Question Norwegian Pearl Alaska

kyao888

Dear all, I'm new to the forum and I need some help. My wife made a reservation for 8/10/08 for Pearl to Alaska and booked in one of the inside staterooms. She said that you really don't spend too much time in your room so it makes no difference. What is everyone's opinion on this? I want to know that if I can surprise her with a Penthouse or a Romance Suite. What can I do to save the most money and upgrade to better rooms?

Any advice?

Thanks.

We are booked on the Pearl the week before you. My opinion is that inside cabins are the best deal, and we usually book them. Our next cruise in May and every previous cruise we have had an inside. Once we got a free upgrade to an outside, but it really did not seem worth extra money to me.

However, on the Alaska cruise, there will be a lot to see for most of the cruise. I expect we will be in sight of shore most of the trip. A balcony would be a very nice treat on this cruise, and we booked a mini-suite. Another reason in booking this was so it would adjoin to my parents AB suite, plus if we booked both together we got about a grand off the price of the mini suite.

to see anything on shore, you will need high power binoculars. you will see islands and shore, but at a distance. the views are great and balconies are nice...especially for the day of glacier viewing...but the excursions are very expensive. if it's a matter of getting good excursions or a balcony, take the excursions.

check out the alaska boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

many folks book insiders, saving the money for the better excursions...

there are no tricks to upgrades or upsells. if you want to upsell yourself to a better cabin, it's going to cost you. the free upgrades are very rare (never got one, myself)...don't depend on getting one. the alaska cruises sell out...very popular...not too many bargains on any of them.

if you really want to save money, check out the local tour vendors...book direct with them.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

It's a matter of personal opinion. We were in an inside on the Pearl last May to Alaska and thoroughly enjoyed our trip. A lot of posters say that they'd never cruise without a balcony though - especially to Alaska.

For my personal lifestyle, I prefer to book an inside and spend the additional money that a balcony would cost for excursions. Also, by cruising in an inside cabin, we're able to cruise more frequently. It's one area where I'm a firm believer in quantity over quality :D , but it's probably the minority opinion.

Hi ute fan, long time no "see." :) Ute fan makes a great point, but I have to go with the balcony. Alaska was our first (and only, so far) cruise, and I thought the balcony was a huge plus. Besides the beautiful scenery, we kept the balcony door propped open, so we got the fresh air and wonderful shooshing sound of the ocean. Maybe 'cause we live in Hawaii, but having everything closed tight is a bit too claustrophobic for us.

To the OP, your wife is correct in that you don't spend much time in your cabin, but we are at the age where after a long day of excursions, shopping, etc., coming back to our balcony room was therapeutic. For us, it was well worth the $$.

Aloha

Hi Aloha Gal! How's Hawaii??

We did have a balcony on the Sun 3 years ago in Alaska. I'm wondering if it was just the location that was an issue -- starboard side of ship, near the front -- because we found it WAY too windy to enjoy when the ship was in motion. One of these days, when I become wealthy (which probably means never :D ), I'd like to try a balcony again and see if our first one was just a bad experience.

If the OP does stay with an inside room, we really enjoyed spending time on the Promenade deck. I found the loungers there were much more comfortable than the chairs on the balconies, and the deck is wide enough that we didn't have the wind issues we'd previously encountered on our only balcony cruise.

It really does come down to your own preference. We enjoy spending time on the decks, mingling with the other passengers and enjoying the views from different areas around the ship. Lots of others prefer the solitude from your own balcony. It's one of those issues that doesn't have a right or wrong answer that applies to everyone.

Hey, ute fan, looks like just you and me:D . Hawaii is gorgeous - in the mid 80s and more of the same throughout the turkey day weekend.

Our balcony cabin was midship, port side, and no wind problem. You are right about us enjoying the solitude of our balcony. Something about mingling with the multitudes aboard the ship, we enjoy returning to our "sanctuary."

You and yours have a wonderful, safe Thanksgiving!

Aloha, Logan

Dear all, I'm new to the forum and I need some help. My wife made a reservation for 8/10/08 for Pearl to Alaska and booked in one of the inside staterooms. She said that you really don't spend too much time in your room so it makes no difference. What is everyone's opinion on this? I want to know that if I can surprise her with a Penthouse or a Romance Suite. What can I do to save the most money and upgrade to better rooms?

Any advice?

Thanks.

On an Alaska cruise, a balcony is wonderful. It is a great way to see the sights while enjoying a quiet area. When you are in Glacier Bay, it is great to be able to sit on your balcony instead of fighting the masses up on deck for a viewing spot. If you get cold, just slip back in your cabin a few minutes.

They will have a Park Ranger on Board while in Glacier Bay. They will be doing narration over the PA system. Many places on deck cannot hear this. Usually in Balcony cabins, the TV is right by the balcony door. Simply open your balcony door while you are on it and turn your TV on to the "Ship" channel, turn the volume up and you will hear the narration while you enjoy your own "private" viewing.

