Bad DH left his wallet on board

trisha79

Big OOPs, we sailed the LOS Nov3rd-Nov10th. After the cruise we went on the Everglades excursion and the to a motel for the night. It wasn't till we got to the motel that we realized he had left his wallet in the safe with the door open back on the boat, it was supposed to be the last thing he would grab on his way out.

I had his birth certificate and passport so he was OK to get home, thank goodness. He lost about $400 cash and his drivers license and Social Insurance Card. We called RCCL as soon as we figured it out, but they said it would take a few days to log all the lost an found items. We called and called every few days and they kept giving us the run around. They hadn't inventoried all the lost and found yet, the person in charge was on holidays, ect. They always promised to phone back in a couple days but never did, we kept calling them. Finally today Nov 26th, they came to the conclusion it was not in the lost and found and has never turned up.

What do you do, lesson learned.

That is such a tough lesson to learn and a pretty big loss of $ as well! My main concern would be the fact that someone has his SS# (I presume a Social Insurance Card is similar to our Social Security Card?). Does he have any protection against loss of that? What an unfortunate mistake. :(

There is no protection for this, we had to report his SIN as missing, and they will put it on record as missing and reissue him another #. It's quite a bit of paperwork though. Pretty scarey that his picture ID and Sin # are out there

It's pretty awful when something like that isn't turned in when found. There are some mean people out there, and I would like to think none of them are on cruise ships. :(

On an unrelated topic, I was in Nanaimo for the first time on a Celebrity cruise last month. You are in such a beautiful area! :)

I feel so bad for DH as I had my pocketbook stolen in Chicago on the day I was returning to NY so I know how this feels & what you have to go through to undo everything. Thank goodness at that time this way before you had to should ID to get on a plane & someone else had my ticket. I thought one time that I left my enire bag of jeweley in the safe as it is black like the inside of the safe & always pushed towards the back. Thank goodness I did not. On my future cruises I intend to make a last minute check list & you can bet that the safe will be at the top of the list.

It's pretty awful when something like that isn't turned in when found. There are some mean people out there, and I would like to think none of them are on cruise ships. :(

On an unrelated topic, I was in Nanaimo for the first time on a Celebrity cruise last month. You are in such a beautiful area! :)

Well the mean people were on that cruise ship as the OP said he left it on the boat, hey maybe one of the lovely honest crew members took it

Big OOPs, we sailed the LOS Nov3rd-Nov10th. After the cruise we went on the Everglades excursion and the to a motel for the night. It wasn't till we got to the motel that we realized he had left his wallet in the safe with the door open back on the boat, it was supposed to be the last thing he would grab on his way out.

I had his birth certificate and passport so he was OK to get home, thank goodness. He lost about $400 cash and his drivers license and Social Insurance Card. We called RCCL as soon as we figured it out, but they said it would take a few days to log all the lost an found items. We called and called every few days and they kept giving us the run around. They hadn't inventoried all the lost and found yet, the person in charge was on holidays, ect. They always promised to phone back in a couple days but never did, we kept calling them. Finally today Nov 26th, they came to the conclusion it was not in the lost and found and has never turned up.

In the future,do what my wife and I do: just before leaving, search the whole room -- even under the beds -- and of course, in the closets and in any drawers (this includes the opened safe) to make sure you haven't left anything. It would have been nice if Royal Caribbeanhad returned the wallet and all the contents, but one cannot always depend on this to happen. Bravo you had the passport and birth certificate, as the Drivers License and Social Security Card can be replaced (although I learned when I was pick-pocketed in London england in 1966, Social Security did not want people carrying the original cards). As for the money... well that's an expensive lesson (which I learned as well -- in my case, I learned to keep my wallet and keys in my front pockets). :(

I have come to the conclusion that anything left in your room either goes to the person cleaning the room or in the trash. I left a little wiglet and my camera USB cord the first time and last cruise I left my new prescription sunglasses, after several phone calls for these items I gave up!!!:mad: I know I should have looked closer but we were the first off the ship and I guess I was half asleep :rolleyes:. That :) was only two times and I have been on many cruises. Sorry about your loss.

There is no protection for this, we had to report his SIN as missing, and they will put it on record as missing and reissue him another #. It's quite a bit of paperwork though. Pretty scarey that his picture ID and Sin # are out there

You can call all three credit companies and request that anytime someone tries to open credit that that they must contact your husband first aand give them a special password. I dont know what they call it but the credit company's can help you. Once this is done if he wants to open a credit card or bank loan it would cost around $25.00 each time but it is a small price to pay to prevent identity theft.

In the future,do what my wife and I do: just before leaving, search the whole room -- even under the beds -- and of course, in the closets and in any drawers (this includes the opened safe) to make sure you haven't left anything. It would have been nice if Royal Caribbeanhad returned the wallet and all the contents, but one cannot always depend on this to happen. Bravo you had the passport and birth certificate, as the Drivers License and Social Security Card can be replaced (although I learned when I was pick-pocketed in London england in 1966, Social Security did not want people carrying the original cards). As for the money... well that's an expensive lesson (which I learned as well -- in my case, I learned to keep my wallet and keys in my front pockets). :(

we call it "the sweep". i always used to leave something behind - this has helped us a lot! :)

I have come to the conclusion that anything left in your room either goes to the person cleaning the room or in the trash.

Unfortunately I would have to agree with you. Left several prescription meds in the med cabinet. Never heard a word back. Too much trouble for them.

Jimmers:)

After the passengers start leaving all the room doors are left open so the stewards can work fast. Anyone walking down the hallway would have a chance to check out the safe.

