Going to Dubrovnik

Hi -- We're contemplating a cruise along the Dalmatian coast for next September, and I'm thinking about trying to arrange our own airfare. Do you have any suggestions for airlines? And where is the airport in relation to the city? Will we have trouble trying to go from the airport to the cruise ship? Thanks!

Well, maybe I have it wrong, but I think that whole Croatian west coast is called the Dalmatian coast. Please someone let me know if I'm wrong. It's the east coast of the Adriatic Sea with Italy to the west and Croatia to the east. Anyway, this Windsurf cruise will concentrate on the ports to the north and south of Dubrovnik. My concern is to find out just how hard it is to fly into Dubrovnik since this is where the cruise originates. So far I've found only a British Air flight that goes there with the connection in Heathrow. I'd prefer avoiding Heathrow and British Air, and I wonder if anyone else has flown there on another airline since I'm also trying to book my air independently of the cruiseline.

Cool Cruiser: You are indeed correct, the area which Windstar is crusing this year is the Dalmatian Coast. If you are taking the cruise which begins in Dubrovnik, I suggest you check the airfare from windstar, as you will not find a better price. The best flights into Dubrovnik and out of Zagreb are on Croatian air connecting via Frankfurt to your home in the US. May I also suggest that you look into coming to Dubrovnik, "The Pearl of the Adriatic" at least 5 days earlier to enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Windstar should have a pre hotel package and I believe they use the Hilton Imperial Hotel on their cruise. It is in a very good location within walking distance to "Stari Grad" (old town). On 15 January 2008 I am moving from the US to Dubrovnik and will be there when your ship comes into the old port. Hvala (thank you)

I'm not sure I understand your post. We were just in Dubrovnik, but part of a cruise.

Is Dubrovnik the town you would fly into to take this cruise along the Dalmation Coast? (never heard of it)

Dubrovnick and Split are the two main towns/cities on the Dalmation coast.

Suprised you`ve never heard of it. Still. :p

Dear Croatian Travel Lady, Hvala! I will learn that word before our cruise. I like your idea very much of arriving in Dubrovnik early. We had a day there this summer on another cruise and determined to go back and see more of that beautiful coastline. We walked the wall and had a lovely day. We are intending to book our air independently -- is there another hotel you would recommend besides the Hilton? We'd prefer something that would probably be a little less touristy. -- Lynn

Zdravao (hello): The reason I recommended the Hilton is that it is the old Imperial hotel and it is within walking distance to Stari Grad (old town). Another property is the Villa Argentina, a lovely grande dame. The seaside view will make you wish never to leave. Are you booked on the September Windstar cruise which begins in Dubrovnik? That is one of the nicest times to be in Croatia, the weather this past year was perfect. Do remember that the Adriatic sea is a body of COLD water, so you may not be able to swim just depends on how much time you've been in warm water, Hawaii etc. There is a very old hotel in the middle of town which is ok, but some ares in the old city stop partying at 3am and wake up at 630am. You also have the option of getting a private apartment for 5 days, one that has a small kitchenette and bath and costs much less. Again staying in town can be sleepless in Dubrovnik. Be careful on your airline choices from US to Europe. Croatian air is one of the only ways to get into the country, they have a very, very small fleet and most every flight has a connection in Zagreb. Croatian air has signed on with the Star alliance, and your best connection to Dubrovnik is via Frankfurt on Lufthansa or United (ugh hate them). Most other airlines will not interline your bags, so you must have a minimum connecting time on the continent of 4 to 5 hours as you must clear passport, customs and pick up your bags and reenter the airport from the beginning. I did this in Zurich and almost lost my mind. What city are you departing from in the US? Go to Kayak.com for an overview of airfares, it's good beginning spot to see what is out there. Croatian air does not sell seats this far out, most other airlines will confirm your flights a maximum of 330 days in advance, which means your return flight must be in that time frame. Again, check the amount that Windstar is charging and see if you can beat it, sometimes yes but more often not. See you in Dubrovnik I hope.

Adio (see you later).

Zradavao! And hvala once again! Thank you so much for all the information. As you mentioned, the only flights I have found from LAX to Dubrovnik are either on British Air (where we don't have enough miles to upgrade) and on Lufthansa/United (where we do but I'm not thrilled with them either.) We're trying to avoid an independent booking within Europe for the reasons you mentioned.

I have another question: how far is the airport (DBV) from the city (or at least from one of your recommended hotels which I will research.) Probably the Hilton. What transportation would you recommend for our transfer? And you're right, so far Windstar has the best coach fare, but I'm still trying to do that upgrade. Adio.

Zdravo: The Cilipi airport is about a 40 minute drive into the old city. There is taxi service, but they will try to up the price on Americans. I never checked to see if the Hilton has a pick up service, many of the hotels have somthing. Whatever you do, DO NOT rent a car as driving there is worse than an LA freeway. If you do go with Windstar air they should provide transfers into town, if you buy their precruise hotel package. Am I correct in that you are coming into Dubrovnik on one of the September cruises? I am leaving the US in January to move over there and I hope I don't freeze as it is cold, windy and very, very quiet. Come September it will be perfect weather, but full of tourists. I will be doing daytrips at that time, not the usual churchs and museums, but something rather different and more interesting. Adio (see you later)

Zdravo, once again, and thank you for being so responsive. Our plans are to arrive on the 18th or 19th of September, leaving on the Windsurf cruise on the 21st. From your last note, it sounds like you might be doing some guided day trips, is that correct? We could certainly use a guide on one of our days there. My husband and I visited the old city in July and walked the wall and were so charmed with the beauty of the city and the sea. We would like to see a little more on this trip. There will be four of us, all adults. Can you give us recommendations if you're not available? I will see if I can contact the Hilton to see if they have a pick-up service. If they don't, is our only option the over-priced taxi, do you think? No buses or trains or airport shuttles? Hvala and adio, Lynn

Hi Lynn: Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but it is only 44 more days and I leave for Dubrovnik. Needless to say I am gearing up for much cold weather, rain and a very small town during the winter months. Please contact me via one of my personal emails and I will give you more detailed information about my services. Once I arrive in Dubrovnik, I will also have more details about the transfer services offered from airport to the old town. Hope you had a chance to check out the Hilton "Imperial" hotel, she is just a lovely lady who has been updated and is now a perfect location to walk into the "Stari Grad". Also find out if Windstar has a better rate than the hotel directly. Look forward to hearing from you at travelady@comcast.net. Carol

• 1 month later...

2serendip, I've just read the great exchange you had with croatia travelady and wanted to know if she still plans to do day trips from Dubrovnik. We too love the city and surrounding area, and are returning in Aug. We were just there June 07 and took a day trip to Montenegro. Also if you need an alternative choice for a driver I recommend Tom Tours. Tomislav was very good and can arrange an airport transfer too. hvala and adio.

Archived