back pocket line

jks9103

Am I the only one with this problem? I'll find a pair of pants or capris that fit great but the back pockets are outlined on my butt :eek:, like pantylines but from the pockets. This is mostly visible on khakis or light colored pants and it's not easy to find pants without back pockets. I've thought about cutting out the pockets but affraid I'll ruin it. Any suggestions?

When you have 2 layers of fabric (pockets) in a light color, the appearance of the fabric changes. The fabric now seems to be heavier so from the outside looks different, i.e. the shape of the pocket now shows. This is something that happens with light fabric and unless the item is lined, there's not anything you can do. Now, if you're getting a line like panty lines, it may be that the pants are a bit snug.

Unless you know something about sewing, cutting them out will give you a new set of problems. Pockets would need to be sewn shut, invisibly the best way, and now you have raw edges on the inside that need to be overcast.

I have summer pants in white and other light colors that you can see the shape of the pockets but personally, it doesn't bother me. I just figure that's the nature of summer weight material.:)

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this pet peeve. I refuse to by white pants or capri's with pockets on the side. It looks like 2 long patches of white hanging down the side of your leg. Most sales people look at me like I'm nuts when I point this out. Don't have the problem with pockets on the back cause with my butt I refuse to call more attention to it with pockets let alone big ol' outlined ones:D . Why don't the people that make these things notice it? I've tried on some quite high end pieces with this problem, not always the less expensive stuff. :cool:

If you love the pants, take them to a seamstress and they will take the pockets out for a pretty reasonable price. If you sew yourself, it's pretty easy, depending on the style of the back pocket. Just stitch it shut, cut off the pocket fabric, and overcast & trim that fabric so it doesn't go past the seam allowance.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this pet peeve. I refuse to by white pants or capri's with pockets on the side. It looks like 2 long patches of white hanging down the side of your leg. Most sales people look at me like I'm nuts when I point this out.

You certainly aren't alone. There have been many threads on this in the past. Personally. I won't buy pants that are of such fabric that they show the pockets. :cool:

Archived