Anyone recently on Empress?

We recently sailed on her in September from Philly to Bermuda and had a great time. The ship is older and smaller, without question but it had some lovely features that you don't see in the larger newer ships.

I loved the intimate feeling of the Strike up the Band lounge. It is set up live a caberet (sp) theatre and we loved it, small tables with barrel style chairs rather than movie theatre style seating.

In addition the ship has lots of fabulous nooks and crannies with barrel chairs for reading positioned in front of floor to ceiling windows which you don't see on the larger ships.

The decor is somewhat dated but I didn't feel it was any more worn that you would find on the larger ships.

If you have any more specific questions please feel free to email me at tzack@optonline.net and I'll try to answer.

We were on the Empress in Oct. and we enjoyed the cruise. We like the dying breed of small ships which are not for everyone.

Overall, the ship was well maintained and clean. Some say she is dated but I had no problem with the decor, thought it was rather tasteful compared to some of the glitz on other ships.

Cabins were smaller than what we've had on another ship comparable in size but was certainly more than adequate with lots of shelves for storage. Bathroom typical small one but again, shelves for toiletries. Bedding was quite nice. Cabin was always made up and towels refreshed without ever seeing the steward.

We thought the food in the maining dining room was on par with Celebrity. Wait staff very attentive. Many people complain about never seeing the head waiter. Ours spent time at our table EVERY single night. The breakfast and lunch buffets had a wide selection and I don't understand people complaining. Only time we had a problem finding a seat was on embarkation day when everyone was there at the same time. Our waiter from the PM was a supervisor so anytime he saw us he made sure to ask if we needed anything and took care of it. Nice views 3/4 of the way around while dining.

Midnight buffet was not much and they could certainly do away with it. But then I don't see any reason for midnight buffets, good or not so good.

I read that someone said the public areas were crowded since it was a small ship, unlike the big ships. Didn't understand that because it's all relative, small ship less people, big ship more people. Anyway, I can't say it was crowded. Plenty of elevators. Shops were typical ship shops selling same types of things, good for browsing on sea days.

There were some good entertainers, i.e.comedians. The singers and dancers were also very good I just didn't care for WHAT they did. However, friends of ours loved what they did, so it's all very subjective.

The show lounge did not have adequate seating so you had to go very early to find any seat at all. Sight line was obstucted in many places.

The promenade deck is wonderful if you want a quiet place to walk , read or just sit and watch the sea. Never had a problem finding somewhere to sit on the pool deck and didn't run into any chair hogs. Overall, the nicest group of pax we sailed with, no loud, rude or obnoxious people.:)

We found all the staff to be attentive and friendly. We met the captain (Gunnar Tolar)at various affairs and he has a very quick sense of humor. CD very personable and everyone loves him, name escapes me at the moment. CDs are not high on my list of priorities, for me, they're just there.

Overall, we loved the Empress and are very sorry that she's leaving the fleet.

NOW...someone else can come along and disagree with everything I've said and say the Empress is one of worst ships ever. Reviews are all so subjective and driven by many factors, mostly personal perspective, likes and dislikes as well as expectations so it's up to you to decide how to take a review.

Hi PR Cruisers,

We shall be on the Empress OTS for the third time, in January. Our last cruise was a year ago, so I can't report on the latest "condition" of the ship. But, believe me, if we felt it was going downhill, we wouldn't have booked her again. The crew was always very friendly and caring. We shall miss her!

Helen

Archived