gtaylor--maps?

Joby

Thank you Gary,

I will be sure to recycle this map, and any others I pick up, after my Cruise in early October. Its a great idea!

thanks again, Ricknlynn

Great idea Rick!

As I mentioned, the maps are available for free all over the place.

Yours will go out today.

Hi gtaylor, any opinions/suggestions for our day in St. Martin yet? Looking for the best and most efficient way to spend our limited time on the island touring, shopping and beaching. Thanks.

Joby;

Soon come.

I'll probably post later today.

1. We want to tour the island,

Trust Joyce, she will give you a great tour of St. Maarten – rest easy on that one.

That said, some possible specific sights:

A quick drive up above Point Blanche to get a picture looking down on your ship and GreatBay.

A drive over the crest of the hill to view Dawn Beach

The Boundary Monuments

Paradise View On Hope Hill High above Orient

Drive through Grand Case, restaurant capitol of the Caribbean

Minguet Gallery for local art

MahoBeachplanes and Sunset Beach Bar

Cole Bay Hill overlook, both Simpson Bay and Saba

A drive into Snoopy Island/New Yacht Club to view the mega-yachts?

2. shop for an hour or so on each side,

MUST Visit Rima’s on PondFill for island shirts, dresses, swim cover-ups, etc. inexpensive jewelry ‘trinkets’, unique creations for earrings and necklaces and island souvenirs (this is where the vendors on the beach buy).

Shopping on the Dutch side is best on Front Street, but it is in quite a state of disarray until at least December 15th. If you can navigate it, hit Little Switzerland and check the clearance table in the back. If interested in art, check out the Greenwith Gallery. Mr. Tablecloth has great values on tablecloths, runners, etc. We buy SOMETHING every year. Several Perfume shops along Front Street. You may want to do this on your own at the end of Joyce’s ‘tour’.

Marigot “farmers market " is best on Wed and Sat, but many shops are open every day. It’s fun to walk through. We’ve bought some nice watercolor prints (3 for $30 – cash only ) already framed. Also spices, hot sauce, etc. Great fresh fish and lobster, but you’re probably not interested in that. Little Switzerland in Marigot – go in the back, same as P’Burg. West Indies Mall is here for very upscale shopping and bathrooms.

Minguet Gallery; Local Artist, some affordable prints and posters.

3. go to a great beach (I want to snorkel/swim, sister wants to sunbathe, Mom just wants to relax, "nib" and stay out of the sun but still enjoy the beach scene.

We’re thinking GreatBay, Orient or Divi.

Orient would be our first pick. At Club Orient Resort they reportedly have beach wheelchairs, but mainly for guests. Pedro’s is probably the easiest place to reach. Shaded, ‘nibs’ and drinks. Great sunbathing both sides, clothing optional to the right. Sometimes decent snorkeling also to the right over three reefs that angle out to the right at a 45 degree angle from approximately the rocks separating Pedro’s from Club Orient. But there are tourists! “Mom” can stay at Pedro’s and “nib” and enjoy the ocean and beach views.. Easy wheelchair access to Pedro’s.

Maybe Divi Little Bay. Their beach seems reasonably accessible. They’ve got bars/restaurants and you can get chairs and umbrella. Here snorkeling is off to the left.

FortAmsterdam is above. Good view of GreatBay behind you.

Great Bay Beach –the new Boardwalk should offer some great walking/wheelchair viewing vistas. But this would probably be our last choice of an easy access beach.

We are looking for some nontouristy places.

St. Maarten IS a touristy place. The hordes will depend on how many ships are in.

Rima’s (above).

Tee-Shirts; P’Burg, depending on quality 3 for 10 or $15 each on Frontstreet and the open stalls behind the courthouse.

Minguet Gallery and Greenwith are non-touristy.

Few people actually visit the fort above Marigot, although it is quite a climb (not for mom) it has a great view. The same for FortAmsterdam, past Divi Little Bay, with a good view of GreatBay and your ship, across the bay.

Open to suggestions, opinions? Thanks!

Relax.

Enjoy.

Don’t try to see/do EVERYTHING.

We think that you’ll enjoy your one-day visit to St. Maarten enough to return for a week next time.

When we travel, we always pop into a local supermarket to see what they offer and buy some hot sauce.

If you have a chance, please try to visit our jeweler friends at Trident and Shiva’s @ 70 and 75 Front Street. They have everything from $5 charms to $250,000 necklaces.

I will be printing out your hints. They have been so helpful. One question though if at the end of Joyce's tour she will bring us back to the ship, will it be easy to get to the places you have suggested for shopping , could we walk or should we have her drop us off at the shopping area?

What about the Butterfly farm, yes or no?

Thanks for all your help!

Pam

gtaylor. above and beyond the call of duty!!! PERFECTO!!!

Joyce has been a gem to email with. She will give us a great tour I'm sure. We want to use our little time as efficiently as possible to cover what we want. I think Rima's sounds like a winner and Trident/Shiva's.

