Hanauma Bay or Kahaluu Beach Park?

cruisin'sz

If I only choose to snorkle at one of these beaches, which should I choose? We are not heavy duty snorkelers, but the idea of swimming in a "fish tank" though sounds somewhat intriguing. Also, how dangerous is the coral issue - is it easy to stay away from it and not get cut, if you don't swim that much..

I was at both places just a few weeks ago. Kahaluu was better for snorkeling and I saw a lot more fishes when I was there then at Hanauma Bay.

However you are not supposed to stand on corals. It destroys them. So in that case Hanauma Bay might be a better place for you as the beach is a lot bigger and offers more swimming/standing area.

If you go to Kahaluu, there's a free shuttle that drives you from the Kailua/Kona tender pier to the Keauhou Resort which is right on Kahaluu.

Hanauma Bay charges $5 per person.

I've never heard of Kahaluu Beach Park. Did you mean Kailua Beach Park?

If so, snorkeling will be best at Hanauma Bay. As previously stated, you'll do better with water socks or something. The bottom is rocky. Also as previously advised-do not touch the coral. In fact, before you're allowed to enter you'll have to watch a brief video about protecting the marine life.

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy the snorkeling experience at Hanauma Bay. There are lots of rocks, and the marine life (fish) are plentiful and like to brush up against your body. It really isn't a place to swim or play in the water.

On the other hand, we went to Kailua beach every single day. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and we just couldn't get enough of it. We would stay in the water for hours. It was so lovely.

BTW-are we all talking about the island of Oahu here?

I've never heard of Kahaluu Beach Park. Did you mean Kailua Beach Park?

If so, snorkeling will be best at Hanauma Bay. As previously stated, you'll do better with water socks or something. The bottom is rocky. Also as previously advised-do not touch the coral. In fact, before you're allowed to enter you'll have to watch a brief video about protecting the marine life.

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy the snorkeling experience at Hanauma Bay. There are lots of rocks, and the marine life (fish) are plentiful and like to brush up against your body. It really isn't a place to swim or play in the water.

On the other hand, we went to Kailua beach every single day. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and we just couldn't get enough of it. We would stay in the water for hours. It was so lovely.

BTW-are we all talking about the island of Oahu here?

No. These are two different places on two different islands.

While we agree with you and absolutely love Kailua beach on east Oahu, it's not a place for snorkeling. It is a great swimming beach and wonderful for windsurfers (outside of the protected/marked swimming areas). I know exactly what you mean about basically having to drag yourselves out of the water at Kailua. One year, we stayed for a week at a home B&B in Kailua about 2 blocks from the beach. My poor DH had to practically force me out of the water in order to get to HNL to fly to Maui.

Kahalu'u beach is on the BI at the south end of Ali'i Dr. in Kona. It's about 5 miles from the tender pier. It's got good snorkeling, especially for kids and newbie snorkelers because there are some shallow areas, sea turtles live there, and it's quite protected. However, as everyone mentions, it's very rocky, so reef sandals or swim shoes are a must.

Kahalu'u would be our choice over Hanauma, but there's nothing wrong with Hanauma if you go really early and if it fits the schedule best.

beachchick

Archived