booking your own air hotel on river cruise

nbevins

We have done 1 river cruise and many ocean cruises(where we feel comfortable booking our own air and hotel).On the 1 river cruise we did we took the whole package,Is it possible and easy to book your own air/hotel.I guesss what concerns me is locating the boat on the river once we have arrived in the port city

We always book our own air and hotel. On the two river cruises we have taken, it has been no problem locating/getting to the ships. Both lines we cruised with gave the information of the docking location and the cell number of the cruise director so it can be verified on the sailing day since it can change. Then you just take a cab. No worries.

Hi, we have never done a river cruise but will be taking one in Sept., 08. Like you we have done several ocean cruises and have always done our air, hotels and most of our excursions oursevles. I plan on doing the same for the river cruise. I honestly don't think finding the boat will be a problem but if that is a concern you might book just the transfers through the river cruise line. I would assume that most lines will let you do that without taking the whole pkg. Just my thoughts; hope they help.

In the 2 ports that I was in, Amsterdam and Vienna, it was very easy to find the cruise ships. All the cab drivers that we had seemed to know exactly where to go. On your documents will be the exact spot they leave from. There is also a phone number for the ship incase you go astray.

wE HAVE ALWAYS BOOKED OUR OWN AIR AND HOTEL. wE CAN GET A MUCH BETTER PRICE ON THE HOTEL AND USUALLY THE AIR IS SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER. IF IT IS NOT CHEAPER WE CAN AT LEAST CHOOSE OUR OWN ROUTE AND NOT BE ROUTED ALL OVER THE WORLD BEFORE WE GET TO OUR FINAL DESTINATION. oNE THING TO CONSIDER THOUGH IS THAT MANY TIMES FLIGHTS ARE DELAYED OR CONCELLED SO BOOK YOUR FLIGHT AT LEAST THE DAY BEFORE YOUR CRUISE LEAVES.

wE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM FINDING THE DOCK. AS ANOTHER POSTER STATED THE CAB DRIVERS KNOW RIGHT WERE IT IS. GUESS THEY HAVE DEALT WITH THAT FOR YEARS.

MICKED10

wE HAVE ALWAYS BOOKED OUR OWN AIR AND HOTEL. wE CAN GET A MUCH BETTER PRICE ON THE HOTEL AND USUALLY THE AIR IS SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER. IF IT IS NOT CHEAPER WE CAN AT LEAST CHOOSE OUR OWN ROUTE AND NOT BE ROUTED ALL OVER THE WORLD BEFORE WE GET TO OUR FINAL DESTINATION. oNE THING TO CONSIDER THOUGH IS THAT MANY TIMES FLIGHTS ARE DELAYED OR CONCELLED SO BOOK YOUR FLIGHT AT LEAST THE DAY BEFORE YOUR CRUISE LEAVES.

wE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM FINDING THE DOCK. AS ANOTHER POSTER STATED THE CAB DRIVERS KNOW RIGHT WERE IT IS. GUESS THEY HAVE DEALT WITH THAT FOR YEARS.

MICKED10

I agree,we also always book our own air and hotel for the same reasons. The pre cruise hotel we stayed at in Budapest,which we booked on our own, was 1 block from the river and we could see our ship from there!We were actually able to go aboard the night before on the invitation of some people we met who were just finishing their cruise.The day we were to depart we had a choice of walking directly to the ship or walking the other way about 3 blocks to the meeting place hotel.As we had to check out at 11:00 Am we walked to the Cafe Gerbaud which was the meeting place. We left our luggage there and then walked to the Chain Bridge. When it was time to go to the ship we walked back to the Cafe Gerbaud and took the bus to the ship along with everyone else.

We saved $900.00 on our air and $300.00 over the Avalon hotel by making our own arrangements.We were on the same flight from Chicago to Frankfort and Frankfort to Budapest as our friends who paid the $900.00 more for the cruise company air !!!! I also like to go at least 1 or 2 days early to get over the jet lag and not stress if flights are delayed.

• 2 weeks later...

With some of the River Cruise Companies the Air price is included in the package. If you want to book your own air they take a minimal amount off the price and in those cases it would not be cheaper to book your own Air.

Mike:)

Archived