Opinions - is Talkeetna-Fairbanks worth the trip?

cruznbelle

Sigh.... We just found out that DH can get an additional week off after our July 10th NB cruise to Alaska. So I have been feverishly trying to plan our post cruise itinerary.

What I was orginally thinking was 17th/18th in Talkeetna at McKinley Lodge. Drive to Fairbanks , stopping at Denali to drive to mile 15, spend 19th/20th in Fairbanks at River's Edge or Fairbanks Princess Lodge. Turn in rental in Fairbanks on the 21th, fly back to ANC. Spend 21st in ANC and fly home on the 22nd.

Unfortunately about all hotels/motels/cabins are booked in ANC (17th), Denali(all week), & Fairbanks(18-22nd). So far I've gotten reservations at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge for 2 nights, 17th/18th. There is nothing available in Denali/Healy and only the Super 8 motel in Fairbanks. I literally watched the Bartlett Inn and the River's Edge space go away in front me! Geesh...

So my question is... a) does anyone know anything about the Super 8 motel in Fairbanks? b) is the drive and sights (I wanted to do the Gold Mine, ice museum, DH wants a golf shirt from the northern most USGA golf course) worth a 2 day investment, plus cost of one-way rental, plus airfare back to ANC?

I know this is such a subjective question, but for the $$$, I question whether we should just kick around ANC and perhaps Girdwood instead.

The fact that we are flying standby out of ANC doesn't help. :-)

Thanks for any input..

IFlyTheHouse

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bunnelc:

So my question is... a) does anyone know anything about the Super 8 motel in Fairbanks? b) is the drive and sights (I wanted to do the Gold Mine, ice museum, DH wants a golf shirt from the northern most USGA golf course) worth a 2 day investment, plus cost of one-way rental, plus airfare back to ANC?

I know this is such a subjective question, but for the $$$, I question whether we should just kick around ANC and perhaps Girdwood instead.

The fact that we are flying standby out of ANC doesn't help. :-)

Thanks for any input..

IFlyTheHouse<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We spent three nights in Fairbanks. It was at the Fairbanks Riverside Lodge, which was in a very pretty location and had a/c, a coffee maker in the room and nice decor, but that aside, wasn't special.

One of the things I enjoyed about Fairbanks was just being so far north and having so much daylight. It has a very small town feel, but a bigger town "look". The shopping/downtown center is all of 3 blocks (maybe) and is the one thing I would skip. There seemed to be a "seedy" section, about 1 block long.

Pioneerland/Alaskaland you could spend all day at if you spend time at the air museum, the paddlewheeler (we spent at least an hour roaming it) and then there is the salmon dinner (that we didn't go to).

Aside from the air museum and boat exhibit, most of the rest of the park is similar to many of the once large family amusement type parks (minus the rides) that are scattered throughout the country with Alaska as the theme.

If I was to go to Fairbanks again, I would definitely go there again.

The gold mine, including the train was maybe an hour and a half. It was fun, but NOT worth the whole trip up. If I were to go to Fairbanks again, I would skip it unless I was bringing someone who had never been.

The riverboat was very informational, but not "first class". You sit in plastic seats lined up in a row. However, they have video monitors at judicious points, so that you can see everything even if most of the passengers climb over, around, and in front of you and block your view.

I would take this trip again.

The highlight of Fairbanks for me, though, was the museum at the university. We spent about 2 hours in there, I could have spent two days, easy. The exhibits are, to me, anthropologic and also wildlife based. They are broken up into sections, with info and items from the native cultures of the different geologic areas.

Talkeetna we spent about 1 1/2 hours in. It was cute, but I wouldn't spend more time there unless I was using it as a base to go flightseeing or hiking or fishing, etc.

Just curious, but wouldn't it be easier to drive round-trip and not spend the extra money on a one-way rental and extra flight back to ANC? It is 7 hours from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Plus, then maybe you can find some availability at hotels because you would have the flexibility to stop on either your way to or from Fairbanks. You could stay in Talkeetna on the way there and in Healy on the way back, if you can find hotels, to break up the trip.

Also, why just the quick stop at Denali? Is it just because you can't find a hotel? That is usually the main thing people do in the area.

Another thing to consider would be looking into some of the Alaska Railroad or other booking agent multi-day trips. They probably have rooms blocked off for things like that, so you might not have the lodging difficulties going that way.

Good luck!

