Travel insurance-have you had to file a claim?

3redheads

I just read another post in which someone asked about a particular travel insurance company. It was very informative to find out how certain companies pay out in the event of a claim.

If you've had to file a claim:

-which company

-good or bad experience

-what did they cover

-what didn't they cover

I think this will be helpful to all who are planning on purchasing insurance.

Thanks in advance!

I just read another post in which someone asked about a particular travel insurance company. It was very informative to find out how certain companies pay out in the event of a claim.

If you've had to file a claim:

-which company

-good or bad experience

-what did they cover

-what didn't they cover

I think this will be helpful to all who are planning on purchasing insurance.

Thanks in advance!

All insurance companies will pay for a covered claim. Some may be more willing than others. Make sure you have documentation for all your claims

and be prepared to wait for payment. Remember, an insurance company is a business; they make money by collecting premiums, not paying benefits.

I never regret the insurance policies I have and pay for now; I am also realistic to understand if I file a claim, I may not get paid so fast. Of course, some companies may pay faster than others.

Yes, we filed a claim once. We got "stuck" on Mariner an extra two days because of a hurricane at the port. We used insuremytripdotcom to purchase it, it was CSA insurance. They were a pleasure to deal with. They covered ALL onboard expenses for the extra two days, plus a nonrefundable hotel stay post cruise that we "lost". They covered friends cell phone bills to call from sea to make arrangements to change their airfare, etc... They even covered extra tips for those 2 days.

2 extra days on a cruise, fully covered by insurance. I'll take that! For some people, it was a serious pain in the rear. College students were freaking out about missing classes, teachers were onboard who didn't have coverage for their classrooms, everyones airfare was a mess, etc...

We purchased Travel Guard for our trip on the Mariner. We had the $ 1 coverage (cost was $354 total for the 3 of us). My hubby was sea sick and had to go to the ship doctor. We were reimbursed for the total cost of the doctor and the medication ($109.00 in total).

I emailed all of our documentation and had our check within 7 days!!

I think we lucked out in getting the check that quick. Travel Guard is very clear that you should not start to check on progress until after 1 month.

Very positive experience for us. Just make sure that you keep copies of all documentation. We needed to provide a copy of the bill from the doctor (so make sure you get it before you leave the doctor's office), proof of payment of those charges, and proof of final payment to the cruise line.

Hope this helps.

Cathy

We had to file a calim after we were delayed in getting home in 2005 from Hurricane Dennis. I'm not sure of the company we used, but we had no trouble.

We were reimbursed for everything relating to our delay except for the extra day our dog had to stay in the kennel.

We're in the process right now filing with RC ins Berkely Care.

DH had to visit the ships Dr while on-board. I filed with our own ins BCBS and they denied the claim because it was out of network. RC is not a preferred provider. So we should get a full refund from Berkely Care.

NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT INSURANCE EVEN IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN MEDICAL INSURANCE.....IT MAY NOT BE COVERED UNDER YOUR PLAN.

wE never had bought travel insurance till back in I think it was 2003. The first time we ever bought it we needed it.

It was a Carnival Cruise and the insurance was thru the cruise line.

I was not fully inpressed -- but we have never sailed without it since then.

We had also purchased air through the cruise line, yet when we came back from the cruise, we had no way home. I had a paper ticket for the airplane, howere there was no airplane it was cancelled in December and this was February. What a mess. The insurance paid for our hotel, dinner, breakfast. They would not pay us for all the other expenses, because of their mess up. We did get a nice discount from Carnival which we have used. That was our last Carnival cruise.

BUT I DON'T TRAVEL WITHOUT INSURANCE EITHER!

I agree, TA never should have charged it. TA's might quite a chunk of change off insurance, in some cases, more than their commission on the cruise. I'd at least let her know how unhappy I am.

OK how did this happen, I responded to another thread and it showed up here. I'm sure that post made absolutely no sense, sorry! LOL!!

I got serious cut on a shell or something in the water and had to go to the Dr on board. It was 250$ and antibiotics. I use STATRAVEL. Filed with them and had a check in my hands in 2 weeks.

glad to hear that since we will be using them for the first time in January. (not glad that you got a serious cut:o just glad you were reimbursed so quickly:p)

Archived