First Nile river cruise-Which company?

Animated-one

Hi there,

This is for smeyer418.....

1. Can you get a discount on Gate 1 trips cost for being A.A.R.P. member? (Not sure which company offered this, but somewhere I read you can get a discount.

2. Did you asked Gate 1 if you could be up-grade to the Mena House instead of the hotels they were offering if you paid the difference(s)?

3. Does Gate 1 charge a fee if you deviate from their itinerary, for instance, if you wanted to stay an extra day?

I did look at Grand Circle Travel again, and I do like their policy that when you book a tour with them you are locked into todays prices! Regardless of what the gas surcharge does with the airlines, hotels, land excursions, etc. goes up!!!! BUT, they are also more expensive!....Looks like we will have to wait until the October 2008 itineraries come out for Gate 1, which should be any day now before we can make our finally decision;)

Hi there,

This is for smeyer418.....

1. Can you get a discount on Gate 1 trips cost for being A.A.R.P. member? (Not sure which company offered this, but somewhere I read you can get a discount. not that I know of but I am really not sure. Gate 1 didn't seem to offer any discounts we booked early and got 300 or so off a person it paud for the upgrade

2. Did you asked Gate 1 if you could be up-grade to the Mena House instead of the hotels they were offering if you paid the difference(s)?

We asked to be changed in another city and the answer was no. You don't know how much they paid anyway for any of the parts. Also the Mena house is no where near any of the hotels they stay at and it would be a big hassle for them to pick you up. As I said we went in 6 days early there was no charge for the charge(even though they did say if it increased the airfare we would have been more)...We only did a day room at the Mena house but loved it

3. Does Gate 1 charge a fee if you deviate from their itinerary, for instance, if you wanted to stay an extra day? see above the answer is no as long as its at the beginning or end(not in the middle) You do however lose the pick up or the drop off at the airport if you come in early or leave late. As I said the hotel we were staying in off the plan arranged for us to be met and driven to central Cairo from the airport for 65 LE's....about 12US. I am from NYC 12US gets you about 2 miles....so the person was happy when I gave him $20US and so was I...

see above

it doesn't look like GAte 1 is included in the discounts AARP provides

http://www.travelocity.com/AARP/Tours?currentPg=vac&Service=AARP&subNavPg=

Count me as one (of at least several) who are grateful for your posts and your information on here.

Thanks for answering questions and sharing your knowledge.:D

You are welcome and you ask good questions. One trip doesn't make me an expert but our trip worked really well. Luck was with us as the weather(i.e. smog) in Cairo was not as bad as sometimes. We had great guides who made the trip memorable.

I booked the 15 day tour through Gate 1 -- 15 day Egypt with Red Sea -- which after some of your much-appreciated advice here, and some looking around on my own, was cheaper than the 8 day I had been looking at!

Airfare to Egypt, a couple days in Cairo, 7 day cruise on the Nile, 3 days at an all-inclusive resort on the Red Sea in Hurghada, the dreaded single supplement (which actually wasn't too bad compared to a "regular" cruise), all the flights inside Egypt, and a bunch of optional tours.

I thought the price was pretty reasonable (in case anyone really needs to know, it was $2,400.00). And I leave two months (!) from tomorrow, on Feb 6th.

And, in case anyone wants to know, here's a link if you think you might be interested:

http://www.nilerivercruise.com/view_nile_tour.cfm?npid=10565

And, I shopped all day and got almost all of my Christmas shopping finished today!! Do I feel great? You Bet!! :D

I'm so glad you have booked your Nile river cruise! I kinda jealous because we can't go until October 2008 (going "Around the Horn" on March 1st.

Still waiting for Gate 1 to come out with their new rates for Oct. 2008, I hope their rates don't go up much! Unfortunately, we can only get away for 10 days, maybe 12 days tops! We both still work, and it is hard to be taking sooo much time off (not to mention the money)!

Seafun, when you get back maybe you can write about your adventures, especially the do's and don't's of a Nile river cruise. I for one, WOULD LOVE to hear about them!

Wishing all the best in your travels!:cool:

P.s. Did you go though "nilerivercruises.com" and not directly with Gate 1?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Debbie you mention Debbie Senters of Casual Cairo Detours? If so, please share any info. I'm currently communicating with her for a tour in Cairo to cover some things that are not on the "usual" Cairo tours (since most of those will be covered in my group tour).

