S.O.S. on kenexx... (Maurice, please help!)

TenerifeSharon

Maurice, you have been so helpful with CCers in need of advice for flights to or from Australia. May I ask for help with a couple of questions, please?

We are flying to Sydney in January (unfortunately, not with your employer due to cost, FF mileage accrual, etc ... but please help anyway, if you can.) We have a looong scheduled flight plan starting in Germany from PAD (Paderborn) to FRA to SFO to SYD. Then, due to the prohibitive cost of an open jaw, we are booked on one-ways from SYD to AKL (with LAN Chile). Our United Airlines flight is expected to land in Sydney at around 7:50 a.m. the LAN flight leaves for AKL at 10:45.

1. What are our chances of making the flight? (I thought and read that 3 hours should be enough transfer time.)

2. And, since the one-way is on a separate ticket, are we stuck to pay for another flight if the UA gets in too late?

3. And, lastly, do you think we can check in our luggage from PAD all the way to AKL or will LH/UA not interline with LAN? (LAN has very contradictory terms about 2 pieces of luggage -- on their website (and one of the reasons I booked the one-way with them) is the statement that all flights starting, ending or going through Oceania will allow 2 pieces of luggage per passenger. On the ticket (one of the very few paper tickets I've seen in several years, but required for the booking),it now states 20 kg. per passenger.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a little confused and rather worried. Thanks for much for your advice.

We are flying to Sydney in January (unfortunately, not with your employer due to cost, FF mileage accrual, etc ... but please help anyway, if you can.) We have a looong scheduled flight plan starting in Germany from PAD (Paderborn) to FRA to SFO to SYD. Then, due to the prohibitive cost of an open jaw, we are booked on one-ways from SYD to AKL (with LAN Chile). Our United Airlines flight is expected to land in Sydney at around 7:50 a.m. the LAN flight leaves for AKL at 10:45.

1. What are our chances of making the flight? (I thought and read that 3 hours should be enough transfer time.)

2. And, since the one-way is on a separate ticket, are we stuck to pay for another flight if the UA gets in too late?

3. And, lastly, do you think we can check in our luggage from PAD all the way to AKL or will LH/UA not interline with LAN? (LAN has very contradictory terms about 2 pieces of luggage -- on their website (and one of the reasons I booked the one-way with them) is the statement that all flights starting, ending or going through Oceania will allow 2 pieces of luggage per passenger. On the ticket (one of the very few paper tickets I've seen in several years, but required for the booking),it now states 20 kg. per passenger.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a little confused and rather worried. Thanks for much for your advice.

Kia ora from Rototua, NZ,

Do you need to go through all the other airports to get to Auckland? If you don't why not take the quickest (and probably cheaper) route and go through the east, which has the advantage of avoiding American immigration. With just one refuelling stop you can go from a variety of places in Europe with just one stopover on your way to Auckland. Eg. via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific, Thai Airways via Bangkok, Singapore Airways via Singapore or Malasian via KL. Whichever way it still involves about 24 hours flying time! If you wanted to stop in Sydney you could try Quantas and then continue with them on the way to Auckland. If you wish to keep the route you have stated, I would say that if everything is to time you would be OK but with the large number of stopovers you are proposing I think timing could well be a problem!

Ka kite

Aquarians

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful answer, Aquarians. I do fly a lot (and I book everything online using lots of sources) and know we had several possibilities for this route, but chose this one intentionally. It was not much more than 1/2 the price of the alternatives AND we are each getting over 27,000 FF miles per person for the route, and it is not really much longer than the stopover in Singapore or Bangkok or.... The open-jaw alternate wa really almost doubly as expensive. Because our cruise ends in Sydney we are, of course, flying back to Europe from there after spending some time in Australia. Since I am a U.S. citizen (have lived in Europe for 30 years, though), immigration through the U.S. is no major problem for me (and my husband is allowed to go through the U.S. line with me). Additionally, we paid the small additional fare and are flying economy plus with quite a bit more leg room.

Keep your fingers crossed that we arrive in Auckland sometime on January 25th:cool: and thanks again for your assistance. We are looking forward to our 9 days pre-cruise on the North Island and hope to stay even longer next time. I keep saying that we're only going to have the "Readers' Digest" version this time -- much abridged -- but we will be back!

P.S. The several airport stopovers aren't causing us any concern (except for SYD-AKL timewise). The others would be fine if they want to bump us to the next flight. And PAD-FRA is only a 45 minute flight to start off.

