What is Belize rainy season???

bearswife

I want to go cave tubing but I heard if the water is too high they may cancel it. Plus, I heard the hike to get there can be pretty muddy and slippery. I know its a rainforest, but, do they have a rainy season? We are going 1st week of January. Thanks

We will be in Belize in January 2008 also--come what come may, for two weeks.

"The wet season runs . . . from mid-June to November in the north. November to February is a transitional period, with the year's coolest temperatures and a limited amount of rain. The true dry season is from February to April."--Lonely Planet, Belize, 2005, p. 222.

The high water would be anticipated in and around October--but these are the tropics. We anticipate very comfortable weather in January--certainly it was when we visited Quintana Roo (about two hundred miles to the north) in January, but rather uncomfortably hot in May.

We will be in Belize in January 2008 also--come what come may, for two weeks.

"The wet season runs . . . from mid-June to November in the north. November to February is a transitional period, with the year's coolest temperatures and a limited amount of rain. The true dry season is from February to April."--Lonely Planet, Belize, 2005, p. 222.

The high water would be anticipated in and around October--but these are the tropics. We anticipate very comfortable weather in January--certainly it was when we visited Quintana Roo (about two hundred miles to the north) in January, but rather uncomfortably hot in May.

Thank you. I guess January is good to go! :D

We lived in Panama, not too far from Belize, for 2 years and I can attest that the dry season does start in December and runs about 4 months. January should be a great time of year for tubing. I heard the opposite of tubing in April, that the water can be too low but I don't believe they'd cancel it even then. Everyone just accomodates the low water level but lifting their behinds at low points.;) We plan on going in February, and sad to say:o , I think that cave tubing and the zip line will be one of the highlights of my life.

Have a great time.:)

Personally I will be lifting my "behind" at COLD points--I don't mind getting ripped to shreds, whether by rocks or bats doesn't matter, ordinarily; but if the water temperature isn't over 80º F., I am going to have to ask the magical Major Tom to roll out some water heaters upstream. And he would probably do it, too! Or at least roll a nice tractor tire tube down for me so that I can ride high above the water--and nearer to the bats and spiders. Hmm. :confused:

Canceling cave tubing in Belize would be about as likely as closing schools during a blizzard in Maine, I should think--NOBODY WOULD EVEN DREAM OF IT! Even in Newton, MA, I had to tunnel my way through snow to my high school--yes, uphill both ways, as they say--AND be there by 7:20 A.M. OR ELSE! Of course we were allowed to start home at 3:50 P.M. when the school day ended so we would have time to get home and do our homework . . . . So we spent a lot of time thinking of the poor children in Maine, who REALLY had it bad . . . .

Fortunately we in Swampland have had full and active lives so far, as teachers and social workers and usually amateur but occasionally professional photographers, so this may not be the "Major Event" in our lives that it will be for some of you, but I certainly expect that all of us are going to have a LOT of fun! :D

And ziplines have to be cheaper and safer than helicopter rides or ATVs, anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Just like Maine to go soft on me after all these years! Still, any kid can grow up to be President--"Better the child should be safe than be educated," as Superintendent Mark Eastman might say. "Who needs to pronounce 'noocalar' properly, when he's GOT the bomb?"

But just yesterday a concerned citizen warned us not to think of using cave-tubing.com when it rains in Belize, as evidently rain can make water deeper. My personal response to that was deleted, so you will never know what that was, but I guess I have been wrong all around. And if THAT is true, I advise everyone to stay home and stop going on cruises. Use your cruise money on new parkas and snowshoes--help the Chinese economy! :D

Archived