Sorry it happened, but it is an expensive lesson. We do a sweep as well and as we have gotten older have made a check list.

So sorry that happened, good thing you had the passport!

When I was flying with DD this summer I had her birth certificate since I needed proof that she was under 2 to fly on Southwest for free. After we landed in Baltimore I realized it was gone, called the airline and nobody found it. Luckilly they took a faxed copy of her immunization records from her doctor as proof of age on the return trip. To my amazement, several weeks later we got an envelope in the mail from Southwest with her birth certificate, no note or message, just the certificate. I hope you have a similar result!

That is SUCH a suckie ending to a fabulous trip huh?! :o We also always to the "ransack search" before we leave the room in the morning. I also always bring a copy of my packing list and add to it as we make purchases and so on and when it is time to pack up I check everything off so I know everything is accounted for. We also ONLY bring the bare nessesities when it comes to credit cards and so on! My DH cleans his wallet out except for the few "must haves" and we have been lucky to have never left anything behind. I can't say the same thing for our cruising friends! I guess those stateroom attendants get better "tips" than we think!! ;) :eek:

Same thing happened with me except it was my cell phone I left behind! I called Rccl every few days and was told “ the lost in found from your voyage has not been turned in yet” and then about 4 weeks after the cruise I got a call saying the phone was not found! I know I left it on the ship because when I got home my dad canceled my cell phone number and to my surprise there were 4 calls placed to a country called the United Emirates. And that was not me because I don’t even know where the United Emirates is! So I’m think some crew member found it and called home. :mad:

You can call all three credit companies and request that anytime someone tries to open credit that that they must contact your husband first aand give them a special password. I dont know what they call it but the credit company's can help you. Once this is done if he wants to open a credit card or bank loan it would cost around $25.00 each time but it is a small price to pay to prevent identity theft.

Some credit card companies will do this for you, if you have one that does identity theft prevention. Our Citi card did this when my purse was stolen. I didn't have my Citi card it in at the time, but they still did a monitoring of all 3 credit agencies, and notified me any time anyone applied for anything.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It just makes you sick to your stomach when you realize that you could become one of those identity theft commercials! I hope everything works out well.

Wife and I traveled with DD and adopted best friend of DD. First time cruisers upgraded to 9544 J.S.. Awesome!!!! Totally enjoyed the cruise. Staff, food, drinks, etc. GREAT. Returned to car to find out my pda phone case was on my hip, phone gone!! Thought maybe I bumped something and it fell out or something similar. While we were calling verizon to suspend service our daughter tells us hers was missing about half way through cruise. Great time to tell us. Called R.C.C.L. while on turnpike, same story. Three to five days to check lost and found, never heard anything. About a month later Verizon called and said someone bought my DD's phone on ebay and were in the local store trying to activate it. He stated that it happens three or four times weekly. Upon arriving home we were showing pictures of our trip to friends, and had taken pictures of our room right before we left, and the my phone was on the towel rack in the bathroom. We had to laugh. Phone was insured so no big deal, just presentations, pictures, 100 or so songs, and the time to replace all client, and family info. I was just shocked by the lack of response by R.C.C.L.. And the kicker, the DD's room attendant gave the two seventeen year old girls about 5 bottles of Moet champagne and a ton of coronas. Unfortunately they didn't give them to us. He has also been in contact with them since, trying to fly them to his country for a visit. I say all of this to say, Enjoy your vacation, but be aware of things that can happen, and the fact R.C.C.L. or probably any other cruise line are not going to be much help if something does occur. Heed the warnings and steps to mitigate such problems posted by the informative people on this board. Happy Informed Cruising.

I have come to the conclusion that anything left in your room either goes to the person cleaning the room or in the trash. I left a little wiglet and my camera USB cord the first time and last cruise I left my new prescription sunglasses, after several phone calls for these items I gave up!!!:mad: I know I should have looked closer but we were the first off the ship and I guess I was half asleep :rolleyes:. That :) was only two times and I have been on many cruises. Sorry about your loss.

I have to tell a good story here......we left a video camera on the Mariner when we finished our cruise. It was in the stateroom on the couch, with no tag or anything with our name. We realized this on the way back to Orlando and called RCI in Miami while driving. They said they would contact us in 2 weeks to tell us if they found it; and then arrange shipping if need be. The next day, we got a call from RCI at Port Canaveral - our room steward turned in the camera, the port staff tracked us down through the person house/pet sitting at our home, and we were able to pick up the camera at Port Canaveral.

Yes - our mistake for leaving it - but it turned out well. We did send a snail-mail letter to RCI commending everyone and got a nice response signed by (if not actually penned by) Adam Goldstein.

Cruise companies NEVER find anything!!! we forgot a cellphone right on the night-stand and they never returned it. My mom (while she was on the Elation) Forgot her shoes under the bed and they never gave it back to her either... I wonder if the stewards just keep everything they find??? my God!!!!

Sorry for your loss. I lost a beautiful tanzanite and diamond bracelet on my last cruise. I realized it was gone about 10 minutes after it fell off my arm. I never found it and it was never turned in to lost and found. Luckily it was insured. Called the insurance company from next port and they said to get a formal copy of lost and found report and they would pay to replace it. We got lucky.

As the other posters have said contact the credit bureaus and have them put a note on your old SS #. We have been hit twice in the last month with Chase Credit card cash advances from cards we never had. Someone opened up cards in our name. Luckily we didn't have to pay anything but it is scary to think someone has your info.

Ann

Archived