Restaurant surcharges?

Jrsygrl

You will find differing opinions, but I definitely would plan for a tip. The service is so much better (along with the food) that I think you will probably feel that a tip is appropriate. Just like eating in a nice restaurant at home. Think of the surcharge as the cost of the meal.

Not trying to start a fight, but I have read that a tip is not expected in the specialty restaurants as this is part of the daily service charge. In fact the wait staff in the specialty venues are the same as those in the main restaurants. Our waiter in Cagney's waited on us in the Grand Pacific the next day at lunch.

In our experience last month, the service was not that much better than the regular restaurants. One night in Orchid Garden, our glasses went unfilled for more than 10 minutes, the noodles ordered with the entree were not served until we asked the maitre'd for them. I waited more than 10 minutes after finishing my sushi order before they came back to take the next order. The waiter never came back to check to see if our entrees were OK or not.

Not that it makes it right or wrong, but not one of our Cruise Critic members thought an extra tip was expected in the specialty restaurants.

In eating in the specialty restaurants 5 times, only one time would I consider that I received great service.

Archived