I don't know if you need to go to a Romance or Penthouse unless you want pampered, but I wouldn't do an Alasaka cruise without a balcony.

you forgot to say that anyone sitting on the balcony on the PORT side for glacier bay. the loud speakers could be heard on the balcony on the port side and on the TV. the starboard gets the views later, as the ship leaves..but no comments from the park rangers.

but if money is a issue, save it for excursions...get out of the port towns, away from the crowds and see what alaska has to offer.

view from the port side:

47.jpg.43fa562e289fc5f27ad8612118eaa7c7.jpg

We sailed on Star two years ago in Alaska with a balcony. We absolutely loved it. We had a mini-suite and we had 3 of them in a row. We had all the partitions opened, so it was like one huge balcony. When we got to Glacier Bay, we could be out on the balcony and hear what was going on.

We are sailing again on Pearl and have again booked the 3 mini-suites in a row. There is nothing like having a hot chocolate on your own balcony enjoying the scenery. I can hardly wait to go again.

We could spend more money and get a regular suite, but we use the difference for some excursions. Alaska isn't a cruise we will probably take again, so to us it's worth having the balcony. We can save on some excursions on other cruises.

Also, my husband is claustrophobic, so an inside room for a week would be too much for him to handle. We normally travel in a balcony cabin so he can go outside when he feels he has to. We do spend time in our cabin and on the balcony, so it's definitely worth it to us.

Enjoy Alaska.

They will have a Park Ranger on Board while in Glacier Bay. They will be doing narration over the PA system. Many places on deck cannot hear this. Usually in Balcony cabins, the TV is right by the balcony door. Simply open your balcony door while you are on it and turn your TV on to the "Ship" channel, turn the volume up and you will hear the narration while you enjoy your own "private" viewing.

Just a couple of quick "rebuttals" to the above comments. When we sailed on the Pearl, we spent the time in Glacier Bay on the promenade deck (deck 7). There weren't any masses on the deck -- I was very pleasantly surprised at how unbusy it was. We had no trouble at all getting a spot right by the railing to enjoy the scenery. Almost everyone else must have been on their balconies, up on the upper decks, or inside looking out, as we had very few people keeping us company on the deck. They also had the TV sound piped out onto deck 7. It wasn't terribly loud, but you could hear everything the ranger had to say.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, by the way. I'm just pointing out that it is possible to enjoy Alaska without a balcony. If your budget allows for a balcony or suite, by all means book one! If you're trying, like we were, to have money available for whale watching and train tours, I'm here to say that we had a great trip even without a balcony.

Not to dispute Ute Fan at all, as she has very valid points, but if you want a balcony and want to avoid the cold winds of Alaska, try to book an aft cabin. It's very easy to sit out on an aft balcony where you are protected from the wind and still enjoy many of the sights so prevalent throughout Alaska. We did so on the Star and had a great time!

You will enjoy Alaska no matter what you decide!

Have fun!

Just a couple of quick "rebuttals" to the above comments. When we sailed on the Pearl, we spent the time in Glacier Bay on the promenade deck (deck 7). There weren't any masses on the deck -- I was very pleasantly surprised at how unbusy it was. We had no trouble at all getting a spot right by the railing to enjoy the scenery. Almost everyone else must have been on their balconies, up on the upper decks, or inside looking out, as we had very few people keeping us company on the deck. They also had the TV sound piped out onto deck 7. It wasn't terribly loud, but you could hear everything the ranger had to say.

Just like you said, different stories and different experiences. On our cruise, my sister and brother in law were in an inside across from us. (and if you are claustrophobic....avoid those!) My sister in law came over and joined us on our balcony. Her husband....the avid photo bug, went up on deck to get pictures. Now I am the world's worst and cheapest photographer....I have a little 35mm film that auto focuses. My brother in law had all this fancy digital camera with lenses, etc.... he had terrbile luck with pictures up on deck due to the wind, getting knocked around by other passengers and trying to get shots. Not to brag...but he was a little depressed when more people asked "el cheapo" (me) for copies of my pictures than him....lol

But I do have to admit Ute Fan mentioned Deck 7, a more enclosed deck than the upper decks and also probably far less crowded, so if not a balcony, then I would choose Deck 7 over the upper decks for viewing.

We referred to deck 7 as "our balcony" :D . We did notice, when we tried to go up on the upper decks that it was very hard to get good pictures -- not only due to the people, but also due to the wind screens. The plastic wind screens let you see through OK, but are lousy for getting good photos.

It's funny, because I've always considered myself to be somewhat claustrophobic, and the inside cabins don't bother me at all. I enjoy the dark atmostphere for sleeping. We have friends who tried an outside view once and went back to insides, because he like to sleep in total darkness.

The other advantage to spending time on deck 7 is that you're closer to the water, and it's easier to get shots of anything that is at water level - like our friendly eagle floating on an iceburg in Glacier Bay.

2414429060060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

Another opinion. We have done two Alaska cruises.

The balcony does increase your viewing and fresh air options. You gain alot moving from inside to balcony. You do not gain that much more going to suite. They are nice, but that is alot more money, better spent on excursions, unless can afford both.

As to aft vs side cabins. We have done an aft cabin, and would not do again, especially in Alaska. You are watching where you have been, vs watching the scenery go by. This is a PERSONAL opinion and I know some people would even pay extra for aft cabins.

And, as mentioned above, make sure you visit the Alaska boards under ports of call. Really good stuff over there.

Thank you all for the comments. I think we will be fine in the inside room w/o the balcony. We are talking about taking a Carribean cruise before the Alaska and see if I even like the tiny room. If not then we can always upgrade it.

I cannot wait!!!!

Archived