Beachcomber in Galveston

billsrobb

• 5 weeks later...

I've been watching this post hoping someone would respond. I booked a room at this hotel for our upcoming October cruise. The only thing I can tell you is I emailed the hotel to ask some questions and they were very prompt about emailing me back. I asked if they had any problems with leaving your car parked in their parking lot, they said they haven't had any problems except one time a customer backed into a cruise passengers car, but the auto insurance made everything right. I also asked if you could see the ocean from any of the rooms and they said you couldn't.

The pictures of the rooms online look nice enough and the price certainly was good. So I booked a room for my family and one for the in-laws going with us.

I hope someone who has stayed here will post their experience. If you do stay there please post your review of this hotel.

Thanks

Sharon

I've been email Beachcomber hotel asking diffrent question and they have been real good about email me back with a answer quick. So I think we are going to give them a try when we go to Galveston for are October 13th cruise. If someone go before then please let us know how it was..Thanks

As a "local" I haven't had the need to stay at the Beachcomber, but I can tell you that it is in a good area - near but not on the beach (which probably accounts for the lower prices). There are, as the website reports, several restaurants within easy walking distance. Like all of Galveston, which is a small island, it is convenient to the cruise terminal. Sorry I don't have any actual experience to report.

I've been email Beachcomber hotel asking diffrent question and they have been real good about email me back with a answer quick. So I think we are going to give them a try when we go to Galveston for are October 13th cruise. If someone go before then please let us know how it was..Thanks

Did you put something special in the title of the e-mail? I have e-mailed them twice and not gotten an answer. I'm going to Galveston 25 October and looking for a place to stay and leave the car.

I've never stayed there, but I've read both good and bad reviews about the place and I have driven by it many times. You have to remember, for an above average room on Galveston Island you'll have to dish out a fair share of $$$. Galveston is WAY overpriced as far as rooms AND restaurants go for what you get in return. Unfortunately, they have the out of town cruisers over a barrel.

I've never stayed there, but I've read both good and bad reviews about the place and I have driven by it many times. You have to remember, for an above average room on Galveston Island you'll have to dish out a fair share of $$$. Galveston is WAY overpriced as far as rooms AND restaurants go for what you get in return. Unfortunately, they have the out of town cruisers over a barrel.

As do most cruise port hotels.:D

Count me as one "local" who really likes Galveston - the Strand, the beautiful restored homes in the historical district, the great restaurants, etc. Have to admit that the beach/water leave much to be desired but the trade-off is great fishing in this area of the Gulf.

In addition to great historical hotels like the Tremont and the Galvez, there are upscale places like the San Luis and Hilton and numerous chain motels (Holiday Inn, Best Western, La Quinta, etc., etc., ) located on Seawall Blvd. Since it is such a small island, distance to the cruise terminals is not a factor from any area of the city. Unless you "hit" a time period where there is an island event - such as Mardi Gras or Dickens week-end - the rates seem comparable to other port cities we have visited.

The one thing Galveston needs to improve quickly is transportation from the Houston airports. If something isn't done soon to make that an easier process, they are going to have a major PR problem. Just hope that the new Houston terminal at Bayport is watching and will address their transportation issues before they open later this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI all:

We just came back yesterday from a weekend in Galveston. Over the years, we've stayed at the Beachcomber, and several others. The Beachcomber was good. And none of these are high quality hotels, but are good. Here's our list of favorite hotels (we visit Galveston 4-5X/year for short visits):

Comfort Inn/Stewart Beach, Ramada Inn (23rd & Seawall), EconoLodge, Super 8, Days Inn, Best Value Inn, and Best Western. There are some nicer ones for additional money, but these are our choices, because they consistently provide good value for the price.

I hope this helps. Come to this special island to cruise or for a few days. We've been enjoying it for 25 years.

Bob from Dallas / Ft. Worth

Archived