My husband and I used Casual Cairo Detours in Oct. and Nov. of this year. We were on an A&K tour of Egypt and Jordan and flew to Cairo a few days early to get over jet lag. We hired Debbie to show us around and we had a wonderful time. We knew we would have an Egyptologist during the A&K tour, but Debbie can arrange for one if you want. We went out to Dashur and saw the Red Pyramid and the Bent pyramid, something most tour companies don't do. This is where we rode a camel and had our pictires taken. There are very few tourists there, and the area is controlled by the police, who Debbie is very friendly with. We were greeted with big smiles. We also went to Giza with her and took pictures; she knows all the best spots. We saw places that our Egyptologist didn't bother with. Another day we went to the City of the Dead and saw the Quait Bey Mosque and visited a glass blowing factory where they used recycled glass. She also took us to the Khan el Khallili, and knew the best vendors, and moved through the maze of shops like a pro. No one bothered us, they all seemed to know her and talked to her. One of the best times we had with her was when she took us on a sunset felluca sail. She had beer and wine and hors d'oeuvres. The weather was beautiful and it was truly a great experience.

The car and driver, Tarik, were both first class. He spoke excellent English and has a great sense of humor.

After our A&K tour we eventually boarded an Oceania cruise in Istanbul that had an overnight in Alexandria. Debbie and Tarik met us at the dock, along with all the stuff I had bought in the Khan. We drove out to El Alamein and visited the war museum and cemetaries, and then returned to Alex and did a city tour. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with both Debbie and Tarik. Also, my D.H. managed to leave a camera battery in Tarik's car that last day, and we received it in the mail shortly after arriving home.

I know this is a somewhat long post, but if you have a chance to do a tour with Debbie, you won't be disappointed.

Is the Debbie you mention Debbie Senters of Casual Cairo Detours? If so, please share any info. I'm currently communicating with her for a tour in Cairo to cover some things that are not on the "usual" Cairo tours (since most of those will be covered in my group tour).

My husband and I used Casual Cairo Detours in Oct. and Nov. of this year. We were on an A&K tour of Egypt and Jordan and flew to Cairo a few days early to get over jet lag. We hired Debbie to show us around and we had a wonderful time. We knew we would have an Egyptologist during the A&K tour, but Debbie can arrange for one if you want. We went out to Dashur and saw the Red Pyramid and the Bent pyramid, something most tour companies don't do. This is where we rode a camel and had our pictires taken. There are very few tourists there, and the area is controlled by the police, who Debbie is very friendly with. We were greeted with big smiles. We also went to Giza with her and took pictures; she knows all the best spots. We saw places that our Egyptologist didn't bother with. Another day we went to the City of the Dead and saw the Quait Bey Mosque and visited a glass blowing factory where they used recycled glass. She also took us to the Khan el Khallili, and knew the best vendors, and moved through the maze of shops like a pro. No one bothered us, they all seemed to know her and talked to her. One of the best times we had with her was when she took us on a sunset felluca sail. She had beer and wine and hors d'oeuvres. The weather was beautiful and it was truly a great experience.

The car and driver, Tarik, were both first class. He spoke excellent English and has a great sense of humor.

After our A&K tour we eventually boarded an Oceania cruise in Istanbul that had an overnight in Alexandria. Debbie and Tarik met us at the dock, along with all the stuff I had bought in the Khan. We drove out to El Alamein and visited the war museum and cemetaries, and then returned to Alex and did a city tour. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with both Debbie and Tarik. Also, my D.H. managed to leave a camera battery in Tarik's car that last day, and we received it in the mail shortly after arriving home.

I know this is a somewhat long post, but if you have a chance to do a tour with Debbie, you won't be disappointed.

LOL we were there at about the same time. We did a tour with Debbie the day before you and Tariq went to El Alamein. We did the breakfast at the Pyramid tour with Debbie as well. It was very memorable as was the Police Camel(#17) at the Saqqara/Dashur Pryamids and I agree that Debbie doesn't disappoint.

Sid and Marian

Hi Sid,

I haven't had a chance to see your pictures yet ( right now I'm playing hooky from the holiday baking), but once this holiday season is over...I will. I also plan to upload pictures to an internet site, but haven't decided which one. Is the one you used easy?

Glad you enjoyed Egypt; we did too. Can't imagine anyone not liking it, people were so friendly, nice, and polite.

Laurie & Dave

Hi Sid,

I haven't had a chance to see your pictures yet ( right now I'm playing hooky from the holiday baking), but once this holiday season is over...I will. I also plan to upload pictures to an internet site, but haven't decided which one. Is the one you used easy?

Glad you enjoyed Egypt; we did too. Can't imagine anyone not liking it, people were so friendly, nice, and polite.

