Serena Dec 17

jeepdawg

Our first cruise is next month, on the Costa Serena! We're excited, despite a trying time with our TA (our booking was confirmed, cancelled, rebooked for more money, refunded, booked, and resolved all in the course of a week)

This is a roll call of sorts, because the roll call forum was pretty dead, lol. We're in our mid-20s and looking to have a blast. Already, I've learned a lot from this forum, and I've ordered the X1 package. Hopefully, I'll save some money doing it that way!

Anyways, let's talk it up!

Happy Cruising!!

@Angelina46,

Not a problem, we should have tons of pics of the ship and the ports of call. We're doing an excursion at each port, I'll list them here:

Excursion

Barcelona, Spain

GAUDI'S MASTERPIECES

Casablanca, Morocco

TOUR OF CASABLANCA, HASSAN II MOSQUE

St. Cruz de Tenerife

PUEBLOCHICO AND THE OROTAVA VALLEY

Funchal

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE EXPEDITION

Malaga, Spain

HORSERIDING IN THE MOUNTAINS OF MIJAS

If anyone has done these excursions please, let me know if they're worth the money! Or if any of these ports would be better done sans excursion!

Happy Cruising!

We're on the Serena Jan. 29. How did you book your excursions? My computer will not let me do it, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

You're absolutely right, the roll calls for Serena have absolutely no action out there.

@MuscleGrandma,

I received my booking number from the TA, but it took about 48 hours after finalizing the booking for the website to work. Basically, any changes to the booking causes a 24 hold on your ability to work with the website. We heard from Costa that they update their databases at midnight, so that's the reason.

Regardless, the way we booked the shore excursions was via the web. DW hates forms, so I do all this type of stuff. I created a profile on the website, and logged into the website (top right corner of the homepage) and once logged in, we clicked, "My Costa." That takes you to a page where you can enter your booking number under, "Personalize your cruise."

If your booking number is good and the stars are aligned, that will take you to the area where you can look at the shore excursions and add them to your on-board account.

As I understand it, nothing's charged until you're aboard the ship, and you can cancel your excursion all the way up until 8pm on the 1st day of the cruise.

I'm still investigating whether excursions or a DIY approach will fit us better.

The website is badly engineered, so don't get frustrated. Calling Costa may help, but it seems they just use the website and talk to you on the phone, LOL.

Happy Cruising!

jeepdawg,

We have done all of your Ports of Call at least once, here is what we did:

BARCELONA. We took the Costa Barcelona Sites / Flamenca Show - worth the money gives you a very quick insight into Spain. Second time we took the shuttle bus and did our own thing (Internet is a blessing), shopping sightseeing.

CASABLANCA: We did the Marrekesh tour (13 hours of torture) never again, the tour you have booked seemed to be the one that was most liked by our fellow passengers. Be a bit wary if you walk alone in Casablanca.

SANTA CRUZ: We did this tour the first time, enjoyed it but later found out that we could have done it cheaper either by booking locally or taking a taxi. Second time, we just spent the time in this old colonial style town, very cheap, enjoyed it.

FUCHAL: I personally do not like doing Jeep / 4 Wheel drive safaris, I think you do not see much of the country, the off-road aspect tears up the countryside, I can always take the thrillrides at home. Off my soap boy now, Madeira, beautiful place, the flowers (try to get to the main market if you can). First time we did the Costa tour CABO GIRÃO AND CAMARA DE LOBOS, very good but could be done cheaper by taxi. Second time to took the Red Open Top Double Decker Tour, run from the Promenade for 10 Euros - well worth the money.

MALAGA: Both times we took the shuttle bus and did our own thing, Malaga is a very elegant city.

I try to prioritise things:

Length of stay

Have I or will I visit that Port again

Cruisecritic reviews and views

Local Transport

Info on the Net

Collate as much info as possible and then decide Costa Tour or DIY, some times it is good to get away on ones own and not be part of the herded sheep ;) .

Whatever do you ENJOY IT.

Ron

jeepdawg,

We have done all of your Ports of Call at least once, here is what we did:

BARCELONA. We took the Costa Barcelona Sites / Flamenca Show - worth the money gives you a very quick insight into Spain. Second time we took the shuttle bus and did our own thing (Internet is a blessing), shopping sightseeing.

-- I saw that Flamenca show excursion, it looked cool. This one was a tough one, but Gaudi's work seems worth the tour.

CASABLANCA: We did the Marrekesh tour (13 hours of torture) never again, the tour you have booked seemed to be the one that was most liked by our fellow passengers. Be a bit wary if you walk alone in Casablanca.

-- Yes, and that Marrekesh tour was like 7 hours in a coach, right? we read that and said, "Uh uh.." We're going for the short (4 hr) excursion, and I speak Arabic, so we'll do the souks and local thing after that.

SANTA CRUZ: We did this tour the first time, enjoyed it but later found out that we could have done it cheaper either by booking locally or taking a taxi. Second time, we just spent the time in this old colonial style town, very cheap, enjoyed it.

-- I think we'll take your advice on this one. I was looking for a port to not do an excursion, :).

FUCHAL: I personally do not like doing Jeep / 4 Wheel drive safaris, I think you do not see much of the country, the off-road aspect tears up the countryside, I can always take the thrillrides at home. Off my soap boy now, Madeira, beautiful place, the flowers (try to get to the main market if you can). First time we did the Costa tour CABO GIRÃO AND CAMARA DE LOBOS, very good but could be done cheaper by taxi. Second time to took the Red Open Top Double Decker Tour, run from the Promenade for 10 Euros - well worth the money.

-- Well, as you can tell by my name, I don't have similar feelings about off-roading and safaris. I'm looking forward to this one, and I'll let you know how it went. Plus, at only 4 hrs long, we have time to tour around.

MALAGA: Both times we took the shuttle bus and did our own thing, Malaga is a very elegant city.

-- We'll be in Malaga for Christmas. I don't think anything will be open, so we're doing the tour. What do you think?

I try to prioritise things:

Length of stay

Have I or will I visit that Port again

Cruisecritic reviews and views

Local Transport

Info on the Net

Collate as much info as possible and then decide Costa Tour or DIY, some times it is good to get away on ones own and not be part of the herded sheep ;) .

Whatever do you ENJOY IT.

Ron

Thanks for your input, Ron! I appreciate it and can't wait for your responses!

Nick

Archived