is claudio gone?

refman

Been there. I'm sorry. Can you tell us something about what happened?

Jana

Jana -

Since you asked - it was our honeymoon cruise and we had the following major issues:

1. Our "next door neighbors" climbed onto our balcony and were looking into our cabin (and we were in the AC's directly below the bridge and the officers of the bridge actually were banging on the bridge windows to stop them). If they weren't doing that, they were on the railings sitting and looking in the door or windows. PS - all while the ship was underway. Children doing this too. Called the conceirge - and had pictures - he said he would talk to them. Later in the cruise spoke to the HD about the continuation of this problem since it happened several times a day - and they were throwing items from the ACs on either side of us to each other (and he had never even been apprised of the situation) and he advised there was nothing he would do since he can't control passenger behavior and it was a full ship and a holiday cruise.

2. The same neighbors were smoking, shall we say, something other than legal tobacco. Hallways were full of the odor. Called the conceirge, he was otherwise occupied. HD said - it's a full ship and a holiday cruise - nothing they could do to control this.

3. DH has severe shellfish and egg allergies, and we were told in the restaurant that nothing could be done to assist him. Asked the Maitre D' for assistance and received none. We then went to the conceirge and he said that he was busy with other suites and would get to us later. Two days later, still could not reach him on this issue. Our butler heard us talking about the issue and stepped up and served all meals in our cabin - with the biggest smile and grace I have ever witnessed from a human being. Advised the HD in mid-cruise and he said, it's a full ship and holiday week (what a response) and there was nothing he could do.

This certainly was not a good way to honeymoon. NCL Miami eventually responded and said that, while our issues were valid, since the ship was full and it was a busy holiday week, they were certain the individuals involved did the best they could.

And, to prove I'm not bitter and try not to judge too quickly, we went on the Spirit in October and walked into our penthouse to find urine and "other" on the floor, etc. We tried calling our stateroom attendant who was unavaible. Housekeeping came up, saw it, cleaned the entire bathroom. The conceirge was also "unavaiable". Later in the evening the stateroom attendant actually yelled at me in the passageway for calling AND demanded to see where the "mess" was. I showed him the pictures of it and he stormed out of the suite.

As I hope you can see, these are not minor issues (Ok, some may not consider urine a major issue, but, it's disgusting and unsanitary), but rather important ones. And, when you appeal for assistance, and no one even says "we'll try to do something about it", it's really upsetting.

Oh.

My.

God.

Thank you for sharing (I think). Um, yes, I'd be rather turned off and upset by these series of events too. I'm so sorry that this happened to you, and there is absolutely no defense to the lack of response.

Do you know who the hotel director was on the Spirit when you went?

Edit to add: ...and I can tell by your concise and measured tone as you relate these events that you most likely approached the issue in an appropriate manner with NCL, making their non-response all the more baffling.

Jana

Do you know who the hotel director was on the Spirit when you went?

Jana

Thanks Jana.

Honestly, didn't even bother at that point anymore on the Spirit. I was just pretty defeated, cried a bit after the incident, and gave up. I know I probably could have made a deal out of it on the ship, but I figured that it was pretty useless and not worth the energy. PS - Miami hasn't even had the decency of responding to the pictures of the "mess" in the bathroom yet.

DH is still pretty furious about everything (especially since I'm the "cruiser" and he just humors me pretty much). I'm glad we're still cruising; but I try not to mention much about the honeymoon cruise. It just causes hours of discussion that I don't have energy for. We did another cruise in September on another line and consider that one to be our honeymoon instead.

It's a pity since we really had liked NCL and were excited by the new ships coming out and their NYC departures. Looks like driving to Florida is now going to be the answer.

It's a pity since we really had liked NCL and were excited by the new ships coming out and their NYC departures. Looks like driving to Florida is now going to be the answer.

That just makes me so sad.

I don't know which I'd hate more, the "stuff" in the bathroom or the berating and challenging by the steward or the fact that corporate hasn't addressed it with you. Even a boilerplate "we're sorry, we're looking into it" is better than nothing.

Two years ago I attended a shipboard event on a Holland America ship. In the back of a small, dark cupboard under the desk, my friend Judy and I found a new package of tighty-whities. At the Cruise Critic get together the following day we jokingly thanked our host for leaving such a nice gift for us.

A few days later we happened to be in the cabin when our wonderful steward came in for some reason. After he performed whatever task he could, he stood there for a second and then quietly apologized for not having thoroghly cleaned the room. Judy and I were mortified, aghast. We realized that the ship's Hotel Director had been nearby our host when we thanked him for the nice male briefs. Our joking around had backfired and had nearly cost this fantastic young man his job. Judy and I both went to the HD to explain that we never meant to get our steward in trouble, that we hadn't been upset at all, that the item was hidden in such a way that it was almost impossible to see, and that the room had indeed been spotless when we entered it.

We spent the rest of the cruise trying to make it up to this fellow, who really was wonderful. Of course we said fabulous things about him on our comment cards and left him a big cash tip.