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful answer, Aquarians. I do fly a lot (and I book everything online using lots of sources) and know we had several possibilities for this route, but chose this one intentionally. It was not much more than 1/2 the price of the alternatives AND we are each getting over 27,000 FF miles per person for the route, and it is not really much longer than the stopover in Singapore or Bangkok or.... )... Additionally, we paid the small additional fare and are flying economy plus with quite a bit more leg room.

Keep your fingers crossed that we arrive in Auckland sometime on January 25th:cool: and thanks again for your assistance. We are looking forward to our 9 days pre-cruise on the North Island and hope to stay even longer next time. I keep saying that we're only going to have the "Readers' Digest" version this time -- much abridged -- but we will be back!

P.S. The several airport stopovers aren't causing us any concern (except for SYD-AKL timewise). The others would be fine if they want to bump us to the next flight. And PAD-FRA is only a 45 minute flight to start off.

Kia ora korua,

Great. Not many airlines offer premium economy yet. I'm sure you will enjoy the extra comfort. Which carrier are you using? The Rotorua area, where we live is, the North Island's 'must see' being a centre of Maori culture plus it's thermal areas, lakes, mountains & adventure activities etc. Let us know if we can help. We are sure you will enjoy.

Aquarians icon7.gificon7.gif

Maurice, you have been so helpful with CCers in need of advice for flights to or from Australia. May I ask for help with a couple of questions, please?

Hi Sharon

Happy to try and help with some answers. 3 hours is enough time to transfer from UA to LA in Sydney. The major thing you will have to try and get LH to do is check your bags all the way to AKL. Even though your SYDAKL is on a separate ticket they can do this. However I would be inclined to call LH and get them to add the SYDAKL sector on LA into your PAD SFO SYD booking as an info segment. Also as you check in in PAD make sure you ask them to ensure the bags are checked to AKL.

If this is done you can then just transit SYD and collect boarding passes at the QF transfer desk on the departure level. If they cant/wont check your bags to AKL then you will have to claim your bags and go thru immigration and customs and then go to the departure level and check in for the LA flt. Now 3 hours should be enough time to do this but I would not want UA to be delayed into SYD.

The baggage allowance for flts ex Australia on LA is 2 bags however as the great majority of your travel is on LH/UA the 20KG will apply. Hope all that helps. Please let me know what LH says if you call them. I'll keep watch on the thread.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your - as ever - "right on" advice. I am going to try reaching LH on Monday morning. Since the flight was ticketed with UA (and paid for on the UA website), would they need to add on the segment? Or is LH the important one because that's who we will be checking in with for the first flight (PAD-FRA)?

Since we are allowed 2 pcs. of luggage on all international flights on LH or UA going through U.S., I'm mainly concerned about the extra piece for each of us from SYD to AKL (which will certainly make our luggage weight more than the 20 kg. stated on LA's tix, although their website states 2 pcs.) Since you mentioned that we need to get our boarding passes from Qantas in SYD (presuming I can't get the luggage checked through in Germany), does that mean that there should be no problem with the 2 pcs.(23 kg. per bag) each for the last flight from SYD-AKL? I'm sure glad we're flying back directly from SYD at the end of the trip!:eek: Guess I won't book one-ways in the middle of an international flight again. But the open-jaw alternative made a difference of over $1000 per person on the original UA fare, and the LA one-ways were pretty cheap.

Thanks again for your help -- will post the results ASAP. Have a great weekend.

Sharon,

I've been following this thread and find myself holding my breath for you! Good luck - sounds like it will be doable (if stressful). We will be sending positive vibes your way and be ready to hear the story at the Marriott Sydney Harbor at the end of your cruise!

Thanks, Sheila, your good vibes will definitely help:D

I am not going to panic about this -- if nothing else works, we will simply either lose our LAN one-way flights (not the end of the world) or pay for the excess luggage (also not the end of the world). In the main scheme of things, neither of these would be as expensive as having bought other tix from Germany to Auckland and neither would cause us to enjoy our trip any less! Remember our luggage issue for our transatlantic last March when X changed the Canary Island port from Tenerife to La Palma and back to Tenerife? Your great info for J. Porkolab at X saved the day!! Maurice is going to save my day this time with his information!

I enjoy all these little predicaments and none of this is anywhere near as stressful as my work in "real life" used to be -- being on an opera stage and singing in german, italian, french or czech (?!?) for thousands of people ... now that is STRESS:eek:

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your - as ever - "right on" advice. I am going to try reaching LH on Monday morning. Since the flight was ticketed with UA (and paid for on the UA website), would they need to add on the segment? Or is LH the important one because that's who we will be checking in with for the first flight (PAD-FRA)?

