greater tip for bigger messes.

That is definitely the best part about tipping:

We can always tip more for greater service ... and we SHOULD.

In my case, my children definitely need less service from the individuals being tipped, and so I prefer the proportionate tipping rate (to those individuals) for children.

I don't think my children are super neat or rare in any way ... I just don't recall them ever leaving a mess (that I didn't make them clean up or clean up myself). I guess I would feel uncomfortable leaving our clothes on the floor. We rarely eat in the room or spend time in the room.

On the other hand, the people at the buffet DO have to clean our trays, but the tip doesn't go to them, does it?

Remember, even with a proportionate child rate .... We still DO need to tip the camp counselors. If anyone is cleaning up messes, they are. So, after tipping the counselors, our children end up giving the same total amount in tips as the adults anyway ... and that's really how it should be.

I'm not sure I got my point across the way I wanted to, so here it is:

After all tips are figured, I think all passengers should be expected to pay the same total amount.

The proportionate tipping rate for children allows us the leftover money to tip the camp counselors, which is expected for any child using camp.

You are unfortunately mistaken when it comes to Disney Cruise Line. The Counselors in the Youth Programs are not allowed to receive cash tips. Any cash given to the CMs in the Oceaneer's Club or Lab, or any of the programs is put into a general pool used to have parties for all of the CMs.

Since the "Camp Counselor" position on DCL is not a tipped position, they are paid a higher amount to compensate.

The CMs in the kids clubs are allowed to accept small gifts, but anything with a value over $20 must be put into the pool and is used as door prizes, service rewards or what have you.

The tipped positions on DCL are the Room Steward, and the three Dining Room Servers (main, assistant and head.)

The only other positions allowed to accept cash tips are bartenders, room service, Palo servers or Spa people (not part of DCL) and they are per service.

DCL is not like the other cruise lines.

You are unfortunately mistaken when it comes to Disney Cruise Line.

I was actually referring to the Original Post based on the cruises I've taken.

some cruise line suggest to tip 50%
-- Norwegian Cruise Lines

some cruise line suggest full tipping
-- Carnival Cruise Lines

However, both of those cruise lines expect people to also tip camp counselors. Thus on Carnival, kids are expected to pay more in the end than adults (more than 100%). That is what I disagree with.

Thank you for the Disney info, though, Yndygo. I am happy to see that Disney pays their camp counselors decent wages. :)

If our Disney cruise turns out as great as people say, then I fully expect to tip 100% for each of my children. (I bet they'll be eating in the dining rooms more on Disney than on other cruises too since dining sounds like one of the cruise highlights).

I see you just got back from your trip, Yndygo. Was it wonder-ful???

I have only been on one cruise (out of 4) in which it was announced by the cruise director at the last theatre show to not forget the camp counselors in the tips. I had never even thought about tipping the counselors since my understanding was they did not work for tips....they were paid more than those who pool the tips on the ship. Most cruise lines brag about the education level of their kids club staff ....they are "professionals" with degrees in teaching or some related early childhood field. The cruiseline may be their first job out of school, but they are considered professionals in their field. I believe this is how they command higher salaries on the ships, and don't need to rely on tips (altho happy to get them of course!). Both my kids go to summer camp, where the counselors are mostly high school students (and maybe some with a year of college) and these counselors are often tipped--they are just students themselves.

Just my experience onboard.....

Hmmm... We were told in more personal ways than a general announcement at a show ... i. e. a note given to our child and/or delievered to our stateroom.

On at least one cruise, we were actually given special envelopes with which to tip the camp counselors.

Question: So is it true that the camp counselors on Carnival and Norwegian get a full salary plus tips too? And I wonder how many are actually professional teachers? (I had heard that, too, about the educational levels of the kids' staff ... but after seeing Camp Carnival in action, I guess their universities have different ideas about professionalism than mine.)

I should look into that ... a career opportunity perhaps.

And here I've been wasting all these years teaching in the Midwest when I could have been cruising. ;)

Anyhow back to the original point: 100% is fine for the kids as long as I am not expected to tip the kids' crew too.