Holland America Line isn't perfect either. The worst, worst, worst room steward I have ever had on 30+ cruises was on Ryndam, made all the more embarrassing to me because I had my parents in the next room (same steward) and had touted the exceptional service of HAL. He was dreadful, lazy, sloppy and rude.

My point is, ship to ship, line to line, things happen, and how they are dealt with can make all the difference in the world. I'm so sorry this happened to you and I understand your fury, and your choice to sail another line from now on. I just feel sad about it.

Jana

My point is, ship to ship, line to line, things happen, and how they are dealt with can make all the difference in the world. I'm so sorry this happened to you and I understand your fury, and your choice to sail another line from now on. I just feel sad about it.

Thank you Jana. You are one of the few who has understood the frustration of these issues for me.

I totally agree that service can vary from trip-to-trip; however, the issues we had were indicative of a management stance - more of a "top-down" issue rather than just behavioral issues of a single individual. Senior Management must lead others by example and when there is a breakdown in that system, it's the passenger (or client, or customer - where-ever this occurs) that pays for the problems with lack of service, etc.

Two things: I hope you have the same steward on your Noordam trip (that was the ship with the underwear) and I love the Spirit-class ships of Carnival. They're big, but broken into more intimate areas, which I really like; their standard cabins are enormous and classy, and their dining, although traditional seating which I don't like, is topnotch.

Jana

Thanks Jana. Your room steward from the Noordam sounds like a gem. We usually get along with our room stewards really well.

As for the Miracle, it was a super trip in September of 2007. We were truly amazed by the service on board (I hadn't been on in a few years - ever since I got divorced from my first husband). It was a pleasant surprise.

Happy Cruising to all! :)

So, I guess we are all wondering, how was Claudio's service on your latest cruise on the GEM? Claudio is a class act, probably the BEST concierge in the fleet! Post away coondogg97 ... and be nice, its the new year. :D

I guess I should have been a little clearer; our trip is at the end of this year (11/29/2008). I will be sure to find this post and update it with my most recent experience.

As for Frick, you were the ONLY person on this board that made me feel like what I went through was insignificant. I can not believe what you had to put up with and I truly hope your next cruise is the best one you have ever had! You deserve it after that!! Good luck with whatever the outcome is.

I was talking with my TA and she stated that NCL started to receive a lot of customer service complaints and they have finally started to take action to make some changes. She stated that the biggest complaint was coming from the Dawn and that’s one of the reasons they moved her to Florida. So HOPEFULLY some of these issues will be resolved in the very near future.

B

As for Frick, you were the ONLY person on this board that made me feel like what I went through was insignificant. I can not believe what you had to put up with and I truly hope your next cruise is the best one you have ever had! You deserve it after that!! Good luck with whatever the outcome is.

Coondogg - I didn't post to make your, or anyone else's, issues appear insignificant.

I just felt that I needed to post our issues since I have read many times that people's issues are not deemed important. I know that maybe the "smoking of other than legal tobacco" may not be really "important" in the grand scheme of life; however, the balcony climbing is a big safety concern (and frightening to me) as well as not accomodating food allergies (which is a life issue).

However, what issues are important to someone, no matter how important anyone else feels about it, those issues, and feelings, should be given proper consideration. We, unfortunately, had a host of things that were just really wrong. It doesn't mean that anyone else's problems are greater or lesser. Service is service. I hear it all day from my clients as well. If they don't feel they are getting proper service, they let me know (and, no, I'm not a travel agent). Perception is key. If you make people feel like they are important to you and their issues are important, then they are more likely to work with you towards some resolution or "happy" outcome.

We go on each cruise anticipating a great time with each other (as time together is precious) and make the best of what we get.

I hope that you also have great cruises in the future! :)

Coondogg - I didn't post to make your, or anyone else's, issues appear insignificant.

I just felt that I needed to post our issues since I have read many times that people's issues are not deemed important. I know that maybe the "smoking of other than legal tobacco" may not be really "important" in the grand scheme of life; however, the balcony climbing is a big safety concern (and frightening to me) as well as not accommodating food allergies (which is a life issue).

However, what issues are important to someone, no matter how important anyone else feels about it, those issues, and feelings, should be given proper consideration. We, unfortunately, had a host of things that were just really wrong. It doesn't mean that anyone else's problems are greater or lesser. Service is service. I hear it all day from my clients as well. If they don't feel they are getting proper service, they let me know (and, no, I'm not a travel agent). Perception is key. If you make people feel like they are important to you and their issues are important, then they are more likely to work with you towards some resolution or "happy" outcome.

We go on each cruise anticipating a great time with each other (as time together is precious) and make the best of what we get.

I hope that you also have great cruises in the future! :)

Frick - I appreciate your sentiments, but please don't think those were my intentions when I left that post. I am blown away by the lack of support you were given to deal with your issues. The issues you had were LIFE THREATENING and an invasion of privacy! As much as I like NCL, I don't know if I would be able to give them another chance if I was in your shoes.

