NCL Mangrove Exploration by Kayak and Beach Escape

10smom

Mangrove Exploration by Kayak and Beach Escape

We were in Samana on November 13th. It was warm, but cloudy all day and it rained off and on. There were about 28 of us on the tour. Picked up at the ship (did not tender to shore) in the boat that we were going to use for the tour. I think the tour may have been full, since there was not a lot of extra room on the boat. We travelled for 45? minutes and then slowed down at the National Park. Looked at some birds -- herons, pelicans and a few others. Then, our group split up for the next 45 minutes. Half went kayaking in the mangroves and the other half explored a cave. Then we switched, so everyone got to do both things. The kayaking was great. Very peaceful. Easy paddling (no current) and nice scenery. Would've loved to spend more time there. The cave was interesting, saw some neat rock formations and cave drawings, but 45 minutes was a little long for it... It rained off and on through the tours, but had a good time even though we were soaked. They served us rum and cokes on the return trip.

The boat took us to the beach and dropped some of us off (not everyone had paid for the beach part of the excursion). We had about an hour on the beach, which was more than enough for us. Almost everyone from the ship had already left, so it was pretty deserted and there were lots of locals trying to sell things. It was very pretty, but the weather was not cooperating and we go to the beach a lot (live near Cocoa Beach), so didn't stay long.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the great report. We are also doing the same excursion and I have a question about the kayaking? Can 2 people fit in 1 kayak, or is it 1 person on each kayak? I am a little nervous about doing this alone, and am hoping my son will be in the kayak with me.

After they drop you off on Cayo, can you stay there as long as you want?

Thanks for your help

Sharon

The kayaks are for 2 people. You'll have a great time. I think you could stay at Cayo as long as you want, but we only had an hour until the last tender back to the ship. Our excursion got started a little late, so you might have more time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you! We're doing the Kayak and Mangrove excursion in February.

A double kayak will be interesting this time! Last year in Acapulco, the first time we had ever kayaked, we decided to take single kayaks. I am sooooo glad we did. DH had trouble with his back and ended up lying full length over his kayak for most of the excursion. If I'd been in the front, he couldn't have done it. AND I would have had to paddle for the two of us (DH is a big man). :D

For those who haven't gone yet, please come back and tell us how your excursion went.

I had booked this excursion for my Jan 6th sailing on the Dawn, and I received an email from NCL last week that this excursion was cancelled. I called and they had no explanation for it. I am a little disapointed, but instead chose the jeep excursion. I think I will try for the kayaking in St. Thomas instead. Anyone know why this was cancelled?

• 2 months later...

does anyone know the name of the tour vendor ? The age limit is 8 on the ncl website and I would like to contact them ., Any other info for this tour , ie. kids , hard easy , long short /??

Thanks

Archived