Warning of "O"s reservations

MerchyBum56

:mad: Four days before departure on INSIGNIA, while reviewing my Air arrangements I discovered that the Seat assignments that I had for my flight from Rio to Orlando were gone! I did a deviation over 6 months ago and had seat assignments, but I did send in one change to "O" to correct the spelling of my name to match my passport. When making the correction they deleted my original reservation and made a new one which wiped out my seat assignment, and made no new assignment.

I called the airline, and only one pair of seats were available in the very rear of the plane. A change from seats 19 to seats 40 from Rio to Houston and on to Orlando from seats 6 to 26. My TA's dialog with "O" resulted in only a "nothing we can do now".

Please be aware of this, as I discovered it, at least wife and I can sit together, otherwise we would have each had a separate middle seat.

Airlines are very restrictive about name changes on reservations, so it's quite likely that the airline forced Oceania to cancel your original reservation and book you a new one to correct the misspelling (and your TA should've seen this coming if you talked to him/her about the change). If you've ever bought airline tickets online, you've probably seen a warning to double check the passenger name(s) before clicking to actually buy the ticket. Here's a link about airlines and name changes:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/travel/packages/changes/vacation-12.html

Be thankful Oceania was able to accommodate your name change - airlines are allowed to deny boarding if the name on the ticket doesn't match the name on your identification document(s), and that includes misspellings.

Moral: There's no such thing as a minor name change. If you don't get it right the first time, check very carefully after making a change. A good TA should know this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a unique situation. My surname has an apostrophe between the first and second letter. Our driver's licence, and credit card do not have it, whereas, our passports do have it. My (backward) state's computer cannot print the apostrophe. My airline reservations sometimes use the apostrophe and sometimes not. I guess I will have to drop it since it is not computer friendly.....

It is really TSA that is the stickler on names. One time coming back from St. Thomas, TSA questioned my wife about her name. The name on her airline ticket was Sue yet her passport said Susan. Gave her a hard time but did let her on the plane.

Ever since that trip I have made sure that all names match.

Archived