You are unfortunately mistaken when it comes to Disney Cruise Line. The Counselors in the Youth Programs are not allowed to receive cash tips. Any cash given to the CMs in the Oceaneer's Club or Lab, or any of the programs is put into a general pool used to have parties for all of the CMs.

Since the "Camp Counselor" position on DCL is not a tipped position, they are paid a higher amount to compensate.

The CMs in the kids clubs are allowed to accept small gifts, but anything with a value over $20 must be put into the pool and is used as door prizes, service rewards or what have you.

The tipped positions on DCL are the Room Steward, and the three Dining Room Servers (main, assistant and head.)

The only other positions allowed to accept cash tips are bartenders, room service, Palo servers or Spa people (not part of DCL) and they are per service.

DCL is not like the other cruise lines.

I've heard the same thing. The Oceaneer CMs aren't on the tipping list but I understand that they appreciate getting things like international phone cards.

On DCL even if your children (or the adults) never eat in the main dining room they are still being served by the dining room servers. During breakfast and lunch hours they will be working at Topsiders, Goofy's Galley and/or Plutos either cooking food, serving, replenishing buffet items, clearing tables, etc. They work all meals, not just dinner. As a result, they deserve tips for everyone, not just those who attend dinner in the dining room. They work extremely long hours every day to make our cruises more enjoyable!

We have given the CMs in the kids clubs bags of snack size chocolate candy and they seem to enjoy them.

UMTerp

On DCL even if your children (or the adults) never eat in the main dining room they are still being served by the dining room servers. During breakfast and lunch hours they will be working at Topsiders, Goofy's Galley and/or Plutos either cooking food, serving, replenishing buffet items, clearing tables, etc. They work all meals, not just dinner.

That's a good point.

And that is possibly true on other cruise lines as well.

To me that makes about as much sense as tipping the police officer after he has given you a ticket for speeding. After all he was just doing a good job?

Talk about twisting the subject...wow...

If you dont want to tip then just dont take advantage of the service...go get your own pizza, take your own bags to the a hotel room and go to fast food restaurants...many service employees wage is based largely on tips...

The silliest argument is the one that states "I refuse to pay tips b/c the cruise line pays a low wage." So punish the server that gives outstanding service for 7 days b/c you disagree with the cruise line pay scale:confused:

I was actually referring to the Original Post based on the cruises I've taken.

-- Norwegian Cruise Lines

-- Carnival Cruise Lines

However, both of those cruise lines expect people to also tip camp counselors. Thus on Carnival, kids are expected to pay more in the end than adults (more than 100%). That is what I disagree with.

Oh my goodness!! I would too! :( The only cruiseline we've taken since DD came along is DCL... and I guess they still do set the standard for the kids clubs!

My info comes from one of the CMs in the Oceaneer's Club and from other sources as well. I think DCL handles it appropriately!

Thank you for the Disney info, though, Yndygo. I am happy to see that Disney pays their camp counselors decent wages. :)

If our Disney cruise turns out as great as people say, then I fully expect to tip 100% for each of my children. (I bet they'll be eating in the dining rooms more on Disney than on other cruises too since dining sounds like one of the cruise highlights).

I see you just got back from your trip, Yndygo. Was it wonder-ful???

It was Magic-al!! And fabulous... and of course we rebooked on-board!!

Seriously - I can't imagine sailing anyone else with my daughter along. They really are incredible! :)

Boy, I'll have to agree with previous posts. Tipping is a private matter and is nobodys business but your own.

Everyone has their own opinions about tipping so lets leave it at that.

No let's not! This is a forumabout tipping, not privacy. Metrowon

If you want to be private about how much you tip I respect that completly, but for those that do volunteer details about how much they tip, chances are you will get a response...one way or the other...its a sensitive subject and if you dont want to discuss it then dont

But see here's the thing. As soon as someone posts an opinion that others don't agree with they get attacked for not having the same views as you.

You never see someone post that they tip the recommended amount or more and then have another person say "Well, I guess the saying is true.... a fool and their money are soon parted", but as soon as someone posts that they don't tip or that they only give a "partial" tip WATCH OUT because your a cheap low life and those poor hard workers and their families are now going to starve to death because your cheap.

Seems to me the only people who like to post about tipping are those that tip the most?

Archived