Puerto Caldera, Playa Flamingo, Quepos, Bahia Paraiso, Curu, Tortuga Island...?

2Feathers

We're considering booking Windstar's cruise that goes to these ports in Costa Rica. Can anyone provide some information on any of these ports? What to do and see there? What's Puerto Caldera (the embarkation/debarkation point) like? Would it be worth it to stay a few extra days there pre or post cruise? This itinerary also makes a stop at San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua, if anyone knows anything about this port. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

We're taking this cruise at the end of 2005. I have been reading the Lonely Planet Guides for both Costa Rica and Panama. The stop in Nicaragua goes to the oldest European settlement in the New World, Grenada, and also an active volcano. Both guidebooks seem to have excellent information for these infrequently visited ports.

Beth

Gary-

We'll miss you by about two weeks. We'll be on 12/27 for the New Year's Eve trip. I think it's a little longer, 11 days. I hope you'll post a review when you return, especially on the different ports.

What are you doing for hotel accomodations? Windstar wants $360pp for a night at the Intercontinental in San Jose- we're NOT doing that!

This will be our first non-mass market cruise. I have to say I'm already planning not to go back. This sounds like a great alternative.

Beth

• 3 weeks later...

We are staying two nights at the Marriott in San Jose and then two nights at the Los Suenos Marriott in Puntarenas. We have a lot of Marriott points so that has made our choice easy. It seems that hotels in costa rica are very resonable.

Archived