Excursion question - 7 mile beach break, can I just get a cab??

nicholaseb

The cabs will be lined up at the dock area. Depending on where you go along 7MB, it will cost you $4 or $5 (this would be for Sea Grape) per person, each way. The cabs are white, and they're more of a van-type vehicle that the yellow ones I am used to. But they will be lined up at the port, and they'll also be lined up at Sea Grape and Royal Palms for your return. If you go to a hotel, and there isn't one there, the hotel will call one for you. Getting a cab there is very easy.

The beaches are public, but you can't use the chairs at the hotels, condos, etc., without working with the hotel to secure a pass. So if all you want to do is plop your towel down, you can have the cab driver take you anywhere along the 7MB area.

Royal Palms is a place on the 7MB stretch that offers food, restrooms, water toy rental and chair rental. Sea Grape is the same sort of place, but it's farther away that Royal Palms (although not a lot, maybe a couple of miles or so).

Some of the hotels offer day passes. If you're interested in something like that, you might check out the Comfort Suites, Marriott Beach, Ritz, or the Hyatt.

IMO, I'd stay away from Beach Club Colony. They sell day passes, but they don't restrict the number they sale (the hotels will do this). And depending on how many ships are in port, all these places may be very crowded.

In Grand Cayman, I'd not do any ship excursions. It's a safe place and you can do your own thing for a lot less money. Another thing you might think about is if you want to get out and go to other places on the island is to rent a car (we always use Andy's). It's quite easy to navigate around the island. There aren't that many roads, and the traffic doesn't move that quickly. Grand Cayman is one of those rare islands that you can get out and do your think anywhere you want and feel safe about doing so. Just use the same safety precautions you'd use at home and you'll be fine.

Here's Kirk's webpage. They do the water rentals at Royal Palms.

http://www.kirkseatours.com/diveshop.shtml

Here's the Royal Palms website (the Reef Grill is the restaurant at RP).

http://www.reefgrill.com/

Sea Grape doesn't have a website, at least that I've found, but here's the Red Sails website. They operate out of many locations, and one happens to be the Courtyard Marriott, which is next to Sea Grape.

http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html

Have a great time! :)

Archived