Have you checked on the B&Bs that are available in the area? There are some very nice ones and less expensive than the hotels. For the amount of time you are spending post-cruise, a lot of the time is spent just driving. That number of days would allow you to spend sometime in Seward, Talkeetna, 2 days at Denali and return to Anchorage.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Just curious, but wouldn't it be easier to drive round-trip and not spend the extra money on a one-way rental and extra flight back to ANC? It is 7 hours from Anchorage to Fairbanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both DH & I hate long drives. We're good for 4 hours but not much longer unless we have to. The real problem is lodging. Everything (now I haven't checked Chena Springs 65 miles away) is booked in Fairbanks except a very strange looking home/motel and the Super 8 in Fairbanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Have you checked on the B&Bs that are available in the area? There are some very nice ones and less expensive than the hotels. For the amount of time you are spending post-cruise, a lot of the time is spent just driving. That number of days would allow you to spend sometime in Seward, Talkeetna, 2 days at Denali and return to Anchorage.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Larry - you've helped me before in my planning! icon_smile.gif Yes, I've checked via web searches, the Healy web page, books, etc but Denali is booked up solid. I'm simply amazed, yet not. We're taking the train from Whitter to ANC and picking up an SUV at the ANC airport on the 17th. Almost all of the Denali tours, minus the bus into Denali, are available either in Talkeetna or Denali, so we plan to probably do the summit flight and backcountry jeep tours and time permitting, a river trip or horseback riding. Personally, I'd like to heli-hike into Denali area, but DH has bad knees plus it is $$$$.

We've seen soo much wildlife up close and personal when we we did the Calgary/Banff/Lake Louise trip that the bus into Denali doesn't have much appeal, but I would like to at least see some of it. We may just do a day trip from Talkeetna.

In the meantime, I'll be checking for cancellations as it get closer. Either way, I can't wait!!

Thanks again to all for the input.

icon_cool.gif

IFlyTheHouse

Hi Genessa,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One of the things I enjoyed about Fairbanks was just being so far north and having so much daylight. It has a very small town feel, but a bigger town "look". The shopping/downtown center is all of 3 blocks (maybe) and is the one thing I would skip. There seemed to be a "seedy" section, about 1 block long.

Pioneerland/Alaskaland you could spend all day at if you spend time at the air museum, the paddlewheeler (we spent at least an hour roaming it) and then there is the salmon dinner (that we didn't go to).

Aside from the air museum and boat exhibit, most of the rest of the park is similar to many of the once large family amusement type parks (minus the rides) that are scattered throughout the country with Alaska as the theme.

If I was to go to Fairbanks again, I would definitely go there again.

The gold mine, including the train was maybe an hour and a half. It was fun, but NOT worth the whole trip up. If I were to go to Fairbanks again, I would skip it unless I was bringing someone who had never been.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if the Super 8 is in the "seedy" 1 block section since it is definitely the last space to get snapped up.

I wouldn't have thought about Alaskaland. Thank you for the info. DH is such an airplane fanatic (being a pilot) that if we do get there, we will definitely check it out. I've already planned a stop at the aircraft museum in ANC icon_razz.gif

Basically, I'm thinking the Gold mine and getting a golf shirt is not enough to justify the trip. But another aircraft exhibit, that could just change the whole thing. icon_biggrin.gif

We will have to just wait and see if space opens up. Plus DH is concerned that we'll be ready to get home after 12 days away.

Thanks again for your help.

IFlyTheHouse

IFlythehouse,

You mentioned you had seen lots of wildlife on atour of Banff,Jasper,Lake Louise. Will be taking that tour, including Glacier National Park, in mid-Aug. What and where can I expect to see wildlife. Did you do any of the flightseeing excursions? What optional excursion did you do?

For possible help on accomodations and flights,tours, etc call Geri at Talkeetna Aero. She works for the Talkeetna/Denali Visitor Center. Was a great deal of help for us last Aug. She can check for availability. Plus some of the B&bs don't have websites.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bunnelc:

wonder if the Super 8 is in the "seedy" 1 block section since it is definitely the last space to get snapped up.

I don't remember seeing a Super 8 at all.

