Island of Delos

Chicago Boy

Just thought those of you who are going to take a Mediterranean Crusie would want to know that the Island of Delos does not have restrooms on it. Seriously. :o The island is a ruin and it is a stop on the way to Mykonos. At least it was on our cruise. I can tell you that I was very happy to get back to our tender.

CB

Just thought those of you who are going to take a Mediterranean Crusie would want to know that the Island of Delos does not have restrooms on it. Seriously. :o The island is a ruin and it is a stop on the way to Mykonos. At least it was on our cruise. I can tell you that I was very happy to get back to our tender.

CB

We were there in May 07 and there were restrooms inside the museum. The island consists of ruins and this was a major trading port 1,000s of years ago. As far as sightseeing is concerned..it would be most interesting to passengers who are into Greek history and antiquities. It's very small and flat and I understand it can be very windy and sometimes very hot. We were lucky as it was neither that day..and we did have a guide who was very interesting. I'm not sure all the facilities are open year around..just during "tour season"..so perhaps the museum was closed when you were there.

I went to a deserted, but very historic, Greek isle many years ago and have been desperately trying to find the name for a couple of years. I even emailed the cruise line and they couldn't tell me. It had a small, rickety pier for the tenders and maybe a little hut where they sold water, but that was it. They were doing restoration work on the tile floors in the houses--would that have been Delos? One other thing I remember is that you couldn't be born or die there--those close to either extremity were taken off the island. Does this sound familiar? We did stop there for a couple of hours only, then went on to Mykonos.

I would be so grateful for an affirmation that this is my long lost island!

Cathy

Delos is absolutely wonderful. It is absolutely breathtaking to see the ruins and the mosiacs on the floors of the houses. You can almost hear the crowds in the marketplace and the theater.

I would love to go back there tomorrow.

Archived