Visability due to Hurricanes

reklawr

Here's a question for you seasoned divers, What effect do these Florida hurricanes have on visibility in places like Key West dive locations?

I have a planned dive in Key Largo this coming weekend (9/10 - 9/13). It looks like Ivan will keep me in Baltimore.:(

Roy

Roy-

You're not going to miss anything, and the water will probably be rough. (IMHO) Most of Key West diving isn't all that great anyway unless you can really get off the beaten path.

We actually HAD a weekend dive trip planned, backed up with a Sovereign cruise on Monday, and our decision was to cancel all diving for both the weekend and cruise.

Hurricanes Charley and Frances did a number on our state, and trying to get there just wasn't worth it. With Ivan following, the water would have been rough anyway.

At least we still have the cruise, and can sit in the Schooner Bar and swap diving stories.

Go diving next time - if you are going to dive the keys, try Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. The corals there are outstanding.

Great diving to everyone!

Wendy

Roy-

Go diving next time - if you are going to dive the keys, try Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. The corals there are outstanding.

Wendy,

I have one day in Key West. Can I get to Looe Key easily from Key West? Are there snorkeling boat going out there?

simonv-

Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary is located a bit north of Key West, and there are quite a few operators that use the park.

About 8-9 years ago, we stayed at the Looe Key Reef Resort at Ramrod Key (MM27.5) and had both divers and snorkelers on their catamaran, Kokomo Cat. http://www.diveflakeys.com/

The following link will take you to some good information on the Florida Sanctary system. http://www.fknms.nos.noaa.gov/visitor_information/welcome.html

There are many sites on diving and snorkeling in the Lower Keys, but this should give you a start.

Happy snorkeling!

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

This is the best place to snorkel in the Keys! We usually go down once a year and stay on Little Torch Key, 5 minutes from the shop. Key West is about 1/2 hour drive depending on the traffic and, of course, there is only one road. You need to arrive at about 9:00-9:30am so you can get your gear and get signed in and pay, etc., then off you go on the Kokomo Cat, a great boat- so easy to get off and on even for forty and fifty somethings. It takes about 35 minutes to get out to the reef which is 7 miles south of the keys. The boat stops for an hour and you get to snorkel & dive and then moves to another spot on the reef where you stop for about an hour and snorkel & dive then move on to one more spot for another hour. You are usually back to the shop by 3:00 so depending on your transportation from Key West and the time your ship leaves, you may be able to make it. The water is crystal clear. You see all kinds of sea life. I "only" snorkel and I have beautiful pictures of spotted eagle rays, queen angel fish, sharks, etc. My husband has seen a sea turtle and a manta ray. I have lots of shark pictures-nurse sharks, reef sharks and even one of an eel. It is an amazing spot and Looe Key Dive center gives the most diving for your money of any place in the lower keys! I have snorkeled all throughout the keys. Looe Key Marine Sanctuary has the best visibility and most diverse sea life of any place.

Good snorkeling!

Cynthia

12/22/04 Rotterdam - Holiday and Panama Canal

Archived