Port Canaveral closed

yarlenna

I just learned, on the local news, that Port Canaveral is closed until further notice. They said that cruise ship passengers need to contact their agents or their cruise lines to learn what new arrangements are being made.

UPDATE ON PORT CANAVERAL OPERATIONS STATUS

September 6, 2004
The waters of Port Canaveral will not be re-opened for any vessels until at least Wednesday, September 8. This applies to all types of vessels, including recreational as well as cargo and cruise. The U.S. Coast Guard must first do a full inspection of the harbor and approaches to determine if there are any submerged or other hazards in the water and to determine what emergency dredging may be necessary.

Canaveral Port Authority employees of the Operations Department will need to report for work on Tuesday, September 7. Power has not been fully restored to the Port and it is voluntary for administrative employees to report on Tuesday. The Canaveral Port Authority administrative offices are expected to be fully open at 8 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 8.

Jacquelyn :D

I know RCI has their Pt. Canaveral ships in other ports but Carnival's latest update from this afternoon still has the Glory and the Fantasy returning to and leaving from Pt. Canaveral tomorrow. RCI's latest update has the Mariner arriving/Leaving from Miami tomorrow (Tuesday) and returning to Miami on Sept 12. We are on the Sept 12 Mariner and are driving. If we leave from Miami on the 12th, where do we come back to? If it's Pt. Canaveral, how do we get back to Miami? Or do you think it's possible that the Mariner will disembark folks in Miami on the 12th then come up to Pt. Canaveral and sail from there?

Aqusis

There is a new update on the RCI website.

REVISED: Mariner of the Seas will arrive at the Port of Miami Tuesday morning, September 7. Guests will be assisted with travel arrangements to return home.

REVISED: Mariner of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Port Canaveral yesterday, on a seven-night sailing, will now make that sailing from the Port of Miami. The ship will delay its departure from the Port of Miami until 10 p.m., local time, Tuesday. The ship will sail a modified itinerary that will return to the Port of Miami on the morning of September 12. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $500 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a full refund. Guests who purchased their air transportation through Royal Caribbean should contact the company to have their flights rescheduled. Guests who purchased their own air transportation should contact their airline to reschedule their flights. Travel agent commissions will be protected.

Since the post from Port Canaveral says it will try to take ships after 9/8, it could be either. I'd call RCI or your TA to get some answers.

Good luck to all the Mariner Passengers! :)

[quote name='aqusis']I know RCI has their Pt. Canaveral ships in other ports but Carnival's latest update from this afternoon still has the Glory and the Fantasy returning to and leaving from Pt. Canaveral tomorrow. RCI's latest update has the Mariner arriving/Leaving from Miami tomorrow (Tuesday) and returning to Miami on Sept 12. We are on the Sept 12 Mariner and are driving. If we leave from Miami on the 12th, where do we come back to? If it's Pt. Canaveral, how do we get back to Miami? Or do you think it's possible that the Mariner will disembark folks in Miami on the 12th then come up to Pt. Canaveral and sail from there?[/QUOTE]

AQUSIS: We're on the Mariner on the 12th, also. I called the RCI customer service number to find out what their current best guess is on where we might look for the ship and when. A very pleasant representative checked for the latest info and said HE BELIEVED that the Mariner would let the current passengers off in Miami and then proceed to Canaveral to collect passengers for our sailing. He advised me to check back Wednesday or later.
We're driving down from Georgia, ourselves, so I sure hope things work out like he thinks. I'm doing what I can to help: in addition to my prayers for all the folks so besieged by these storms, I've sent up a few small selfish ones that Ivan will just not be a problem for ANYONE. See you somewhere next week!

I am on the Fantasy now and we are going into Miami tomorrow morning along with the Glory and Mariner. Passengers on our ship will be bussed back to Orlando International or Pt Canaveral to get their cars.

The Coast Guard has to check to see if the channel markers were blown out of place plus they believe that there may have been a silt shift so they have to check the depth of the channel.

We have no word on the condition of our vehicles but Carnival did say that their terminal came through fine so that may be good news. '

It is going to be a long day tomorrow.:)

I hope all those beautiful trees you have in Roswell are still in place when you get back! Glen Burns from Channel 2 news has the same worry I do...Drought weaken trees + 4-8 inches of Rain + 30-40MPH sustained winds = lots of trees down!

It has been very windy today but no rain...YET!

Best of luck in getting yourself safe back to Roswell. Hope to meet you at the Atlanta CC meet later this month!

Archived