I am in sales (food actually, sorry to hear about the shellfish and egg issue!) and I would never tell a customer that I couldn't fulfill a specific request. Even if their request is absurd, I always say I will try. And the majority of the time you can find a happy medium that both you and your customer, client, etc will be happy with. The majority of the time a customer only wants someone to listen to them.

I am in sales (food actually, sorry to hear about the shellfish and egg issue!) and I would never tell a customer that I couldn't fulfill a specific request. Even if their request is absurd, I always say I will try. And the majority of the time you can find a happy medium that both you and your customer, client, etc will be happy with. The majority of the time a customer only wants someone to listen to them.

I totally agree. A sympathetic ear and some attempt of trying to work towards a resolution makes an astounding difference in a situation. I do it every day.

I really loved NCL and that's why I talked DH into the October trip. I kept telling him that it was the "lightening doesn't strike twice" theory. He has since reminded me that, in fact, it can, and does, strike twice.

But, Santa was really good to him this year to make up for my poor travel planning of 2007! :D

• 5 months later...
Perhaps someone that has an issue with Claudio under a new screen name :mad:

As you've noticed (I'm sure) that's happening a lot lately (although in this instance it goes back a few months before the current outbreak).

My who's who scorecard is looking like we're in extra innings and both teams are running out of players

I found this whole thread disturbing. After our first cruise with Claudio we were surprised and saddened to learn that he thought we hated him. Nothing of the sort! The only REAL argument Claudio and I got into was over the hibachi grill. He insisted he messed up and I insisted (and complained to the F&B mgr) that the maitre'd messed up. On this I think we will forever disagree. We argued because Claudio insisted on blaming himself and I insisted he was blameless! (yeah, it really was a backwards argument like that....)

Next time we sailed with him we brought him the cheesecake--and warned him to make SURE he got a piece or "the vultures" (fellow crew) wouldn't even leave him the box...Of course, that cruise with him was flawless--and he was glad for the cheese-cake advice (I don't know if they even left the string around the box!)

I've seen Ruth get trashed here, and Simone as well--our two all-time favorite concierges (we hope to see Ruth on the Jade in August).

Concierge is one of the toughest jobs in the world. One slip, one mistake, one smile missed, and someone on C/C is trashing him/her. It may be justifiable, maybe not. Even the butlers have it tough, but not as tough as the concierges. But the worst thing a concierge can do is not return phone calls. When we were on the Pearl, Carlos had to help his assistant move on because that was happening. When she was gone, Carlos's performance (and our opinion of him) rose like a hot-air balloon, re-assuring us that the concierges on the top ships for NCL KNOW their jobs and know how to do them well--and how to fix problems.

You see, the concierge is your go-to guy/gal--and it's an incredibly hard job to do and to balance and to keep sane. We've seen ALL of them take extended vacations to re-charge their batteries..they need it!

Perhaps someone that has an issue with Claudio under a new screen name :mad:

Yes, Dog, you sure do have that right.

I would wager a guess that if the mods banned her I.P. instead of banning identities bit by bit, you'd see an immediate cessation of unpleasant postings by some and troll-like posting by others. (Mods, that's a hint!)

Some of the humor is priceless, I have to admit, like the primer on how to treat your concierge in a different thread. Considering that I know the on-board history of this poster, that made me laugh out loud and nearly choke on my coffee. Still, I'd happily give up the laughs for the pleasure of never seeing her and her sundry identities posting here again.

(MODS... that's a BIG hint!!!)

Jana

Yes, Dog, you sure do have that right.

I would wager a guess that if the mods banned her I.P. instead of banning identities bit by bit, you'd see an immediate cessation of unpleasant postings by some and troll-like posting by others. (Mods, that's a hint!)

Some of the humor is priceless, I have to admit, like the primer on how to treat your concierge in a different thread. Considering that I know the on-board history of this poster, that made me laugh out loud and nearly choke on my coffee. Still, I'd happily give up the laughs for the pleasure of never seeing her and her sundry identities posting here again.

(MODS... that's a BIG hint!!!)

Jana

She can't help it that she does not want to hang around with trailer park inhabitants. :rolleyes:

PE

She can't help it that she does not want to hang around with trailer park inhabitants. :rolleyes:

PE

OK' date=' PE. Look, it's about time we were PC about this issue.

It's not a trailer park, it's a "manufactured home community." Sheesh.

Jana

PS - and I've meant to tell you this for some time, you have the most gorgeous, beautiful wife. At least, I [i']think[/i] it's your wife!

OK, PE. Look, it's about time we were PC about this issue.

It's not a trailer park, it's a "manufactured home community." Sheesh.

Jana

PS - and I've meant to tell you this for some time, you have the most gorgeous, beautiful wife. At least, I think it's your wife!

Thank you. Yes, that is my bride of almost 26 years.

PE

Archived