Booked the Sun April 5... Scuba question

Perkolater

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but since I am curious about choosing between multiple ports, I thought I would start here.

Anyway..I just (today) booked a cruise on the Sun for April 5 as a Christmas gift for my wife. I am a diver, she is not. I would like to go diving once while on the cruise, but since she is not a diver she will be left on her own while I go diving. My question is, which port should I choose for diving? Obviously I would like a nice dive, but more importantly I want to make sure my wife has a good time on her own while I am under water.

If anyone has recommendations for where I can go for a good dive while knowing that my wife is having a good time and is SAFE, which port (Roatan, Belize or Cozumel) would best meet both objectives?

My priority is enjoying the trip with my wife, but if I can also fit in a dive while knowing she is happy, that would be a plus.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Without knowing anything about your wife's age or interests, this is a bit tricky. Probably the best diving is in Belize, but most likely an unattached woman ashore would be most entertained in Cozumel.

Without knowing anything about your wife's age or interests, this is a bit tricky. Probably the best diving is in Belize, but most likely an unattached woman ashore would be most entertained in Cozumel.

Good point. I guess it is a rather broad question.

We are both in our mid 40s.

She is (we are) much more into a nice beach with a book, or maybe some shopping rather than going "bar hopping" (especially when we are not together). A nice beach, with a corona or two, and her toes in the sand are right up her alley.

If the best answer is to stick together, I am fine with that too.

Thanks!

My husband and I have the opposite situation, I am the scuba diver and he is not. We have been on that same cruise twice because we loved it so much. That said, I chose to dive in Cozumel, because we wanted to see the ruins in Belize together and in Roatan we did the beach break together, he does snorkel. Now, in Cozumel we have been there several times so, he knew exactly what he wanted to do. He took the ferry over to Playa del Carmen and went to the bird sanctuary, then to an internet cafe while I went diving.

Knowing most women though she probably isn't going for that to entertain herself, but the shopping is really good in Cozumel and she can entertain herself for the time you are diving, just give her some $$$ and I am sure she will have a really good time shopping.

Agree though that the diving in Belize is really tops, just is a long boat ride from where the ship will be tendered. Some of those on our cruise said it was a long rough ride. That was in February though.

Good Diving no matter which you choose.

Cindy

Perkolater,

First off, Belize isn't an option. The port area is pretty safe, but there are no beaches, except where the diving is, and that's out on the barrier reefs, 45 minutes to an hour offshore. Cozumel is an option, but your wife would have to travel by taxi to the National Park, away from downtown, and shopping, to find a nice beach, or buy a day pass at one of the beachfront hotels. Roatan has some great beaches, but not much where the ship docks, and again a day pass to one of the resorts would be a possibility.

From a diving point of view, Roatan would be great diving for you, and if your wife did a day SHOREX beach excursion on her own, like Fantasy Island, would probably meet both of your expectations. Cozumel would be my next choice, but you can shop, and shop, and shop, and by the time you make two dives, she wouldn't have much time to beach it, but you might meet back on the ship and head out again for some beach time together close to the dock at one of the beachfront establishments for a couple of Coronas.;)

Thanks for all the tips and info!

Kelly, I saw your roll call thread and the mantasports.com link, is that the outfit you are doing your snorkeling/dive with? I didn't see anything about diving on their site, did I miss it somewhere? That might work out perfectly!!!

Thanks again to all. I have plenty of time to do my homework, but really appreciate the advice from those who are familiar with these ports.

Steve

Archived