scuba in Hawaii

skogler

Any suggestions for scuba companies in Hawaii. Islands of interest will be the big island, Kuaui, Maui. Which island is best to dive on. Thanks.

Kauai is not very good for diving. Maui is my favorite. I like diving at Molokini while in Maui. I have never been to the big island so I can't comment. Sorry I can't remember the name of the company in Maui that we used.

Maui is my favorite as well. Molokini is a great dive. If you're advanced enough, check out the outside part of Molokini.

There are some good shore dives off of Lahaina. Black Rock and Old Airport are great for turtles.

If you're in Kihei check out Ed Robinson's Scuba http://www.maui-scuba.com

If you're in Lahaina check out Lahaina Divers http://www.lahainadivers.com

On Kona, check out the night dives with the Manta Rays.

On Maui I've been diving with Maui Dive Shop and Mike Severns. Maui Dive Shop is a bit of a cattle boat operation, but they really do a very good job. Mike Severns is more of a slow-go type operation, which is great for photographers, like me, so I can spend as much time as I want doing photos and never lose the group.

Dive shops on Maui launch their boats at 6:00 a.m. however, so if you are on a cruise ship you won't be going with them unless your ship is there for 2 days.

I have been in contact with "Wanna Dive" on the Big Island for our upcoming cruise in February. They "meet" at 9:00 a.m., which means I can get there in time by catching one of the first tenders off the ship.

I've never been diving on Kauai.

We dove with Lahaina Dive Shop on Maui. They have excellent, new equipment for rental, they are very knowledable and safe. They made some itinerary changes at the divers discretion to dive with whales/dolphins when we saw them. Molokini crater and the Lanai dives sites are great. Kauai does not have much different from Maui or Lanai. There are some wreck dives available on the big Island and Oahu.

If you are cruising and have just one place to dive, then I would recommend Maui. We went with Ed Robinson. Very professional and some nice extra touches. Lots of turtles, and white tip sharks. Though we actually saw more white tips while diving on Kauai. Plus, a monk seal! That was incredible given how rare they are. We saw him while doing our safety stop. Amazing what you see while doing a safety stop. We went with Bubbles Below and did drift diving there. I actually enjoyed those dives. No where near as crowded as Maui. Kona was ok. We did not like the dive operator at all - Jack's Diving Locker. They did not know how to deal with the inexperienced divers on the boat at all. Really unorganized. Did not care at all for the diving on Ohau. Saw lots of turtles and spotted rays on the wreck we dived, but the operator Captain Bruce was unprofessional. Have a great time!

Kona coast is supposed to have one of the best diving in Hawaii. I enjoyed my dives there.

In Oahu I had used Capt. Bruces and dove Makaha Cavern, Mahi wreck, SLT wreck, etc. I found them quite good.

In Kauai we went snorkeling at the end of the road going north, at Ke'e Beach. That was also good.

Archived