guacamole dip

loonlagoon

Make sure you use ripe (soft) avocados. Cut them in half and pull the big seed thing out, and throw them in bowl.Then mash them up. I use a potato masher. You can stop right here and it will be good (I love avocados). But I would add some lemon or lime juice, maybe a dash or two of Texas Pete or Tabasco. If you like, sprinkle some chopped tomatoes and/or shredded cheddar cheese. Serves four to six or my wife and I.

ENJOY!

David

You know what else is good? Cut them in half and replace the seed with shrimp salad! Good...and good for you! LOL

I cruised the Diamond Princess this last August. Fell in love with the Guacamole Dip. Now I would like to have the recipe. Anyone have it???

I want to enjoy this until I can cruise again.

-

I like to experiment with receipes. I mash avacodos, chop up some onion, tomatoes, a little salt, tabasco , and sometimes I add a little garlic powder. If you make it ahead of time, put the pits back it, it seem to keep the dip from discoloring. I never make it the same twice. I just taste and add til I get the right taste.

Dick

• 3 weeks later...

about the seed?

I read that it has no effect on the discoloration that happens to avocado... which is just oxidation to the air (like apples or potatos) BUT you can either cover the surface with finely chopped tomato with some lemon juice, and it will not turn dark, or cover with plastic wrap, laying the wrap right onto the guacamole (touching) and gently smoothing out any air bubbles, and that will protect it too.

I like minced shallots, a little pressed garlic, lemon juice, chopped cilantro and chopped tomato. For an extra twist a finly crumbled slice of bacon in it is amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

WHOA Donna!!!!!

Please Don't Slam California. Haas is just one type of "green gold". We grow alot in my area (Avocado Capital of the World) here in California. I have won guacamole contests and as much as I enjoy those Haases, I mix alittle Reed Avos to change the texture and flavor, also I sub alittle Indonesian Sambal for the chili pod to deepen the flavor without "heating" it up. I never put in sour cream. I love to add aliittle roma and sundried tomato in my guac. Fresh Limes is a must. Take care....Chef Dennis

Make sure you buy the Haas avacodos - the small blackish ones. Much better than the california version.

Hass (correct spelling although often misspelled haas) comprise 80% of California's avocado crop.

California Avocado Commision - Haas Avocados

I think you may be mistaking the Florida Avocado which is larger and greener for the "California version." :cool:

Archived