I wouldn't have thought about Alaskaland. Thank you for the info. DH is such an airplane fanatic (being a pilot) that if we do get there, we will definitely check it out. I've already planned a stop at the aircraft museum in ANC icon_razz.gif

But another aircraft exhibit, that could just change the whole thing. icon_biggrin.gif

IFlyTheHouse<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The museum is called Alaskaland Pioneer Air Museum - they have a web address of

www.akpub.com/akttt/aviat.html (I haven't checked it out, so I have no idea what is on it. They had a small admission fee (I think they charged my friends and I about $6 total - family rate). The people who run it are real enthusiasts and cheerfully answered all our questions. Among the exhibits they had was Will Rogers, Gullwin Stinson V-77/At-19 Alaska Bush Aircraft, 1966 US ARmy Bell UH1-1H Helicopter (one of our friends had flown on one in Vietnam and this particular exhibit you can walk up a small platform and really see into it). They had other restored aircraft (some suspended from the dome ceiling) and engines as well as manuscripts, flight records, advertisements from commercial companies. They showed a short movie (about 10-12 minutes) on flying in Alaska. We spent over an hour and a half in here (and dragged my husband out kicking and screaming) and none of us are real plane enthusiasts.

We were also thinking of going to the Ice Museum but did not. It looked very run-down and our tour guides as well as several local people (Sophie Station employees and two different cab drivers) did not have good recommendations on it. They all suggested the University Museum which we enjoyed. There really is not a whole lot to see in Fairbanks.

Hi Larry,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> IFlythehouse,

You mentioned you had seen lots of wildlife on atour of Banff,Jasper,Lake Louise. Will be taking that tour, including Glacier National Park, in mid-Aug. What and where can I expect to see wildlife. Did you do any of the flightseeing excursions? What optional excursion did you do?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We went in May for our anniversary. It was not planned other than our hotels. We stayed at the Fairmont in Calgary (not good- moved to the Sheraton - very nice), Fairmont in Banff - very, very nice, Fairmont Lake Louise - nice. We splurged and stayed in suites each place - Banff they gave us keys to a 6-7 rooms to pick the one we liked best - never seen that before, each unique, some w/ stones walls, fireplaces, etc. We basically just drove around - no tour or anything. Most of the wildlife we saw was just outside of Banff, especially at a lake east of town. We also saw lots of Moose on the golf course in the mornings. A whole group of young Dall Sheep w/ Mama clustered in the road causing quite a problem for cars on a causeway in either direction. We honked our horns, inched up... to no avail. They just clustered closer together. Which finally allowed one car to pass slowly within inches of the group. Literally could have reached out and touched them (which I didn't). It was amazing. We didn't see any Bears or Eagles, but my family is from Upper Mich so I've seen lots of bear and eagles growing up. Since I don't know how to post pictures, email me if you want additional info or a picture or two. I would go back to Banff in a heartbeat, it was one of the best unplanned trips we've ever done. I'm sure you will love it.

Cheryl

IFlyTheHouse

I have stayed at the Fairbanks Super 8, it's NOT in a seedy area. Next door is Denny's. In your timeframe I wouldn't consider Chena Hot Springs. Denali Park is NOT a day trip from Talkeetna either. For me it is always a highpoint and I have seen a LOT of wildlife in my travels. I never tire of it, scenery is spectacular. Fairbanks has plenty to keep you busy, but I wouldn't rent a one way car, nor fly back to Anchorage- I assume you are nonrev??? I would instead- just go one way and go home from Fairbanks. It will make better use of your time. Do you have THE MILEPOST?? There are lodging listings there. In Denali Park although basic- try http://denaliparkhotel.com/ or the Lazy J in Cantwell. Again very basic lodging. Did you try B&B's? Last resort- look for a RV and just round trip Anchorage.

Larry,

We spent a week or more camping in Glacier, Waterton Glacier, and then drove to Banif for a few days and they on to Jasper. We enjoyed all of it, but the highlight was the Glacier Going to the Sun road and hikes at top, and Jasper for beauty and wildlife. We saw elk everywhere, (last week of Aug, first in Sept.) a couple of moose, tons of water birds, one grizzley way up the mtn, two black bears, many dall sheep and fantastic scenery. We saw fighting elk stop a soft ball game in Jasper since they were in no hurry to leave field!! Many waterfalls, great rivers, mtns and glaciers. Morraine Lake is also very unique.

Bunnelc and John Q,

Thanks for the info on your tours of the area of Jasper, Banff, Glacier Nat'l.

I have already purchase airfare and have made final payment on tour. The reason I made the previous comment is that I only recently found info concerning the large dinosaur site in Drumheller, AB. Drumheller is about 1.5 hr drive from Calgary. I arrive early the first day, but I can't find any tours from Calgary to Drumheller. The only tour I found is 9 hrs long. Since I already have paid airfare I can't stay the extra day on the end.

Any suggestions?

Larry

Archived