Orient may be the best overall choice for Mom and sister, I will take my chances on the snorkeling. Had to giggle at your idea of "nib"! Our idea of "nib" is to gawk around--as in my Mom is a "nibby" person who loves to see what's going on around her.

Have a couple more questions--would you be able to suggest 1 or 2 perfume stores (don't want to look in lots of stores, just a couple of unique reasonably priced stores)?

As luck would have it, we should be in St. Martin on a Wednesday (if the Caribbean is still there after all of the awful weather). I would love to get a watercolor from a local artist inexpensively!! I have one from Paris that I got for $25 from the artist who was selling on a bridge. I treasure it. The Farmer's Market sounds right up my alley.

We always shop in grocery stores. They are a really fun place to shop. Do you have 1 that you suggest?

To sum this up--would it be reasonable to think we could (with Mom in mind)do this in port from 8 AM-3:30 PM (we have Joyce from 9-2):

1. tour island

2. Orient beach (bringing lunch from ship in cooler)

3. shop at Rima's, Farmer's market, Shiva's, perfume shop, and grocery stop

4. have the time of our life with Mom without exhaustion?

I truely appreciate the time and effort you have spent answering my questions and assisting us. Thanks.

I will be printing out your hints. They have been so helpful. One question though if at the end of Joyce's tour she will bring us back to the ship, will it be easy to get to the places you have suggested for shopping , could we walk or should we have her drop us off at the shopping area?

What about the Butterfly farm, yes or no?

Thanks for all your help!

Pam

I'd ask Joyce to make a quick stop at Rima's at either the beginning or end of your tour (I wouldn't consider it comfortable walking distance) and then have her drop you on Front Street for shopping. Then it's a short taxi or watertaxi back to the ship. FYI: Many people walk it both ways.

Butterfly Farm: We've never been, but I have heard only good things about it. If you're into that sort of thing and have the TIME, give it a go. Please report when you get back!

I'd say there will be plenty of both kinds of 'nibs' at Pedro's / Orient. FYI (or for mom's I) people walking the beach leaving Club Orient will typically put on bottoms as they approach the rocks at Pedro's.

Perfume: Try Lipstick in the Polo Ralph Loren building on Front Street. To the right facing the Court House.

Our artpieces from the Marigot Market are signed prints. You might enjoy the work of local artist Antoine Chapon. His studio is in Cul de Sac, between Orient and Grand Case. It's at about #51 on the map. I've already recommended Minguet.

Grocery Store: I'll suggest Sang's Supermarket because of the location, across from Bobby's Marina (a water taxi stop) or a short walk from Front Street shopping or back to the cruise pier. On your map it would be right across Yrausquin Blvd from the AT&T logo in E-8 on the P'Burg map section.

If you make it to Trident/Shiva's, please ask to speak to one of the Owners' Family. See if Jay or Varkha are available. Or maybe Raj.

My wife says to visit Linen Galore in addition to Mr. Tablecloth.

Joyce will help with scheduling the route, sequence of events, etc.

I believe that she can easily handle dropping you at the beach or for shopping with a scheduled pickup time.

I think that you're good-to-go!

gtaylor, You are a wealth of insider info! I think your suggestions will help us cut to the chase, get where we want to go and be able to accomplish it sanely in the given time frame. Now, let's hope the weather settles down. Thanks again.

• 7 years later...

My e-mail address is is my Profile for this board.

This thread is from 2004, but I do have some much more recent maps, so send me your 'snailmailing' address and I'll get one out to you.

I'm traveling for The Fourth, so it will be next week before it goes out.

gary

Hi there, assuming that you are the person in North Carolina that requested a map in my e-mail. I'll get it out early next week.

I've also received three other requests, which is fine, but I would prefer that these requests are from Cruise Critic, so please include your CC user-id in the e-mail request.

As I mentioned, the thread you linked to was from 2004, and a link in one of those old posts now indicates a map other than what I have.

The current looks very much like this one:

th_sxmmap.jpg

(click)

Which is about 25" x 20", and those I have on-hand are dated 2011.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

are these maps for use in renting a car? If so I would appreciate one. Also any advice you would have on other forms of transportation.

After stopping in St Maarten while on our first cruise, we have decided we are going to do a land vacation there in November. The island is just beautiful and can't wait to spend the whole week there.

We are debating between Alamanda resort at Orient and the Grand Case Beach club. Would like to spend time in both areas.

Any other suggestions on public travel between these two places if we decide not to rent a car. Would rather not have to drive if we want to have drinks with dinner each night.

thanks

Yes, these maps would help if you rent a car, but also as just a general planning map.

I believe they were originally published exclusively for Hertz car rentals back in 2004 or so. The maps I have access to now are dated 2011.

Send me an e-mail (in my profile) with your snail-mail physical address and I'll get one out to you.

I answered your transportation questions in the other thread.

gary

Gary,

Just wanted to thank you for the map. Received it in today's mail.

Now I just need to get things planned. We are hoping for the first week of November, just hoping somewhere will run a package on sale for flights and a hotel stay at Alamanda.

Archived