Since we are allowed 2 pcs. of luggage on all international flights on LH or UA going through U.S., I'm mainly concerned about the extra piece for each of us from SYD to AKL (which will certainly make our luggage weight more than the 20 kg. stated on LA's tix, although their website states 2 pcs.) Since you mentioned that we need to get our boarding passes from Qantas in SYD (presuming I can't get the luggage checked through in Germany), does that mean that there should be no problem with the 2 pcs.(23 kg. per bag) each for the last flight from SYD-AKL? I'm sure glad we're flying back directly from SYD at the end of the trip!:eek: Guess I won't book one-ways in the middle of an international flight again. But the open-jaw alternative made a difference of over $1000 per person on the original UA fare, and the LA one-ways were pretty cheap.

Thanks again for your help -- will post the results ASAP. Have a great weekend.

Hi Sharon

Sorry I didnt realize it was booked and ticketed thru UA. So yes contact UA to get the SYDAKL sector added as the info sector. However when you first checkin in with LH ask them to interline the bags to AKL on the LAN flight. Explain it is really important as if it is not done you then have to "enter" Australia and re check in again. Actually make sure you have the documentation i.e. an Electronic Travel Authority if it is required for you.

If you did have to claim your bags in SYD and then recheck, the checked baggage allowance is 2 pieces per person BUT between SYD and AKL the max weight is 20 KG per bag. Dont ask me why - dont you just love airlines regs? :p Thats's on the LAN website. I'm about to go to work and I'll do dome digging to see if LH will interline bags to LAN at SYD. I'll check with my colleagues at FRA to see if they can find out from LH. I'll post back as soon as I have something.

Maurice

Hi Sharon

Sorry I didnt realize it was booked and ticketed thru UA. So yes contact UA to get the SYDAKL sector added as the info sector. However when you first checkin in with LH ask them to interline the bags to AKL on the LAN flight. Explain it is really important as if it is not done you then have to "enter" Australia and re check in again. Actually make sure you have the documentation i.e. an Electronic Travel Authority if it is required for you.

If you did have to claim your bags in SYD and then recheck, the checked baggage allowance is 2 pieces per person BUT between SYD and AKL the max weight is 20 KG per bag. Dont ask me why - dont you just love airlines regs? :p Thats's on the LAN website. I'm about to go to work and I'll do dome digging to see if LH will interline bags to LAN at SYD. I'll check with my colleagues at FRA to see if they can find out from LH. I'll post back as soon as I have something.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Well, my phone conversation with UA was pretty non-result. The CSR was adamant that the additional Localizer code could NOT be added to our flight itinerary. Unless I continue calling back and am able to reach a different CSR, I guess I'll have to take my chances in PAD when we check in. Or did I misunderstand your comment about the "info sector"? He also said, of course, that we would certainly have enough time in SYD to re-check in. Does he not know UA's average schedule of delays??

Thanks again for your help -- hope to meet you at SYD, and not because we've missed our flight to AKL and have to buy new tickets :rolleyes:

Hi Maurice,

Well, my phone conversation with UA was pretty non-result. The CSR was adamant that the additional Localizer code could NOT be added to our flight itinerary. Unless I continue calling back and am able to reach a different CSR, I guess I'll have to take my chances in PAD when we check in. Or did I misunderstand your comment about the "info sector"? He also said, of course, that we would certainly have enough time in SYD to re-check in. Does he not know UA's average schedule of delays??

Thanks again for your help -- hope to meet you at SYD, and not because we've missed our flight to AKL and have to buy new tickets :rolleyes:

Hi Sharon

I dont think you mis-understood about the info sector. I dont know of any reason why UA cant add the info sector into their PNR at all. I do it all the time. I know UA are on a different system but I've not heard of it not being able to be done. Still waiting on a response from FRA. I'll chase that up. You wont get to see me at SYD as I dont work at the airport (Thank God - no disrespect intended to pax :))

Maurice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maurice,

I may have an accurate follow-up to this adventure ... This evening I finally reached a very accomodating UA CSR. I had received an eMail about a change of flight time for one of the segments and called back in Frankfurt. At the end of the conversation I once again posed my little problem and asked if she could please add an info sector to my reservation (the SYD-AKL flight on LA). Ultimately I think she may have been able to do so, even though it is a paper ticket, which she said made it more difficult, since she did say she was able to add it to the documentation. Keep your fingers crossed that this actually works on January 25... and thanks again for your help.

