Caribbean winter 2007 menus

njs

Just wondering if anyone who has just returned from a Caribbean sailing has a copy of the dinner menus for this season. I wonder if they are the same as the ones posted for last season. I'm trying to decide which night to book the specialty restaurant:) I know some say to do it on the last night, but the toga night is soooo much fun (the only time I'll ever get my DH and sons in togas:D ) so I want to make sure I book it for a night that has less appealing dinner offerings

I'll be happy to post the detailed dinner menu again after we're coming back in December... until then just think about all the mouth-watering wonderful creations! YUMMY!!

:D

Thanks - what date is your cruise

We leave on Dec 22 so was hoping to see the menus b4 then:)

Yeah I think that would be so helpful for everyone! If everyone is like me I like to know ahead of time!!!:) I will try to take pics of the menu as well for you..and take pictures of the ship and other things. I have searched for pictures and such on these blogs but can't find anything!

Andy you are SOOOO helpful though with everything!!! Can u believe we are leaving soon!!!! Hey quick question..what can we do to avoid longggg lines during embarkment? any suggestions?

We're not leaving until mid-December but if there are no menus by then, I'll do it. I assume that you just bring your camera to dinner every night and take photos there at your table? Is there an easier way?

I think that's the easiest way (and somehow make a notation of the order of the days:D )

Many thanks

We'll be going December 9 thru 16... Plan of having a detailed review, menues, etc. posted here on Monday, December 17... I hope this works for all of you...

nj:

I know... the days are almost in the single digits!! YEAH!!!!

Be there early... that's how we always beat the rush, except of our first Costa cruise where we did not know better.

We're usually there around 10:30, get rid of all the luggage, park the car, etc. By the time I was walking from the garage to the terminal last time, we got straight through security, checked-in and were on board within minutes. That was the fastest I have ever experienced. No lines, no waiting, nothing! Absolutely great!

So best advice.. be there early.

I will be a travelling female single. You seem to have been on several cruises, are there many singles on board? Is the current 220? I have not received my docs yet. should I be concerned? dO WE PAY IN eUROS OR dollars? I'd love any info you can give me. I haven't been on a Costa ship since the 70's. Usually sail Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. Look forward to any suggestions. Bea

I will be a travelling female single. You seem to have been on several cruises, are there many singles on board? Is the current 220? I have not received my docs yet. should I be concerned? dO WE PAY IN eUROS OR dollars? I'd love any info you can give me. I haven't been on a Costa ship since the 70's. Usually sail Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. Look forward to any suggestions. Bea

Caribbean cruises are in us dollars

It wouldnt hurt to call your TA re:your documents. Our cruise is dec 22 and we have our docs

We'll be going December 9 thru 16... Plan of having a detailed review, menues, etc. posted here on Monday, December 17... I hope this works for all of you...

Andy, thank you in advance for your pics, reviews, and menus, etc! :D Are you on the St. Martin itinerary or the Dominican Republic? If you are doing DR, any info on the ports would be greatly appreciated also. We (3 couples)are sailing March 9, 2008 in suites. We got a great price!

You must be really excited as you set sail in 12 days! :D Have a great time and try not to think about all of us back here! ;)

Sarasotabea:

I agree with njs - would not hurt to call your TA... I assume you booked thru a TA or online agency? Otherwise Costa's tickets should have arrived already... they're pretty organized and pretty fast.

Cabins will have both, 110V American Outlets and 220V European Outlets. For all those who are concerned about an electical outlet in the bathroom - if you're in a standard cabin (besides any suites) you will have one outlet in the bathroom (above the mirror, towards the ceiling - for safety reasons). Any suites have more "bathroom" outlets, including in the main bath and the little dressing room just prior to your main bath.

You'll have a great time!!! You must be from Sarasota, FL??? I'm just south of you, Fort Myers!

Dolphin Girl:

We're cruising the South-Eastern route (as we have done the "regular" Eastern and Western now several times) and are looking forward to the ports and of course the cruise itself! Our itinerary takes us out of Fort Lauderdale to Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, Tortola and Bahamas, before we're coming back again :( . That last night is always such a bummer... times flies way too fast on a cruise ship!

I assume you're going on the Eastern Route, which includes Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Catalina Island/La Romana and Bahamas?

If you're going to St. Thomas and enjoy beautiful beaches and nature, St. John is an awesome place to go... it's only about 25-30 minutes by barge or about 15-20 minutes with a passenger ferry! Well worth discovering and if you like to snorkel... St. John is the place!

Sure I'll report in detail as I did with all previous cruises... if you need to know anything specific, let me know and I'll find out... otherwise I'll post a novel here, covering everything from embarkation to disembarkation...

Dolphin Girl:

We're cruising the South-Eastern route (as we have done the "regular" Eastern and Western now several times) and are looking forward to the ports and of course the cruise itself! Our itinerary takes us out of Fort Lauderdale to Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, Tortola and Bahamas, before we're coming back again :( . That last night is always such a bummer... times flies way too fast on a cruise ship!

I assume you're going on the Eastern Route, which includes Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Catalina Island/La Romana and Bahamas?

If you're going to St. Thomas and enjoy beautiful beaches and nature, St. John is an awesome place to go... it's only about 25-30 minutes by barge or about 15-20 minutes with a passenger ferry! Well worth discovering and if you like to snorkel... St. John is the place!