Laurie & Dave

Yes but recently I have also been using Walgreen's who has coupons that make it very inexpensive(buy 25 get 25 free) 33% off 8 x 10's and all prints.

Shutterfly is easy. I took over 1300 pictures and about 40 small movie clips...I have real good pictures of the drinking camel at Dashur. Other people like other sites better. But Walgreens is cheap and fast. I uploaded a number of 8 x 10's and I was notified within 15 minutes that they were ready. Its two minutes from the house so I can get large copies inexpensively(with 33% off- its cheaper than printing them myself) and faster than my own printer(and much better quality).

I had about 100 pictures printed out on Shutterfly at .12 cents each....

we loved Egypt and its people...

here is Marain Debbie and I and the second pictures shows the only animal Tariq will ride.

IMG_3054.jpg.f7212a503868d28bec2aef36ce314aad.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg.87b50050c49051eddf6aec6ef795d4f4.jpg

thanks for the positive feedback, I have booked with Debbie!

I'm feeling that Christmas gratitude :D and wanted to thank all of you who have contributed here.

I booked the airfare to JFK today -- getting there at 3:35 pm, a non-stop from Seattle, for the 6:30 departure on Egypt Air. Hopefully almost three hours will be enough to transfer me and (the hideously inadequate limitation of one :( ) suitcase to Terminal 4...

Coming home I'll have 3 and a half hours, in case the EgyptAir flight is tardy, to make my flight back to Seattle.

Now that Christmas is upon us, I hardly even have the time for reading the guidebooks. At least I had the good sense to ask my family for gift cards to book sellers for Christmas presents! :o

Thanks again everyone for your support and contributions! Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas! :D

Hi Animated - One

After i read your Messages i send to you the following short brief prices and websiets .

i recommend for you the following Nile Cruises

1- http://www.travcotels.com

2- Traveline-eg.com

the Prices below for one night per person with three meals for each person

45$USD 4stars deluxe Cruises

55$USD 5stars Cruises

65$USD 5stars Deluxe Cruises

the hotels that i recommend

Le Mredian Pyramids

Movenpick Pyramids

Hilton Hotels

Good Luck

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Two years ago we used A&K (Abercrombie and Kent) it was fabulous but it is high end. However, all things considered we believe we got more bang for our buck using A&K than any of the others. The ship and the crew were delightful, the food was outstanding and we saw every thing we wanted to see on our first cruise. I still remember hearing the calls for worship resounding from the hills as we cruised peacefully up the Nile. Great memories:)

• 4 weeks later...
Animated one,

I can totally understand where you're coming from! We just returned from a 12 day trip to Egypt. 4 nights Cairo, 2 luxor, 4 night Nile cruise, then 1 night Cairo (Heliopolis by the airport). We went through Ya'lla Tours. We actually went through our local Travel agent who went through them. They have a state side office in Oregon and their main office is in Cairo. We were able to have our own Egyptologist that traveled with us throughout the entire trip. They have different levels of traveling and you can pick and choose (your riverboat, your hotels), from whatever level you want. I have to say that this was one top-notch company. They were there from the time our plane touched down in Cairo to the time our flight took off on the last day. Private drivers every step of the way (very nice vans also). If you'd like more information, let me know, otherwise I'll keep rambling on... ~Travelbugs

Travelbugs,

We are also looking at going with Ya'lla tours. Any info on them would be great. Which level did you book (silver-diamond). How were your guides? You an email me at ecmorris@hotmail.com

Thanks....Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Neither the King of Thebes nor the Queen of Sheba are 5 star boats. They are the Gate 1 B ships. The 5 star ships on Gate 1 are the Movenpick Lilly or Lotus. We did the later and they were 5 star. We paid the extra for the first class tour and had the best guides and a group of 8 nice people....It really was like a private tour and worth the extra money.

Most of the people got sick--- the Mummy's revenge(not my wife or me) but we stuck with the bottled water. One gentlemen was drinking the tap water and claiming he never got sick. He got sick.

Returned yesterday from 12 days in Egypt - 5 nights on the Nile Dolphin plus 1 at Isis Island in Aswan and 6 nights at Cairo Marriott. Really loved the Nile Dolphin. Apparently there are 3 classes of Nile cruises - 5 star, 5 star deluxe, and 5 star super delux. The Nile Dolphin was a 5 star deluxe. (www.niledolphin.com) The rooms were spacious, buffet meals had a wide variety of foods, and there was a "show" each night. We went via Nile Blue Tours and had an amazing and wonderful time.

Archived