Sharon,

I'm pulling for you! Hope all works out as you expect. You've certainly done a lot of good planning and Maurice has been a font of knowledge (from which I've learned a lot, too :)).

We're looking forward to meeting you for that drink at the Marriott Harbor Hotel on Feb 16th!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to follow-up on this so you'd all know that the good vibes must have helped.

Checking the luggage through from PAD-FRA-SFO-SYD-AKL was not a problem (generally, I find that if you're friendly and polite, you get it back "in kind"). All the segments were very punctual excepting the LAN Chile flight (the one I was most worried about), which was over 3 hours delayed leaving SYD. So, we had more than enough time in SYD.

The only problem we encountered was that my suitcase decided to take an independent tour to Melbourne, instead of being off-loaded in Sydney. It only arrived at our hotel this morning, 42 hours after we did. Luckily, we were prepared and each had 2 days worth of clothing in our carry-ons.

Had we not had that one-way segment on LAN from SYD-AKL, we could have been bumped (the UA SFO-SYD flight was waaaay overbooked). They were offering business class seats for the next day plus hotel + meal vouchers + $400 per person. We offered, but because of the code share SYD-AKL with ANZ, they couldn't accept our offer. Finally we were in the right place at the right time - with more than enough time to spare -and it didn't work. But, it was just as well not to extend the trip another 24 hours -- the 44 altogether were definitely enough.

So, we are still a bit exhausted, but are having a wonderful time in Auckland. The city is showing us its' best side with lots of sun and temperatures in the 80s. Lunch today at the Sky Tower was lovely and we are just getting to know a bit about Auckland before leaving for the Bay of islands on Tuesday.

Again, thanks to kenexx, Sheila & Aquarians for your help and good thoughts! Sheila, looking forward to meeting you at the Marriott Sydney Harbour on the 16th.

Hi all,

Just wanted to follow-up on this so you'd all know that the good vibes must have helped.

Checking the luggage through from PAD-FRA-SFO-SYD-AKL was not a problem (generally, I find that if you're friendly and polite, you get it back "in kind"). All the segments were very punctual excepting the LAN Chile flight (the one I was most worried about), which was over 3 hours delayed leaving SYD. So, we had more than enough time in SYD.

The only problem we encountered was that my suitcase decided to take an independent tour to Melbourne, instead of being off-loaded in Sydney. It only arrived at our hotel this morning, 42 hours after we did. Luckily, we were prepared and each had 2 days worth of clothing in our carry-ons.

Had we not had that one-way segment on LAN from SYD-AKL, we could have been bumped (the UA SFO-SYD flight was waaaay overbooked). They were offering business class seats for the next day plus hotel + meal vouchers + $400 per person. We offered, but because of the code share SYD-AKL with ANZ, they couldn't accept our offer. Finally we were in the right place at the right time - with more than enough time to spare -and it didn't work. But, it was just as well not to extend the trip another 24 hours -- the 44 altogether were definitely enough.

So, we are still a bit exhausted, but are having a wonderful time in Auckland. The city is showing us its' best side with lots of sun and temperatures in the 80s. Lunch today at the Sky Tower was lovely and we are just getting to know a bit about Auckland before leaving for the Bay of islands on Tuesday.

Again, thanks to kenexx, Sheila & Aquarians for your help and good thoughts! Sheila, looking forward to meeting you at the Marriott Sydney Harbour on the 16th.

Sharon I'm so glad that it all worked out ok. Sometimes, just sometimes flight delays can work out in your favour :D

Maurice

Sharon,

So glad that it all worked out (in your direction). Maurice, I give you lots of credit for sharing the needed info.

Our countdown is on - We leave in 17 days - with 2 nights in Honolulu before our 2 nights in Sydney. Hopefully, that layover will help us with jet lag. We have you on our list of people we most want to meet in Sydney, Sharon. We're scheduled to get back to the hotel from our Hunter Valley wine tour at about 6:30 PM and the Roll Call group is supposed to start gathering at 7 PM. I'm bringing nametags along with me so we can tell who we are!! At that point, I'll probably need one to remember my own name :)

Hope you find time to post once in awhile after you board Mercury. Would love to hear first hand how things are! Have a safe and glorious time in the Bay of Islands AND take good care of the ship for us!!

Archived