Sure I'll report in detail as I did with all previous cruises... if you need to know anything specific, let me know and I'll find out... otherwise I'll post a novel here, covering everything from embarkation to disembarkation...

Yes, you've pegged our itinerary, we've done the Western Caribbean several times. We live 75 miles from Galveston, TX, so it's easy for us.

We are considering going to St. Johns for the day, but one person in our party doesn't do well on small boats. The couple of spots we tender in, may be enough for her!

Do you know if you can book the specialty restaurant before boarding? Since we are in a suite, it's free, and would like a reservation for the evening we leave St. Thomas. I think this may be a popular night. If we can't book early, I'm hoping our butler can make sure we have a reservation.

Could you please also note if the "adult" pool or area is really adult, or does the staff ignore the children. This is really a problem on Carnival, but I'm hoping it's not on Costa. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, but like some quiet splash free time too!

Looking forward to you reviews. Thanks for all you information and tips.

You have it right I live on Siesta Key - Sarasota. I'll be taking the cruise connections bus to the ship. I'm always interested in the speciality resturant, but how much is it and since it wouldn't be much fun dining alone, i'll have to see if I hook up with folks on board. Tortola is the only new port for me and I'm hoping to catch a ferry over to Virgin Gorda instead of a Costa tour. I'll call my booking agent and check on the tickets. I was supposed to travel with a friend, but I think a surgery might definately have me travelling solo. I'm a bit nervous about a new line for me since I am unfamiliar and I know Royal Caribbean and Celebrity like the back of my hand. What is the age group like? Are there many kids? Is there usually a late and active night life? I just came back from doing the Panama Canal to South America on the Infinify and it was a much older crowd than usual and the ship went to sleep at 1 am. Bea

Dolphin Girl:

We never had any problems with the reservations for the specialty restaurant. Usually we decided on a night and then let our butler know. Your butler will be happy to do it for you... simply let him know your day and time and he or she will do the rest.

About the pool: I know that the adult pool is the aft pool and I really never seen any problems with kids. It probably also depends on when you're sailing (school break or not) if you have more or less kids on board. Never bothered me and never recall any kids splashing in the pool... Don't know about the enforcement.

If you have Catalina Island on your itinerary it is a nice beach stop and a great place to relax, have a massage on the beach (by ship staff - look for the specials in your TODAY onboard info) and to have a lush BBQ (also brought from the ship) in a tropical setting! It's awesome and we enjoyed it to the fullest. Many just stay right by the dock where you tender to the ship. So if you want to walk on the wooden walkway a bit, it will get more and more quiet - although if you're hungry, the big "hut" is the kitchen, and that's where the food will be served. We did stay on board in La Romana and enjoyed the ship as we heard many people which did not recommend going out by yourself (safety).

SarasotaBea:

Usually there's a broad mix of people. Average age might be around 40? That's just a guess though! There are late night activities... the most popular is the disco where they have different "theme" nights (50's, Disco, etc.) and will have high energy dance music until the early hours (I think it's 3 or 4 AM).

Thanks for the info, makes me feel better. I'll stop worrying and start packing. I'm guessing that dress is upscale for evening and the code is enforced. I'm looking forward to a new adventure. I guess I can contact the Costa Club person on board and get credit for previous cruises with their other lines. Is there going to be some kind of get together with the folks that have been communicating? Bea

Definately, Bea... check out the Roll Call Forum here... We have quiet a few people for the December 9 cruise... and several other ones!

We're planning of getting together and meet in person probably the first day (sea day) somewhere in a lounge. It's always fun to meet old friends, make new ones and mingle in person without a keyboard and staring at a screen.

Dress code varies from day to day...

Night 1 - Casual

Night 2 - Formal (Welcoming Gala Night)

Night 3 - Casual (Mediterranean Night)

Night 4 - Casual (Italian Night - encouraged to wear Red, White & Green)

Night 5 - Casual (Tropical Night)

Night 6 - Formal (Farewell Gala Night)

Night 7 - TOGA, TOGA, TOGA!!!! :D (what more can I say!?)

Formal nights are not only tux and evening gown. You'll see a broad array of people dressed from very formal to more business after hour. You won't be admitted to the dining room in denim/jeans, tank top or shorts... that's for sure!

Hi Everyone, Looking forward to everyone posts of their trips on Costa.

Ours is on the Fortuna on Jan 6, 08 (3 staterooms-9 People)

Our first on Costa...

Some basic questions...

About when should i receive my docs from Costa....

Do you receive luggage tags for your stateroom and such with those docs...

Cruise4Andy mentioned last time he got to the port at 10:30am for fast easy checkin...Was this the Ft Lauderdale Port

Thanks for you info and help everyone and enjoy your upcoming trips... Ill be watching the ships webcams and any and all posts about it....

rocket... I'm sure you can count on us all who will sail prior to your cruise to report back here at CC...

If you booked directly through Costa, you'll receive an UPS letter with your cruise docs/tickets. It's like a little booklet with all kind of info in it, including your luggage bands (you'll find them printed with your cabin number all the way in the back of your book).

You should receive your documents within the next week or so, so look out for an envelope from Italy! Now if you booked through a TA or online agency, ticket distribution varies widely - from six weeks prior to sailing to just a few days prior to departure... We got ours at the end of October for the December 9 sailing... so about 6 weeks prior!

Yes, the port we always departed from was Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale.

Archived