Leaving In Four Days To Alaska..........

cmyers

We are leaving in Four days for our Zaandam cruise to Alaska? Anyone have any last minute advise? Are we forgetting anything? Is it really, really, cold this time of year. I have heard that alot of vendors are packing up early this year - is this true? We will be going to Juneau, Skagway, and Ketichikan and into glacier bay. Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated - this is our first time.

We just got back yesterday from an Alaskan Cruise on the Star. The weather was in the 60's and 70's every day except the day we were in Glacier Bay. Then it rained and was in the 40's - that's the only day I wore a fleece jacket and was glad I had brought a rain suit - jacket and pants - I was able to be up on deck or on our balcony and stay dry while not missing a thing. Otherwise, I did need a sweatshirt or light jacket in the mornings or evenings, but the middle of the day, usually short sleeves. So as has been said many times before, dressing in layers is the key.

We saw no vendors ready to pack up - there were quite a few sales, especially in Juneau. We got some Ulu knives with the bowl/chopping board for 50% off. A couple of shopkeepers we talked to said they would be open for a couple of more weeks until the cruise ships stopped coming.

We too did the horseback ride in Skagway - very enjoyable. The park rangers also give a free walking tour of the town that lasts about an hour and talk about a lot of the history - worthwhile.

We took a floatplane trip in Ketchikan with Island Wings to the Misty Fjords - well-worth it! I would recommend a floatplane or helicopter tour in at leat one of the ports - gives you a whole different perspective.

What did you think of the Floatplane trip with Michelle of Island Wings? We are taking her flight next Tuesday. There was one report of a cancelled trip due to a mechanical issue with her plane. I hope everything is in order and the weather co-operates.

So far for us, it looks like rain everyday, but I have planned on that because it is Alaska.

Flagger,

We loved the floatplane trip. Michelle is great - very experienced pilot with lots of information to tell you along the way. I believe their safety record is excellent. I didn't hear of any mechanical issues - our flight did get delayed an hour because of poor visibility in the morning, but it was much better when we did go up. You just get a whole different perspective up there. The take offs and landings were very smooth - most times we didn't even know we had hit the water. She also lands on a lake and lets people out on land to marvel over the scenery and take pictures.

As for the weather, before we left I looked on the internet and we were supposed to have rain every day. In fact, we had rain really only one and half days. And it was fairly light so didn't prohibit us from doing anything.

Due to mechanical difficulties. Fortunatley, it was a very minor problem, I want to say spark plugs, but I have very limited knowledge in the field of......anything with an engine. Unfortunately, even though it was minor, it grounded her for that day only.

Are we forgetting anything?

Cmeyers..... One thing I forgot was the charger to my digital camera. Fortunately, the folks in the cabin next door purchased a digital in a port which was the exact charger I needed.

Bring a hat and gloves....you'll need it at some point in your adventure. ;)

Bring an almost empty suitcase.....you'll want to bring back a lot of things.

Oh yes, one last thing. You have packed way too many clothes. Take out a few things...like some of those t-shirts & sweatshirts. The ship and the ports will sell great t-shirts & sweatshirts. Buy them as souvenirs....and wear them on your trip!

Bon Voyage!!!!!

ps. Remember, no film in your checked luggage. And....they (airport & ship) will hand inspect your film vs. sending it through the xray machine.

Leaving tomorrow - I'm sooooo excited. Kinda had to go back through the suitcase and leave some stuff home. My girlfriend is in Vancouver and said the weather is unbelievable warm and humid. I'll buy the new sweat shirts as sugessted if needed. I do have the ear muffs, gloves and jkt for glacier bay.

Thanks for all your help.

Archived